Alternator Issue Maybe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Alternator Issue Maybe  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Tang67

• Stallion
Alternator Issue Maybe
« on: March 20, 2023, 11:25:52 am »
Hello Brains-Trust,

I’m somewhat mechanically capable, but when in comes to ANYTHING electrical ‘here be dragons’ … don’t understand any of it.

The Story:

Had a trickle charger on the battery for over a week – 1967 ‘C’-code with factory air-conditioning and power steering. No other modifications, but (still) looking to get a Petronix or MSD. Have always had issues with headlights switching on/off continuously – could be a switch, earth or perhaps alternator issue?

Saturday: went to start the car – nothing. No little green light on the battery. It was pretty old so got the NRMA to replace it and the car started and ran normally. Didn’t reconnect the trickle charger.

Sunday: went to restart the car – battery dead. Called out the NRMA, he used the power bank thing they carry to restart the car and monitor it. The car idled normally. He reckoned it was probably the alternator, gave it a tap with a steel bar and confirmed the alternator is cactus – don’t know how that would confirm anything other than maybe a change in the reading on his monitor.

Does this all sound legit? I’ve read about ‘parasitic battery drain’, so there could also be other things too.

What advice do you recommend? If it’s a replacement alternator, any suggestions on what to get and are there any other parts needed at the same time? Is it just a matter of removing the old one and installing a new one?

Maybe a trip to an Auto Electrician if a new alternator doesn’t fix things?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

T67

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
Re: Alternator Issue Maybe
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 12:39:15 pm »
Giving the alternator a whack is an old trick.
It reseats the brushes and get it charging again (short term)
If your capable it will only need a set of brushes.
If your not confident then get it repaired, reconditioned or new.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 05:36:43 pm »
Does it still have the old style regulator beside the radiator. It could be a problem with that. If you update the altenator, you made need to get an auto elec to bypass the regulator. Good luck

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 10:25:13 pm »
Bad brushes on an alternator will not discharge a new fully charged alternator overnight.
People invest in a multimeter
Remove the lead from the charged battery
Get your new multimeter and place in amp range place in series between battery and lead, expect to see 0-30mA allowing for alarm or radio memory.
If you see greater than that and if discharging overnight I expect greater than 1A
Start with the obvious light glove box light then start pulling fuses until it stops drawing current
To check you alternator start the car and you should see 14V typically across the battery under 12.6v the battery is discharging ie bad alternator or wiring

does anyone remember laughter

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 10:37:12 am »
Always worth checking the simple things. You haven't inadvertently turned your headlight switch all the way anti clockwise and forgotten it have you? I flattened my battery this way as the dash lights and interior lights under the dash stayed on after I closed the door. Those lights, in mine anyway, are not all that bright and I never noticed they were on.

Offline Tang67

• Stallion
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 05:56:53 pm »

Thanks everyone, so a courtesy update:

1. GEOFF289 - certainly an important thing to check, but no switches left on - I tend to be fairly stringent with switches after too many flat batteries and the resultant shits from getting either jump starts or replacements.

2. So, have replaced the alternator, a new voltage regulator and a new starter solenoid just so it's not a time-consuming piecemeal drama. The old wiring has certainly seen better days, so probably due for a full overhaul replacement loom i.e to do away with all the shoddy shit people have done to her over the decades e.g. upgraded stereos, speakers and bodgie workarounds.

3. Good new: she's ALIVE! It starts and runs well ... pessimistically, at least for the time-being. Don't know if she'll hold a charge because of some other parasitic drain - so will disconnect the battery and leave her on a trickle charger.  :therethere:

Now she's decided to spring a power-steering leak of some significance - it's been leaking for a while, and it's time to have that addressed ASAP.

Anyone know the best way to address the power-steering leak please? It's the original unit, so is a rebuild a choice and any suggestions in the Western Sydney area?

Again, appreciated and thank you in advance.

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Stephen
  • Car: 70 Sportsroof Grabber pac
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 07:16:23 pm »
Mr Racks in Blacktown can do the power steering I reckon.
Old guy, old shop, old tools.

Address: 10A Turvey Rd, Blacktown NSW 2148
Phone: (02) 9620 6588

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 09:12:55 pm »
If it was me unless it looks like it’s been recently rebuilt I would go through the whole thing
Rebuild pump, control valve, ram and replace hoses
Everything is rebuildable and readily available
does anyone remember laughter