Battery (Trickle) Charger

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Battery (Trickle) Charger  (Read 8846 times)

Offline Tang67

• Stallion
Battery (Trickle) Charger
« on: September 20, 2022, 05:11:58 pm »
Hello Brains-Trust,

I recently purchased a Victron Energy 12V 5A Blue Smart Charger for my 67 Mustang ... they were on sale, offer perhaps too good to refuse!

Typically, the two cables are meant to connect to the respective terminals on the battery, however, some fora suggest connecting one cable to the battery and the other to the chassis.

Does anyone have experience with chargers and the reasoning behind full battery connection versus battery/chassis connection?

Thanks in advance.

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
Re: Battery (Trickle) Charger
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 10:07:55 pm »
I can’t see a benefit to either.
does anyone remember laughter

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:23:06 pm »
Its a safety thing,
The last connection should be to the chassis and the first removal should be from the chassis.
Batteries generate highly explosive gasses when charging and in discharged states.
Connecting last and removing first from the chassis connection mitigates the risk of spark at the battery.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline Tang67

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 06:19:22 pm »
Its a safety thing,
The last connection should be to the chassis and the first removal should be from the chassis.
Batteries generate highly explosive gasses when charging and in discharged states.
Connecting last and removing first from the chassis connection mitigates the risk of spark at the battery.

Thanks and appreciated Peter9213! Yep, read about that issue years ago, should've remembered it ... no doubt it was saved and sealed somewhere in the back of the brain! :thud:

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 07:48:05 am »
Hey all,
Remember if you want to be Green set a timer to charge your battery through the day and may get some of that green Energy from the Sun.
But if it charges overnight you’ll get the better electricity from that good old Coal. :grin:

Hahaha  :leaving:

Cheers Phil.

If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!