Advice 60s Coupe as 2nd Car / Family Car

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Advice 60s Coupe as 2nd Car / Family Car  (Read 8886 times)

Offline barkfast

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Terry
Advice 60s Coupe as 2nd Car / Family Car
« on: July 11, 2022, 12:07:52 pm »
Hi all

I'm thinking about getting a classic muscle car as a 2nd car / family car, and wanted to get some advice on practicalites of this.

For context, we've got 2 tween / teenage daughters and I'm looking for the car to be mostly a run about - groceries, kids to sport, occassional school drop/pickup. We live in suburban Newcastle and most of the driving will be in traffic .. with the occassional weekend run. I'm not mechanically inept - and dont mind bolt on fixes/upgrades etc - but would rather a mechanic undertake more serious engine/transmission work.

I was looking at a 1965-1967 coupe - perhaps initially an inline 6 but ultimately want a 290 V8. Prefer a RHD but wouldnt rule out a LHD.. also prefer an auto but would go with a manual. Not looking for a race car, just a safe reliable classic with a nice rumble.

Hoping I could get some thoughts on:
* Is the backseat useable (comfortable) for tallish people? (most trips will be less than 30 mins)
* Are 'stangs of this era reliable or are they an unchartered money pit?
* What are the things I should be thinking about that might help the decision process?

thanks in advance

Terry

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Advice 60s Coupe as 2nd Car / Family Car
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 01:24:07 pm »
I don't think I'd use one as a daily driver but people do.

Frankly they aren't that comfortable in many ways and of course lack many of the creature comforts and safety features we take for granted these days. That said, we did about 1,000 k's around Tasmania earlier in the year in mine and lived to tell the tale. Mind you mine has aircon, a good stereo and an overdrive transmission but I still wouldn't describe it as comfortable to drive longer distances. If you're just tooling around the Novocastrian 'burbs maybe the comfort factor isn't so important.

The great thing about them is that they're pretty simple to work on, unlike even a basic modern car where there's not much point in even opening the bonnet as there's nothing much you can do under there.

On your specific questions:

- No the back seat isn't comfortable and unless the front seat occupants are pretty short there's pretty much no foot room in the back. This is a design feature Ford have stuck to right up to the current generation of Mustangs which also have no room in the back. Front seat passengers have heaps of room though. Tall drivers find it a bit tight in terms of headroom and getting far enough back from the wheel. I just got some seat extenders for mine to shift the driver's seat back 2 inches after our Tas experience (I just scrape the 6 foot/1.8 m mark). That of course will further reduce rear seat room. All of that said, I have had a bride and two bridesmaids in mine but not for very long trips.

- They can be either very reliable or bankruptcy on wheels. Like any car, reliability is function of maintenance/servicing and replacement of parts that just wear out. And a measure of luck. A fifty something year old car can of course present endless potential for having worn out parts. Rust in the shell is the other major consideration. Buy carefully. No rust and all mechanical parts replaced is likely to equal big bucks, particularly at the moment, and in my mind make for too nice a car to use every day, but your call.

- In terms of things to consider, I guess my thoughts are covered above.

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 01:53:12 pm »
I wouldn't consider a coupe/fastback, old or new, a practical family car; just my view on that type of car.
I have no kids so using a '64 Mustang as second car is not a big issue. Sometimes I use my car as "daily driver" for groceries or similar tasks, but I wouldn't do that on a very regular basis. Also I live in Perth and it is pretty easy to drive around with a classic car. I lived in Sydney (eastern suburbs) and it was a nightmare. Newcastle should be fine though.

Geoff289 covered most of the things, if you want a decent Mustang now it is very difficult to find some under $50k; a 6cyl it is probably around $30/35k. If you find a car cheaper than that it is very possible that it requires a lot of work and $$$. If car is in good condition and well maintained, it is normally a reliable car, because very simple and basically no electrics.
As Geoff289 said rear seat for long drives are not that comfortable for tall people, and also seat tend to be very soft.
fred

Offline barkfast

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 03:15:24 pm »
Thanks Geoff and Fred. Appreciate your honest responses.

My wife and I are both 6 foot and kids are both not too far from it either.. so its looking like the Mustang is not looking like a realistic option (at least until the kids are older).

Offline fredm666

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 03:27:38 pm »
Thanks Geoff and Fred. Appreciate your honest responses.

