exhaust manifold gaskets

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: exhaust manifold gaskets  (Read 5420 times)

Offline 1965 fastback

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 65 Fastback
exhaust manifold gaskets
« on: June 26, 2022, 01:20:25 pm »
Greetings,

I have recently installed a 302 roller motor in a 65 mustang but used exhaust manifolds off an early 289/302 and it appears there are small leaks past the gaskets I used which likely matched the 302 roller heads. It was pointed out to me the different exhaust ports between a roller and early Windsor. Assume people have come across this before and there is a simple solution.
I won’t be changing the heads anytime soon and won’t be putting extractors on either. Just looking for the right gasket.
Thanks
Tony

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: exhaust manifold gaskets
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 04:27:23 pm »
Figure out exactly what heads you have and get some Remflex gaskets. Eagle in Dandy South have them.

http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/98.htm

I have a roller 5.0 in my car with GT40P heads. When I first put it in the car I used the crappy cardboard gaskets that came with my JBA headers. After a while it developed a leak on one side. I got a pair of Remflex and replaced that one side. A while later the other side developed a leak so I put the other one on. No problems since.

You've probably learnt already that you would swear an exhaust leak is a mechanical sounding noise when its actually pneumatic. I went looking for tappet issues and everything else before tracking it down with a bit of fuel hose in my ear as a makeshift stethoscope. Once I determined where it was I could see the discolouration around the leak.

Offline 1965 fastback

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 65 Fastback
Re: exhaust manifold gaskets
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 10:25:42 pm »
Thanks Geoff, you are on the money. The sound is like tappets but I can see the scorching in the corner of the gasket close to the edge of the manifold. I’ll try the Remflex.
Thanks