Recommendation wanted for leaf springs and shackles

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Recommendation wanted for leaf springs and shackles  (Read 2940 times)

Offline spiller

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Simon
  • Car: GT350 Replica
Hi everyone. First post on these forums.

I have recently purchased a nice GT350 Replica and the car needs to have a mechanical inspection before being granted rego here in SA. I have been advised from a PPI that the rear shackle bushes and leaf spring bushes need replacement. I figured I would just replace the entire leaf spring, shackles and U bolts + associated hardware while I’m at it then I know it’s all new. I do tend to put my cars through their paces in terms of cornering and will likely do the odd track day with the car. With this in mind, can anyone recommend some leaf springs/shackles that can be sourced locally (in Aus) that would offer a handling upgrade over factory? I understand there are many options ex-US but shipping is astronomical at the moment and figure they’re heavy items?

I have come across some Scott Drake mid eye springs but have read lots of negative reviews about Scott Drake products in general.

Any and all feedback welcome!

Thanks

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Recommendation wanted for leaf springs and shackles
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 06:02:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum from another SA member.

Try Kym Turner at Image Classic Cars in Pooraka. He has lots of parts in stock.

I'm going with Hane narrow springs and del-a-lum bushes from Global West for my build, but it will be years until I can tell you if they're any good. For the front end I'm going with roller suspension bits from Opentracker Racing.

There's also a forum member that imports Mike Maier gear, and that's very good stuff especially if you like to push the car.

Offline spiller

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Simon
  • Car: GT350 Replica
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 08:31:34 pm »
Thanks so much for the recommendations Dwayne. I have been eyeing off the opentracker parts also and will very likely do the same once it comes time to do the front end. Are you going the full roller upper and lower arms from opentracker? Then there’s double roller and single roller spring perches…lots of decisions. I am making a trip to the US this year, perhaps I’ll fill a suitcase  :lol:

I have heard great things about the maier springs as well. Hopefully that forum member chimes in.

Cheers

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 08:49:23 pm »
I've got the roller perches and idler arm, plus the kit to convert the lower control arm to a roller setup. I've also fitted the adjustable camber kit. SPC make adjustable caster rods instead of converting the stock rods too. .

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 10:37:18 pm »
Give Scott Drake a miss. You would likely be better to just re bush whats in there now than go SD!

I have TCP 4.5 reverse eyes with Bilstiens at rear ( plus FAYS watts link). Fantadtic combo feels like a go kart. The watts ( or panhard) will have a major impact on handling.

You could check out AWOL pro touring locally they may have some Mike Maier Inc leafs in stock ( MMI is different to Maier Racing btw). I have some MMI coilovers up front and they are a quality piece

If originality ( or appearance there of) is important get the Opentracker front roller package.