Recommendations for Timing Chain, Lash adjuster and Rocker mechanical works?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Recommendations for Timing Chain, Lash adjuster and Rocker mechanical works?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline dwdrapper1

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Darren
  • Car: 2002 Mustang Cobra Conver
Looking for recommendations for a quality mechanic in the south/west Brisbane area to do timing chain, lash adjusters and rockers on my 2001 cobra vert (4.6L 4v v8 DOHC). Have been "re-scheduled" twice by first recommendation - thinking they don't want the work.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
ah - I had mine done a while back on my Terminator engine. Big job.
The silly little seals behind the hydraulic cam chain adjusters had burst, and the adjusters would bleed down over night, so it would rattle when first started.

All new parts (probably overkill) made it perfect.

Some thoughts - make sure the cam chain adjusters are the newer GT500 style with the flat mating surface, and while all this stuff is off, you could replace the oil pump, but it isn't critical.

Are you going to do the chain guides at the same time?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 12:19:39 pm by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline dwdrapper1

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Darren
  • Car: 2002 Mustang Cobra Conver
Good news - Timing chain (full kit), lash adjusters and rocker/followers replaced, and noise from the top of the left bank has gone. The guys from Western Suburbs Mechanical did a great job.
Before vid link here https://youtube.com/shorts/d3L3Q6GacyQ?feature=share

Bad news - now there is a tick/rattle at ~2000 rpm deeper in Cylinder 8. Goes away when the injector is disconnected.

We're thinking possibly cylinder skirt, which means head off investigation $$$

Any ideas/suggestions? Anyone had and solved the same problem?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:26:05 pm by dwdrapper1 »

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
Ah - could be the dreaded Cobra tick - normally an issue with the Supercharged Cobra's on the rear LH cylinders - normally caused by the engine overheating and the hardened valve seat for the exhaust dropping down and causing the valve to have too much lash. Removing the LH valve cover and testing the lash/freeplay in the rockers/cam follower would be comparatively easy - remember to turn the crank by hand to test for movement at all positions on the back two cylinders.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)