test Drive Question

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: test Drive Question  (Read 2315 times)

Offline skinner36

• Worked
  • Name: John
  • Car: 1965 FB
test Drive Question
« on: March 04, 2023, 11:49:09 am »
Hi,
I will be selling my ’65 fastback soon and I would like to ask a question or two about allowing potential buyers taking it for a test drive.

Firstly, I was thinking that I will go with anyone who wants to take it for a drive.

Secondly, I was going to drive to a local industrial area (not much traffic) for them to test.

Apart from that, what are your recommendations when someone comes to look at the car?
Do I allow everyone who comes to take it for a test drive?
How do you filter out genuine buyers from those who just want to have a drive (tyre kickers)?

Any thoughts and suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks

John

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
Re: test Drive Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 01:43:13 pm »
Always very worrying - especially with a special car like yours.

Carsales provides some good tips - https://help.carsales.com.au/hc/en-gb/articles/203764309-Safety-tips-for-sellers

Things like
  • meeting in a neutral location, like outside the local police station.
  • insist on seeing their drivers licence first - and take a photo of it
  • take another person with you (maybe in a separate car to observe - and take video if necessary)

I'd also suggest with a car like yours - they only get to drive it if they are really serious.  And putting down a $1000 deposit will ensure they are serious.

Take care - there are bad people out there!

Shane

Offline skinner36

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 01:48:06 pm »
Thanks Shane,

Good stuff to add to the list,
John

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 03:46:03 pm »
I agree with Shane on those points, also I would ask some questions before in regard to classic Mustang, just to test the knowledge of the person.
If they have no clue, I wouldn't allow to test drive it, because most probably they are not serious.

Personally I would not ask for a deposit for test drive (unless the car is very expensive), but definitely I would ask for a decent deposit if they ask to keep the car on hold for them.
fred

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 10:28:51 am »
some good advice above - the carsales advice is very generic so not particularly suited to selling rare collector cars.

So - talk to the potential buyer, gauge their knowledge of the model you are selling. What is their experience with older cars, have they owned one before and do they know what they're looking for/at? Ask them, do they have the funds available and are they ready to buy?
Check that they don't have to get their wife's permission first - there are a bunch of people who are just tyre kickers - and if they are serious, meet somewhere neutral and take THEM for a drive.

When I sold my Cobra, I only had two people look at it - they both flew in so I was aware they were pretty serious and they both drove it with me in the passenger seat. Plan out a route that YOU want THEM to drive - a route that will show off the characteristics of your car - hills, twisty roads etc, not a freeway for instance.

As a buyer, I would want more than a drive around an industrial estate to convince me, but here are my thoughts on vetting your potential buyer/drivers for a high-dollar car:

1] meet somewhere neutral
2] take them for the first drive - show what the car is capable of within your normal boundaries - rev limits, braking, tire use, cornering etc.
3] Tell them your preferred process for selling it is for YOU to drive them, illustrate the car. They should get a good idea of what it's like from that and that you expect to negotiate a price subject to a test drive BEFORE they test drive. If their intent is to low-ball you then no-drive. You should get a feel for how serious they are about your car and about buying it. Talk about HOW payment would be made? Bank cheque, or transfer etc before the car leaves your possession, amount of deposit etc. Then if you are in the ballpark or have agreed a price, they get to drive the car and YOU go with them at all times. Make it clear and get their agreement that - if they crash the car - they have to buy it for the agreed price no matter what, no ifs buts or maybes.

4] If they find a legitimate issue with the car, then you can negotiate - then there's little subjective bullshit about "ah, it just feels rougher than I expected, you should knock $10K off".

If it feels that rough, they shouldn't buy it.

5] At a minimum view or get a copy of their license.
6] Agree the rev-limit, speed, risk etc beforehand. You sit in the passenger seat and hand them the keys, do not walk around the car with the keys in the ignition etc.

Be realistic about the above, and be prepared to modify it to suit your particular situation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 10:34:59 am by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline skinner36

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 10:52:14 am »
@Jiffy, Some excellent suggestions there. Thanks for that.

John

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 02:33:20 pm »
I'd go with Jiffy's process every day of the week!

Especially the last point - when you finally let them test drive it keep the keys in your hand until you are sitting in the passenger seat and then hand them over to start the drive.  A conman is always faster at getting seated and driving off than you are!

Offline fredm666

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 03:20:51 pm »
Jeff's comment is spot on.

Also I suggest to not advertise your car on gumtree, it is a waste of time and it is full of idiots sending idiotic messages.
fred

Offline skinner36

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 03:22:40 pm »
Hi Fred,

Maybe just advertise it on carsales then?

John

Offline fredm666

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 03:52:02 pm »
Hi Fred,

Maybe just advertise it on carsales then?

John

Yes, carsales is a good starting point, even though you need to pay a fee for the ad. When I advertised my Cobra most of the responses I got came from genuine potential buyers (one of them from interstate). Two of them had test driven the car, I ended up selling it to one of these two.
Of course your car is more valuable so, as Jiffy said, extra caution is recommended during test drives.
fred