Tyres and Rims for 72 Mustang Mach 1

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Tyres and Rims for 72 Mustang Mach 1  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Stang72

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Daniel
  • Car: 1972 Mustang Mach 1
Tyres and Rims for 72 Mustang Mach 1
« on: April 05, 2023, 08:56:26 am »
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at upgrading my tyres and rims on the Stang. I'm currently running some Coys Rims (not my doing-I inherited it that way) with 255/45/R18 on the Rear (8 inch rims) and 215/55/R17 on 7 Inch rims.

I'm looking at the American Racing VN501 in the traditional sizing of 15 inch rims (8 inch rear and 7 inch front) and looking at running the Vitour R1 Tyres in 275/60/15 rear and 235/60/15 fronts. Do you think this will work okay?  I've done the "Will they fit" experiment online and the fronts are within spec of each other but the Rears are different in rolling diameter, but it sounds like I will get some ride height change, which I think isn't a bad thing potentially (I like the rear sitting a bit higher than the front rather than the other way around on these cars)

Any advice/experience with the tyres and set up would be appreciated!

Thanks Dan  :cheers:

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Re: Tyres and Rims for 72 Mustang Mach 1
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 05:11:46 pm »
Hey Daniel,
Those sizes are far too wide, ideal for 7” x 215 and 8” rims x 235.
If you want a bit wider 225/60/15 on front and 245/60/15 maximum for both!
I’ve got 235 on 8” x 18” rims on front and 265 on 9 1/2” x 18” rims on back.

Vitour tyres, Made in China!

I picked this of the net!
BFGoodrich, Bridgestone, Continental, Cooper, Firestone, General, Goodyear, Hankook, Kelly, Kumho, Michelin, Mickey Thompson, Nexen, Nitto, Toyo, and Yokohama currently manufacture tires here in America. But these are not all truly "American" brands.

Complicating national pedigrees further, manufacturers might not build all their models exclusively in any one country, as they seek cost efficiency and address local tire needs, such as supplying car factories.

The BFGoodrich tires made in Canada, China, and the U.S.—but not in the parent corporation's home nation, France. Tires from the Ohio-based Goodyear brand were built in Canada, Chile, Turkey, and the U.S. Firestone tires were sourced from Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, the U.S., and Vietnam. And the tires we tested from Milan-based Pirelli were made in Brazil, Italy, Mexico, and Russia.

Hankook Tire & Technology is the largest tire manufacturer in South Korea. By sales, it is the sixth-biggest player in the global market.

Achilles is a tire brand sold by one of Indonesia's largest tire manufacturers, Multistrada Arah Sarana (MASA). It has been acquired by Michelin and is now part of Michelin's tire portfolio. Is Achilles a good brand of tire? Yes.

Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 07:33:34 pm by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 08:05:23 am »
Hey Daniel,
I’ve noticed a shortage of supply of 15” tyres, mainly due to modern vehicles moving to larger rims.
Before you buy your rims I’d check out your local tyre dealer and get some information on tyre prices and availability.
You may need to go to 16” rims, little difference in look but may get tyres cheaper in the future!
Cheers Phil.

Offline Stang72

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 05:43:10 pm »
Hey Daniel,
Those sizes are far too wide, ideal for 7” x 215 and 8” rims x 235.
If you want a bit wider 225/60/15 on front and 245/60/15 maximum for both!
I’ve got 235 on 8” x 18” rims on front and 265 on 9 1/2” x 18” rims on back.

Vitour tyres, Made in China!

I picked this of the net!
BFGoodrich, Bridgestone, Continental, Cooper, Firestone, General, Goodyear, Hankook, Kelly, Kumho, Michelin, Mickey Thompson, Nexen, Nitto, Toyo, and Yokohama currently manufacture tires here in America. But these are not all truly "American" brands.

Complicating national pedigrees further, manufacturers might not build all their models exclusively in any one country, as they seek cost efficiency and address local tire needs, such as supplying car factories.

