Brake booster for 65/66 with Z-bar clutch

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Brake booster for 65/66 with Z-bar clutch  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
Brake booster for 65/66 with Z-bar clutch
« on: June 03, 2022, 12:55:12 pm »
Interested to know if anyone has fitted a brake booster with dual master cylinder to a 65 or 66 with the original Z-bar clutch still in place?

What did you use? Any clearance issues? Did you have to make any modifications to mount the booster?

The reason I am asking is because the proportioning valve on my very original 65 GT fastback recently failed (major fluid leak after valve was rebuilt about 1,000 kms ago) and I am considering options. Fortunately, the valve failed while the car was sitting in my garage!

Car is very original and I was trying not to modify it in any way but brake failure is making me reconsider.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Brake booster for 65/66 with Z-bar clutch
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 01:21:54 pm »
Original cars with the optional power boosted brakes had different boosters, and maybe bracketry, for autos and manuals for this very reason, i.e. the Z bar, so you'd need to get the right one. An awful lot of the power brake conversion kits on the market indicate they don't fit manuals with the Z bar. It could be hard to find an original manual booster but Phil Beresford might have one that could be rebuilt

https://www.truelocal.com.au/business/east-coast-mustang-and-camaro-parts/lilydale

That said, while I get that originality is important to you, if the car didn't exit the factory with optional power brakes you'll be compromising originality anyway. You could switch the clutch actuation to a modern hydraulic set up and enjoy the benefit of that without cutting or drilling the car so it could be returned to complete originality. This would give you much wider options with braking, including a much safe dual circuit system.

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 04:55:04 pm »
We had a 68 with a z bar clutch and had a Gemini booster with an XA dual master cylinder fitted to it. It was LHD and the only mod was to fit the booster to the firewall. Was a long time ago so no pics available.

Offline 289 vert

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 08:57:19 am »
No 65-66 disc brake cars had a booster.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 09:15:59 am »
Thanks everyone who replied here and via PM.  I did some more research and found a couple of options but the boosters with dual master either needed a new hole in the firewall (but would clear shock towers etc) or modification of the original shock tower brace (but no modification to the firewall).

In the end I decided to get the original proportioning valve and master cylinder tested. I'll run the car with the original refurbished set-up and if further problems arise, I might have to go the modification route.