Technical & General Discussion Area > Restomods

302 windsor from el falcon in my 66 gt

(1/3) > >>

jezzas:
Hello brains trust !
Ive had a 302 roller engine out of an el falcon rebuilt almost ready to go into my 66 coupe
The heads seem to be the  E7TE-PA 5.0L so a set of try y headers with a drop down bracket for my power steering should be fine
Am going to use electric fuel pump to avoid engine alterations
The builder cannot put the engine in so im trying to iron out a few things b4 i take it to another mechanic to install
My questions are
1:what do i need to consider with the timing gear and cover as i would like to use my orginal alternator and power steering pump
2:apart from a new 50 oz balancer what do i need to consider for using my orginal starter motor to hook this engine up to my orginal c4 auto
thanks

GEOFF289:
I think your engine originally ran a serpentine belt system with the water pump running in reverse compared to the 289 your car rolled out of the factory with so you'll need a different timing cover and associated bits and pieces. Presumably you're running a carb rather than the Falcon EFI? If so I'm not sure an electric fuel pump is the best idea. They generally pump way more than the carb will need and would need to be regulated down quite a bit.

As well as a 50 ounce balancer, which your EL engine will have come with, you'll need a matching flex plate at the other end of the crank.

AussiePhil:
Hey Jezza,
Yes, Geoff is right, they did run serpentine belts and reverse flow water pumps.
You will need the Australian 5L Timing chain cover, but you should be able to run a normal rotation water pump to suit your brackets. I’ve seen a few XR8 engines in mustangs with V belts.
Technically a normal rotation water pump flows better with these covers, Ford never bothered to correct the water flow path of the cover. If you look into it you’ll see what I mean! You’ll find it easy to find water pump gaskets, I needed to get mine from the US.
I’ve got the American engine, they are different timing chain covers.
The later 5.0 Windsor engines also have 351W ignition firing order, 13726548.
I use a Low pressure 5-7 psi Goss GE393 to supply my surge tank, you may be able to use one of those. (Mr Gasket or Carter, same thing) You’ll need to run it close to your fuel tank!
Hope I’ve helped not confused.
Cheers Phil.

AussiePhil:
Hey Jezza,
If I was to ever do another late model 5L engine again I would change it to Carburettor also.
Firstly the ECU can’t adjust to modifications, no sensors to fail and the intake manifolds on these engines are butt ugly.
And arguably it’s cheaper to get good Horsepower.
Cheers Phil.

AussiePhil:
Hey Jezza,
This is the timing chain cover for FORD FALCON EB - AU 5.0lt 5.8lt WINDSOR BRAND NEW TIMING COVER # F1SE-6059
But now not sure you can fit a normal rotation water Pump?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143978526954

You may have to see if you can fit an early 302 timing chain cover?

My cover is rf-e5ae-6059-fa, no pointer or mechanical fuel pump.

PM Bigal, he will know for sure!

Cheers Phil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version