The BFGoodrich tires made in Canada, China, and the U.S.—but not in the parent corporation's home nation, France. Tires from the Ohio-based Goodyear brand were built in Canada, Chile, Turkey, and the U.S. Firestone tires were sourced from Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, the U.S., and Vietnam. And the tires we tested from Milan-based Pirelli were made in Brazil, Italy, Mexico, and Russia.

Hankook Tire & Technology is the largest tire manufacturer in South Korea. By sales, it is the sixth-biggest player in the global market.

Achilles is a tire brand sold by one of Indonesia's largest tire manufacturers, Multistrada Arah Sarana (MASA). It has been acquired by Michelin and is now part of Michelin's tire portfolio. Is Achilles a good brand of tire? Yes.

Cheers Phil.

Hi Aussie Phil,

Thanks for the detailed responses appreciate it!

I've looked on the BF Goodrich site and they suggest 6.5 to 8.0 rims for the 235's and 7.5 to 9.5 for the 275's.

I currently have 255s on the rear now with an 8 inch rim, so may just stick to that sizing.

I really want to stick to 15 inch as the original sizing and the RWL tyres for that old skool look.

I'm in the car industry and to be honest most tyres now come out of China, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand. Nothing really is American made anymore.  I had BF Goodrich on a car before and they were poor and not worth the $$$.  I've seen good reviews re Cobra Cooper, Mastercraft and Vitours from alot of old school car guys that have run them that don't rate the BF's anymore.....

Hard to know which way to go I guess........

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 06:35:30 pm »
Hey Daniel,

This chart shows additional the tyre profile which is different than the chart I was going off.
So Saying that you’re probably right with your choice.

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

This was the chart I originally went off.

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyre-equivalence-advice.html

One more thing, you’d easily fit 8” rims on the front of your 72, I think with 4 1/2” backspace.
I have 8” rims on my 68 with 4 1/2” backspace but 4 5/8” backspace would be better for wheel ache clearance. The car is lowish and stiff, Shelby drop and I run a fair bit of camber!

Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 07:10:19 pm by AussiePhil »

Offline Stang72

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 09:06:51 pm »
Hey Daniel,

This chart shows additional the tyre profile which is different than the chart I was going off.
So Saying that you’re probably right with your choice.

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

This was the chart I originally went off.

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyre-equivalence-advice.html

One more thing, you’d easily fit 8” rims on the front of your 72, I think with 4 1/2” backspace.
I have 8” rims on my 68 with 4 1/2” backspace but 4 5/8” backspace would be better for wheel ache clearance. The car is lowish and stiff, Shelby drop and I run a fair bit of camber!

Cheers Phil.

Hey Phil,

Thanks for that chary, ok sounds good. Yeah tossing up re 7's on the fronts or 8's..........

275/60/R15 have about 24mm or so more rolling diameter than what I have currently so could potentially be too much do you think???

Cheers

Dan

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 08:13:04 am »

275/60/R15 have about 24mm or so more rolling diameter than what I have currently so could potentially be too much do you think???

Cheers

Dan

Hey Dan,
24mm in diameter equates much more in circumference, so yes you need to get it closer if you want to keep speed ratio the same, it would also effect you speedometer accuracy.
Your Tyre Service will advise a tyre to suit.

Cheers Phil.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 11:26:04 am »
Hey Dan,
Found a tyre overlay calculator to use!

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-45r18-255-55r18

Cheers Phil.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 11:35:53 am »
Hey Dan,
Here’s another for Mach 1 1972 Mustang.
It’s a beauty.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/1972/839720/ford_mustang_mach_i_351_h_o.html#gsc.tab=0

Cheers Phil.

Offline Stang72

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 08:19:08 pm »
Hey Dan,
Here’s another for Mach 1 1972 Mustang.
It’s a beauty.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/1972/839720/ford_mustang_mach_i_351_h_o.html#gsc.tab=0

Cheers Phil.

Hey Phil

Thanks so much, you are a legend! Have a great rest of your Easter!

:cheers:Dan