302 windsor dating and firing order.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 302 windsor dating and firing order.  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Phillip28

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Phillip
302 windsor dating and firing order.
« on: February 23, 2023, 07:40:43 pm »
Hi all my reconditioned 302 windsor is ready to fire up but I’m not sure on firing order as have read  there are 2 types and depends on year ? The only engine numbers on the block are as follows and we’re at the rear by the flywheel
Jglw
Pa29267
Any help appreciated thanks
Phil.

Offline 6t9m1

• Thoroughbred
Re: 302 windsor dating and firing order.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 09:47:10 pm »
Above the starter motor there are letters and numbers that are cast into the block.
Note you may need to remove starter to clearly see them.
Can you post these so we can identify the 302 you have?

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 07:08:19 am »
Makes no difference what block you have you need to know what camshaft is fitted.
Is it flat tappet or roller cam?
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Phillip28

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 08:57:43 am »
Hi it’s a roller camshaft believe cobra ?

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 10:26:30 am »
If you believe its a roller cam 5.0 it probably is. There will be a lot more of those being reco'd than early flat tappet 302's. There are differences in the blocks but the most obvious ones are in the valley with the lifter bores and bosses etc for the spider. What heads does it have? If they're any of the Ford iron heads this'll give you a clue, e.g. if they're GT40 heads it'll be a roller.

Its not impossible that an early 302 has been modified to run a roller cam as it can be done but its really not very likely.

The 5.0 roller cam firing order is 13726548. The early 302's are 15426378. Just fit the dizzy with no. 1 at TDC on the compression stroke and run the leads according to the 5.0 firing order. if you have the dizzy in the ballpark it'll run and you can refine the timing from there.

Offline Phillip28

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 10:35:14 am »
Ok thanks heaps

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 01:49:56 pm »
To be sure, take of your rocker covers, hand crank it around to 1 tdc an crank it slowly taking note of which intake valve opens next, 3 or 5,
There’s your answer? Fiddly but certain

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 02:06:00 pm »
To be sure, take of your rocker covers, hand crank it around to 1 tdc an crank it slowly taking note of which intake valve opens next, 3 or 5,
There’s your answer? Fiddly but certain

That's good advice too. Fiddliness can be reduced by just taking off the RH rocker cover and see if 3 opens after 1. If 4 is the next one you see its the old 302 firing order.

After my earlier post it occurred to me that in the remote chance its an old flat tappet job you're supposed to run the engine at a fast idle for 20 minutes or so on first start up to properly bed the cam in, so I think watching the valves as suggested is worth the trouble.

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 02:20:48 pm »
Just touching on something quite obvious but over looked, you say recently reconditioned, who did it and can’t you verify with them.?
If it is a flat tapper cam make sure you use a high ZDDP oil for Initial break in, l would use this oil with an any break in actually,