My wife and I are both 6 foot and kids are both not too far from it either.. so its looking like the Mustang is not looking like a realistic option (at least until the kids are older).

yeah, probably a coupe of any brand is not an ideal option as family car. It can be done, but comfort is limited.
Maybe one of the big classic coupe from the '70s can have more room in the back seats, down side is that normally the price tag for those is pretty high...
fred

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 12:26:31 am »
I'm 6ft and haven't any issue fitting behind the wheel of our 66 coupe, if I was you I would go and have a look at some for sale and test drive one or two to make your own judgement call on the practicality side of things. If you want more interior room look at the later 71 onwards coupes, remember these are just V8 Fords simple to service and maintain yourself, again go and look at some for sale yourself then weigh up if a Mustang would suit your family :thumb:

Offline barkfast

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 10:37:35 am »
Probably wise advice.

My first cars were Mini (69 K and 77 Clubman), so assuming Mustang front and rear space isnt less than a Mini.  I recall my Minis were great in the front seat and fine in the back seats (maybe slightly cramped) for short distances.

Perhaps I should see if I can look at one and try on sizing (but without rose coloured glasses).

Alternatively, I was looking at XPs... but honestly there isnt the same appeal.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 10:40:22 am by barkfast »

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 12:32:46 pm »
Hey Terry,
It’s a sellers market at the moment, everything is well overpriced.
I wouldn’t buy anything at the moment.
But if I did it would be something cheap and cheap to run (four cylinder or diesel) to get you by until the prices go down!
Better to buy New!
Kia Cerato S $27,000 or Hyundai Elantra, full factory warranty, zero Km, no waiting I think!
Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 09:17:52 pm »
* Is the backseat useable (comfortable) for tallish people? (most trips will be less than 30 mins)
It's only a 4 seater car & the back seat is only suitable for kids (or small adults).

* Are 'stangs of this era reliable or are they an unchartered money pit?
Very reliable & easily maintained at home.

* What are the things I should be thinking about that might help the decision process?
SAFETY! No ABS, collapsible steering column, air bags, decent seat belts, etc. You'll never be able to stop as quickly as the modern cars yet that never stops idiots from jumping in front of you! Most importantly, you don't want to drive these cars in the wet. Extremely light rear ends & they slide all over the road. All that said, I love my '65 to bits & try to enjoy it as often as I can. I just don't think they can substitute a daily driver.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 08:28:32 pm by evan »

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 09:21:48 pm »
I drive daily a 66 Austin Healey Sprite everyday 66 Km return.
I treat it as a challenge and have done so for 6 years.
The only comment is the safety aspect they don't crash as well as a modern car.
I enjoy driving an old car everyday, the only comfort item is a heater and you even get use to no radio.
You will spend some money and time getting reliable but you will.
It was my intent to drive the mustang everyday but is to nice to drive in the rain.
Do it, beats driving a corolla
does anyone remember laughter

Offline barkfast

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2022, 12:26:37 pm »
Big fan of British cars too - so a Sprite as a daily would be loads of fun and -relatively- economical with an A series motor.

Yes safety is a concern but I've been riding a motorcycle for 10+ years, so I'm already used to driving defensively and pre-empting the stupidity of other drivers.

I've end up deciding that the rear seat comfort has ruled out a Mustang for me. I sat in a new Mustang and needed to tilt my head to fit... and looking at pics of 60s variants online, they looked like they have similiar head room. Suprisingly, back seat leg rooom was fine - albeit the seating position would require a small compromise with the front seat occupant.

Offline fredm666

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 07:57:13 pm »
I've end up deciding that the rear seat comfort has ruled out a Mustang for me. I sat in a new Mustang and needed to tilt my head to fit... and looking at pics of 60s variants online, they looked like they have similiar head room. Suprisingly, back seat leg rooom was fine - albeit the seating position would require a small compromise with the front seat occupant.

I’d say, by personal experience, that a ‘60s Mustang coupe has more headroom in the back seat than a new Mustang.
fred

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 10:46:58 pm »
I just sat in the back of my 66 coupe and I have about an inch clearance from the roof and I’m just over 6 foot
If I get rear ended my head will probably hit the rear window

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 01:12:20 am »
Hey Terry,
These people used to have a Buick Roadmaster straight eight, it the most beautiful car I’ve seen but no longer advertised.

It’s in the background of in this add, maybe something massive like this may interest you!

AJ Classic Motors, Heidelberg West, Victoria.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/374078504993

Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2022, 06:13:45 pm »
My view don’t buy anything to nice or you will never drive it in the rain