Clutch pedal spring replacement

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Clutch pedal spring replacement  (Read 1747 times)

Offline 1965 fastback

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 65 Fastback
Clutch pedal spring replacement
« on: May 26, 2023, 12:09:49 am »
I have installed a hydraulic clutch in my 65. It is one of the modern drive line attachments that bolts onto the clutch pedal and moves the firewall mounted master cylinder two inches to the left to allow a brake booster to be mounted.

When the clutch pedal is pressed, it often doesn’t return to its highest point against the stopper. I assume the problem maybe the under dash spring that assists the clutch pedal being pressed in and its return? The spring itself seems super sturdy and taught so wondering if others have experienced an aging or failing spring and replaced it? I have put a kit through the pedal assembly so doubt it is any play in there and the plastic holders the spring sits in have also been replaced.

Any advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 12:12:01 am by 1965 fastback »

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Clutch pedal spring replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 08:42:53 am »
Don't think that's your problem. I have the same MDL clutch actuation set up in mine and, as I think the instructions said but would have to check on this, left the spring off the pedal. My pedal returns all the way no problem.

Again I would have to look up the instructions as I put mine in 9 years ago, but I'd be looking at the turnbuckle gizmo that provides adjustment of the mechanism.

You got all the air out of the system, didn't you?

Offline 1965 fastback

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 11:11:38 am »
Good to know Geoff. Thanks

So I didn’t have to go to the trouble of putting the spring back on… no I don’t know if I have all the air out. Might take the spring off and see what happens from there.

I don’t have great pedal either with the current set up. I need to push the pedal to the floor to get a good change. I know that could mean a range of things but working through them. Air might be the problem or the push rod in the slave is a tad short

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 11:50:07 am »
It's an external slave is it (I have an internal concentric bearing)?

Did you get it from MDL as a matched set with the master? If so, it should be just a matter of adjustment. I did have a lot of trouble bleeding mine both when first fitted and then later when I had the trans out for something else. Perserverance eventually won the day.

Paul Coffey at MDL is very helpful and responsive to emails. He's at Paul@moderndriveline.com

Offline 1965 fastback

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 05:52:38 pm »
No I have an external slave. I wanted to go the concentric but just came down to cost and fear I couldn’t pull it off myself.

I looked up MDL guide on installing the clutch master and it didn’t mention the spring at all so assume it is not required.

I don’t think early Falcons with hydraulic master cylinders needed a spring.