Tyre question.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Tyre question.  (Read 5795 times)

Offline P8TRIOT

• Worked
Tyre question.
« on: May 01, 2022, 07:39:57 am »
Hello fellow mustanger's.
Just looking for advice on tyre choices.
I'm looking to replace my 17" rear's
Just something between average and high performance would suit my application best.
Ive read up on it but its one of those things that once you start going down that rabbit hole you seem get lost in it all  :shrug lol.
So as usual it falls back to the tried and tested word of mouth method. :cheers:

Offline USA066

• Worked
  • Robbo
  • Name: Colin
Re: Tyre question.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 04:44:23 pm »
Don’t know your car year, but on my 66, I’m running Falken 235/50 on the rear and 205/50 on the front on my 17’s with 4.5” bs and 4.5 leaf mid-eye springs. I went for 50 profile over my previous 45’s to fill up the wheel arches. They’re about 12mm higher. These look and drive great.

Couldn’t post pics, but if you want some, pls PM me.
2007 GT Convertible
2008 Bullitt
1966 Coupe

Offline P8TRIOT

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 01:32:46 pm »
Thanks mate. I'm running 235x45 profiles at the moment and im pretty happy with that configuration.
Im not stuck on any particular brand but more interested in what specific tyre in their range people have been happy with. Im looking at maybe Michellin pilot sport 4's or something similar.
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 01:51:58 pm by P8TRIOT »

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:48:13 pm »
Hey P8TRIOT,
My son has a WRX and swears by Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for ride, grip and durability.
But take your cheque book with you, they’re not cheap.
I’ve got HANKOOK VENTUS 97V x 18’s on mine and find them very good.
One thing with HANKOOK you can go from $149 tyre to $350 tyre, so many variations.
I’m glad you’re not looking for Radial TA tyres!
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:25:08 pm by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 08:07:38 am »
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are fantastic. I changed from Pirellies to P4S on my 2017 and it is a huge improvement.

For pricing it is definitely worth checking out Costco (you would have to join if you're not a member).

You can get pricing online by starting here - https://www.costco.com.au/tiresearch

Offline P8TRIOT

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 03:39:16 pm »
Hey P8TRIOT,
My son has a WRX and swears by Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for ride, grip and durability.
But take your cheque book with you, they’re not cheap.
I’ve got HANKOOK VENTUS 97V x 18’s on mine and find them very good.
One thing with HANKOOK you can go from $149 tyre to $350 tyre, so many variations.
I’m glad you’re not looking for Radial TA tyres!
Cheers Phil.
Thanks Aussie Phill, its great to hear your feed back on them. I expect them to be a bit pricier but thats okay.

Offline P8TRIOT

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 03:52:03 pm »
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are fantastic. I changed from Pirellies to P4S on my 2017 and it is a huge improvement.

For pricing it is definitely worth checking out Costco (you would have to join if you're not a member).

You can get pricing online by starting here - https://www.costco.com.au/tiresearch
Thanks for the feedback and double thanks for the Costco link, i checked it out & it looks good. I have a friend whos a member so that covers that side of it. maybe i should join regardless. :cool:
BTW i was looking to upgrade the FG6E on 2015 - 17 mustang just before the the plandemic but since then prices went up 10 to 15,000 so i canned it for now. Im hoping as soon as supply chain issues settle they will drop back to normal prices in 12 months or so. See what happens. :flag:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:08:35 pm by P8TRIOT »

Offline P8TRIOT

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 08:28:56 pm »
Thanks for everybody's input.
I went for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and im very happy with them. They look good & not to busy with patterns on the side walls either.
I would have only saved 5 bucks a tyre through costco by the time you added fitting  but the added bonus for their members is a free puncture repair for the life of the tyre.
I will definately use them on rhe fronts as well when its time replace them.
 :thumb: