Electrical issue - draining battery - ideas please

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Electrical issue - draining battery - ideas please  (Read 5246 times)

Offline spp65

• Stallion
Electrical issue - draining battery - ideas please
« on: November 15, 2022, 11:46:51 am »
Would love some tips on how to diagnose this issue.

65 Mustang which is pretty stock standard.
New alternator, new voltage regulator and new battery.

With ignition off, the battery is being drained and the previous (new) mechanical voltage regulator was ticking. I assumed it was a faulty voltage regulator and swapped it for an electronic version. Battery is still draining. I have disconnected the radio and anything else I have fitted that could be drawing power. I have disconnected the wires from the ignition switch to the starter relay. Battery is still draining. Can I assume it is a faulty starter relay?
What else should I check?

A recommendation of an mobile auto electrician that services eastern suburbs of Melbourne also appreciated.

thanks
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:51:58 pm by spp65 »

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Electrical issue - draining battery - ideas please
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 01:43:19 pm »
Do the interior lights under the dash work? Presume you've checked obvious things like interior light not going off when the door shuts due to faulty door switch? The old single filament globes used in the interior lights can be pretty dim and mightn't be obvious they're on in daylight at least. 

Another possibility is that the dash lights are on as a result of turning the headlight switch all the way anti clockwise. This will also bring on the interior lights even with door shut but if the latter don't work, globes burnt out or missing, you'd be even less likely to notice your dash lights are on in daylight.

I flattened my battery by leaving the dash lights and therefore the interior lights on while checking the dash lights in daylight, just forgot to turn them off and never noticed the interior lights stayed on when I shut the door.

I don't have any expertise, but I gather a lot of electrical problems are caused by earthing issues. Might be worth checking both the negative battery to engine block connection and the other earth from rear of engine block or head to the firewall.

Offline Blue Oval

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 03:17:41 pm »
Pull all the fuses and put them back one by one checking for current drain. That is set your multimeter to current (change test wires over also) then disconnect the earth from the battery and use the multimeter in series with the earth terminal to the earth on the battery.
 1966 GT Coupe. AFR 185 heads, Hyd Roller cam.  1/4 mile 11.21 sec @123mph

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 04:13:56 pm »
good advice on pulling fuses and checking current flow.
I got caught out wiring a voltage regulator wrong and had the excite on the alternator permanently powered rather than only when the ignition was on. Check with a meter for 12v on the small third wire to the alternator when ignition off.
does anyone remember laughter