Wiper Motor Wiring

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Wiper Motor Wiring  (Read 3335 times)

Offline pocket rocket

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Warren
Wiper Motor Wiring
« on: April 30, 2022, 02:02:51 pm »
What is the colour coding for the early ('79/'80) 4-wire wiper motors?
There is:
Red (I'd assume power but constant or switched?)
Black (I'd assume ground, but should this ground through a switch)
White
Blue with a red trace

The wiper motor is bolted to the firewall, with an external ground wire from the aluminium housing of the wiper motor, to the mounting bolt on the firewall.... all this looks factory

Are these a 2 speed motor, with no intermittent?

This is for a racing car, and I'm starting with no loom, just a wiper motor. I'd like to be able to switch the wipers on via a toggle switch. I'm a assuming an on/on switch... with one "on" being the wipers going (any speed, don't care whether its fast or slow), while the other "on" would be used to "park" the wipers.
I've tried just powering it up to 12V (though a 10A fuse), to the red wire, then grounding the other 3, one at a time, but I can't get it to do anything.

I have looked at a few different wiring diagrams in a Haines manual that I have, but the colour codings listed in the manual is different to what's coming out of the wiper motor.

I'm not much into electrics (I hate it with a passion actually), so any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
Re: Wiper Motor Wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 12:27:00 pm »
I don't know about your exact car but I did this post a while back: https://forum.mustang.org.au/index.php/topic,36026.0.html

The first pic probably shows what you need:
Black = earth
White = high-speed
Blue = low speed
Red = power to park wipers.

The black goes to earth on the brush plate which also includes the earth brush for the armature, the white to the bush opposite the earth (maximum differential so highest speed) and the Blue to the brush not quite so opposite, so lower speed.

the Red supplies power to the main brush when you turn the key off/wipers off to ensure the armature returns back to the park position - read through the text of the other post and all becomes clear...

Good luck.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)