Author Topic: 5L AU  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Mylittlepony1966

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Kevin
  • Car: 66 coupe
5L AU
« on: April 07, 2023, 07:31:11 am »
Anyone know if a 302  AU will have any issues  dropping in to a 66? Are they a roller block?

Not after EFI will keep it with  carby
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 06:33:31 pm by Mylittlepony1966 »

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
Re: 5L AU
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 08:00:09 am »
I assume you want to keep fuel injection?
If so E series is far easier than AU - both are roller motors.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 08:47:46 am »
It'll physically drop right in on the original engine mounts and bolt up to the original C4 or top loader.

As Peter says, if you want to keep the EFI there are a bunch of considerations. Going to a carb still involves some changes to ignition, timing cover/water pump, fuel pump and either way you'll need a 50 ounce flexplate or flywheel rather than the original 28 ounce one.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 09:47:44 am »
Hey Kevin,
As Peter and Geoff said both AU and E series drop right in.
If you want to keep the EFI and modify the engine greatly (injectors, cam, heads, extractors etc.) you need to upgrade the existing ECU to get the benefit. And you’ll need to keep the Cats.

Can be expensive either way!

If you’re happy with the existing power no problem.

Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline Mylittlepony1966

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 02:23:14 pm »
Thanks for the info. Won't be looking at keeping EFI. Tracking the water pump change. What change is required  for timing cover.
Why the heavier flywheel if they bolt straight in? I will do what I need to do, just curious.
Will the electronic Dizzy from 289 fix the ignition as mentioned?
Thanks for your knowledge, I'm blind on this one.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 02:38:44 pm »
The flywheel/flexplate isn't necessarily heavier, its the different imbalance built into the crank. The later roller cam engines have a 50 ounce imbalance compared to the earlier 260/289/302 28 ounce. You'll need a 50 ounce wheel and the AU engine will already have a matching 50 ounce balancer. If you just bolt up your old wheel it'll have a vibration you won't like.

I'm not sure about the timing cover but its possible that to change the water pump you'll also have to change that. The original cooling plumbing on your car has the radiator inlet and outlet on the same LH side. The AU will have had an electric fuel pump and the timing cover may or may not have a blanked off provision for a mechanical one.

Your old distributor may or may not fit, I have a suspicion there are differences in the shaft length and the interface with the oil pump, but in any event you'll need a steel gear on the dizzy that is compatible with the roller cam. The wrong gear will chew up your cam in no time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 02:57:52 pm by GEOFF289 »

Offline Mylittlepony1966

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 02:45:18 pm »
Thanks Geoff

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 06:37:31 pm »
Hey Kevin,

So many things to arrange!

Can you just clear up a few things.
Is your AU engine out of auto or manual. Does it have an existing flywheel or flex plate
Is your car an auto or manual.
Do you have power steering.
Where is your alternator.
Do you have a two groove engine pulley.

Roller engines use reverse rotation water pump and one only serpentine belt and usually need an idler that a V belt doesn’t require.
The Australian 5L use a very good water flow design on the timing chain cover different to the American engine.
You may or may not be able to change it over to normal rotation?
Roller engines also have a different firing order, same as 351W.
Distributor gear also needs to suit as Geoff said, and also drives the oil pump, need to make very certain it is right!

I would buy a new radiator to suit inlet right and outlet left (it’s a better design anyhow, re. Short circuit water flow) if you can run your new belt to suit but you’ll also have to change all your pulleys to serpentine.

I would just fit a low pressure electric fuel pump.

Excuse me if I’m wrong but I’m a bit confused!

After all that is it that necessary for you to fit a roller engine.

Cheers Phil.

Offline Mylittlepony1966

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 08:30:04 pm »
Thanks Phil,
Unsure whether it was an auto or manual. I've tracked one down for $500 locally. All I know at this stage it is from an AU, I have been told that some may be rollers & some may not. I'm not wedded either way, I have a new water pump  here for the 289, I'm hoping it will bolt straight on & sort the water pump issue.
Mine is auto LHD with power steering. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too much admin. I haven't  picked the motor up yet. Starting to think it is a bit of work.
My alternator is on the same side as the steering wheel, on the right looking from the front.
Currently  have 2 groove on 289 that is in it.
The flex plate & balancer now make sense.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 08:35:14 pm by Mylittlepony1966 »

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 05:28:42 am »
Thanks Phil,
Unsure whether it was an auto or manual. I've tracked one down for $500 locally. All I know at this stage it is from an AU, I have been told that some may be rollers & some may not. I'm not wedded either way, I have a new water pump  here for the 289, I'm hoping it will bolt straight on & sort the water pump issue.
Mine is auto LHD with power steering. I was hoping it wasn't going to be too much admin. I haven't  picked the motor up yet. Starting to think it is a bit of work.
My alternator is on the same side as the steering wheel, on the right looking from the front.

Hey Kevin,
All AU and EL are roller engines. This was the new Australian (old modified Windsor) engine Ford used after going back to 6 cylinders and before the Modular Engine. (The American 5L Windsor was used in Fox Mustangs and E series vans and F series trucks was virtually the same engine with a different timing chain cover and intake)

AU and EL engines have an (ugly, my opinion) intake long torque tube manifold and plenum that sweeps to the right looking from the front (American engines swept the other way) and nothing like a carburettor intake manifold. Eight square inlets in a line. So you’d be up for a new manifold for a start.
289 water pumps are completely different, you need to google both, you’ll see.
AU and EL are much smaller and flatter.
You’d have to move the alternator to the other side.
The AU should still have alternator brackets on it.
But I’d give that engine a miss! It’ll only cost you money!
Get onto google and search both engines, intakes, alternator locations and brackets etc.
Cheers Phil.

Offline Mylittlepony1966

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 06:32:18 am »
Thanks mate. A wealth of knowledge  there.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 09:28:23 am »
Thanks Phil,

You're existing set up has the alternator on the driver's side (LHD)? That ain't original so someone's been fiddling around in there already. A bit strange.