Transferring cash to US.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Transferring cash to US.  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Garagemahal

• Pony
Transferring cash to US.
« on: July 29, 2022, 09:46:06 am »
Just some feedback on transferring cash to the US for a car purchase.
I looked at a number of different options including banks, PayPal and on line services. Eventually went with xe.com. Process was easy - create an account, set up a transfer and then do a bank transfer into their account in Sydney. They guy I’m buying the car from had the money in less than 48hrs.
Was shitting myself the whole time that something would go pear shaped but relieved that it didn’t.
Best part (apart from not unintentionally transferring money  to some Nigerian prince) was the rate that I got saved me around $1800 compared to the bank. Happy days.
There are a stack of other services like this, and strongly recommend that you DYOR  but just wanted to share my experience. Cheers.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Transferring cash to US.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 06:53:17 pm »
I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT trust the bank account details received via emails, messenging etc. These can and regularly get hacked, with the hacker sitting in the background waiting for that email so they can change it to their own account. I personally know of two people losing around $50k each from this happening

At work, we're also getting request to update bank account details etc, only about 20% are legitimate requests.

ALWAYS pick up the phone and confirm the bank account details with the person. Don't rely on the phone number on the emails either, look up the phone number from another source (ie website).

Now read this all again, as it's a lot at stake.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 06:54:54 pm by Dwayne »