1965 Brake (Stop) light functionality

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1965 Brake (Stop) light functionality  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Matthew Barletta

• Matty Barletta
  • L Plates
  • MOCA NSW mbr since Aug 2021
  • Name: Matthew
  • Car: 65 mustang Convertible
1965 Brake (Stop) light functionality
« on: November 03, 2022, 09:46:40 am »
Question: My brake (Stop) Lights have stopped responding when I push the brake pedal. I know the circuit breaker for the Stop lights is in the Headlamp switch but the headlamps work (High and low beam) and the tail lights also work. I have checked the bulbs and grounds and they all fine. I know the wiring goes through the turn signal switch after the brake switch, but both the indicators work front and back. In the absence of a multi-meter/voltmeter, I un-clipped and jumped the wires from the brake (Stop) light switch with a wire to see if the lights would come on, and it turns out they don't - so from that I guess there is an issue with getting power to or from the switch. Is it possible the turn switch is faulty if the indicators still work, of that there is an issue with the Headlamp switch if all the other lights work, or do I likely have a break in wiring somewhere? kindest Regards, and thanks in advance. Matt. (p.s) I'm going to get a meter, just not 100% on how to use one yet.

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: 1965 Brake (Stop) light functionality
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 01:31:14 pm »
I had no end of trouble with my stop light switch. Tried shimming the switch, tried a new switch, nothing made it reliable and effective.

I ended up removing it from the system and replacing it with a microswitch activated by the pedal arm moving the lever on the switch. No more problems, lights come on with the slightest pressure on the pedal and before the brakes themselves apply. Its infinitely adjustable and cost virtually nothing.

https://forum.mustang.org.au/index.php/topic,32700.msg313991.html#msg313991

Offline Matthew Barletta

• Matty Barletta
  • L Plates
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 09:36:01 pm »
Thanks for that,  found a circuit checker,  confirmed power into and out of the headlamp switch, confirmed power into and out of the brake switch,  next need to check the turn switch, but a threaded screw head is making it hard to get the steering wheel off. Appreciate the info on the other switch. 

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 09:00:01 am »
My issues weren't electrical, they were the mechanical operation of the switch and its interaction with the pedal.

Offline Matthew Barletta

• Matty Barletta
  • L Plates
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 08:25:58 pm »
Thanks for all your feedback,  figured it out, but only got there when a friend came and helped me out. by myself,  I couldn't be at the brake pedal and at the tail lights at the same time,  it took one of us wiggling the bulb at the same time as the brake was applied to realise that the terminals inside the light bulb socket needed to be rotated about 15 degrees inside the housing.  Such a simple thing that I wouldn't have been able to figure out without a second pair of hands.  thanks for an your help. 

Online GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 08:56:58 am »
Glad you got it sorted. You should replace those feeble dinosaur incandescent globes with an LED set up. The brightness difference is huge, along with a big reduction in current draw which will help avoid other problems in future.