1969 Mustang for sale

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1969 Mustang for sale  (Read 6443 times)

Offline Mustangfan

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 69 Mustang
1969 Mustang for sale
« on: April 15, 2022, 04:40:54 pm »
Hey everyone,

Wishing you all a great Easter. I just noticed this advert this morning. Is anyone familiar with this car and any thoughts regarding what it's worth ? I'm not suggesting for a moment it's overpriced, I'd just prefer to hear the opinion of experts.

Thanks

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1969-ford-mustang-mach-1-cobra-jet-manual/OAG-AD-20669336/?Cr=4&fbclid=IwAR09S2GWb_G1HsIcRQ1VnOu1oKFPWk5SpFdKHKrn4foFTbnAtm0K_VhGqHg

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
Re: 1969 Mustang for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 08:05:04 pm »
From pictures it seems like a very nice car, and that combination is good. On carsales there are normal Mustang coupe (‘64-66) with very high and sometimes ridiculously high prices, between $75k and $120k. Now, I don’t know if they will get what they are asking….

so $160k for that ‘69 cobra jet seems decent.
fred

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 09:17:00 pm »
Looks like it’s just been repainted ,total repaint too . Been here in QLD for years so someone must know the car .

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 06:48:38 pm »
Nice looking car. Some odd inclusions though:
Front, rear spoilers and louvers were never fitted to these cars from the factory, but they’re common inclusions (I have fitted them to my ‘69).
Things that are not correct:
Engine fan and clutch
Fuel pump
Distributor (the vacuum advance at least)
Dash cluster (this one from a std interior auto car, not a CJ 4-spd which should be blue/grey and have a tach and trio odometer- the wiring harnesses in the engine bay and under the dash are different for a Tach car, so a bigger deal)
No S-Tube or Heat Shield on the passenger side exhaust.
Radiator is an aftermarket part from the looks of things.
Be worth checking that the carb is correct (C9AF 9510M) and the starter is a CJ-specific piece.
I can’t see the P/S cooler either.

You wouldn’t get much change out of $10K to replace all these.

That being said - if it’s a nice car (as it looks) then those things are negotiating items. A CJ 4-spd car is typically money in the bank, especially resale red.

Ask to see the Marti and check for the door tag, the correct toploader and the Nodular carrier in the Diff - there’s $10K to correct just in those 2 pieces. Ask the owner to prove that it’s a date-correct CJ engine too - $20K for one of them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 06:54:13 pm by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 07:46:30 pm »
Dash cluster (this one from a std interior auto car, not a CJ 4-spd which should be blue/grey and have a tach and trio odometer- the wiring harnesses in the engine bay and under the dash are different for a Tach car, so a bigger deal)

I thought the same about the dash… it’s the standard one
fred

Offline Mustangfan

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 04:44:30 pm »
Nice looking car. Some odd inclusions though:
Front, rear spoilers and louvers were never fitted to these cars from the factory, but they’re common inclusions (I have fitted them to my ‘69).
Things that are not correct:
Engine fan and clutch
Fuel pump
Distributor (the vacuum advance at least)
No S-Tube or Heat Shield on the passenger side exhaust.
Radiator is an aftermarket part from the looks of things.
Be worth checking that the carb is correct (C9AF 9510M) and the starter is a CJ-specific piece.
I can’t see the P/S cooler either.

You wouldn’t get much change out of $10K to replace all these.

That being said - if it’s a nice car (as it looks) then those things are negotiating items. A CJ 4-spd car is typically money in the bank, especially resale red.

Ask to see the Marti and check for the door tag, the correct toploader and the Nodular carrier in the Diff - there’s $10K to correct just in those 2 pieces. Ask the owner to prove that it’s a date-correct CJ engine too - $20K for one of them.

Hey Jiffy,

Thanks for sharing your observations - most appreciated.

Regarding the dash cluster / tacho item, was this actually a performance equipment accessory, rather than a standard inclusion on 4 speeds ?

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 04:09:25 pm »
Pretty sure Tach dash was standard on R code. Nearly a sister car to mine. but I don't have power steer, but do have matching numbers car with Tach Dash etc. I fitted AC to mine, as I like to drive it in summer!!

Offline Mustangfan

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 04:20:50 pm »
Thanks 69Candy.

Being a sister car to yours, does it look ok to you otherwise ?

Offline Greg Dobe

• P Plates
  • Name: Greg Dobe
  • Car: 69 & 70 R Code SCJ
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 04:52:24 pm »
It’s an amazing looking car and think it will get around that number if it ticks the boxes with the right components. Also the right buyer at the right time. I hope it does!  :lol:

Regards Greg

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 05:18:17 pm »
Mustang fan , I know someone that’s going to sell his 1969 R code automatic soon . It’s in very very good condition and he has owned it for 50 years . It’s Right  hand drive  as we had no choice back in the day ,we had to convert them .

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 12:20:58 pm »
Quote from: Mustangfan
Hey Jiffy,

Thanks for sharing your observations - most appreciated.

Regarding the dash cluster / tacho item, was this actually a performance equipment accessory, rather than a standard inclusion on 4 speeds ?

As the car is a Mach1, it will have a deluxe interior, which would trigger the woodgrain and the grey/blue gauges (same colour as the clock).

An original 428CJ 4-spd car will have a tach dash cluster - all 4 gauges are different to the auto cluster, there is a trip counter on the speedo, no oil pressure or ammeter gauges and full-size fuyel and temp gauges. The only common parts between a tach dash and non-tach are the woodgrain, the lights and the plastic housing - everything else is different. The engine bay harness is also different, the dash harness is also different and so is the alternator harness. All these parts add up - if you were going to swap them out, you would be extremely lucky to get away with a bill of $2,000 after selling the parts you took out - more likely if you want known good you'd be closer to $3K.

Great looking car - got some great parts and great attention to detail (paint etc)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:49:50 pm by jiffy »
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 06:13:34 pm »
It’s an amazing looking car and think it will get around that number if it ticks the boxes with the right components. Also the right buyer at the right time. I hope it does!  :lol:

Regards Greg
For that money i would want the correct dash. The add says it has the correct one, but unless it was ordered without it? Martini would tell you.  As jiffy says can be an expensive fix, if and when you find the parts, and paying somebody to do the work unless you can do it your self. Without seeing in person its hard to tell. I restored mine in 2012. I have a guy keen on mine but he is always 10g short!! lol Not sure I even want to sell it. all depends what YOU want, not what we think!! good luck, Red  4 speed, shaker, big block matching number cars are thin on the ground,. not much help i know!!

Offline Dizzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 1966 Coupe GT
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 12:48:19 pm »
This one sold yesterday at an online auction on the Goldy yesterday

https://seven82motors.hibid.com/lot/116016673/1969-ford-mustang-428-cobra-jet/?q=&ref=catalog

Cheers

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 03:10:44 pm »
This one sold yesterday at an online auction on the Goldy yesterday

https://seven82motors.hibid.com/lot/116016673/1969-ford-mustang-428-cobra-jet/?q=&ref=catalog

Cheers

Don't forget buyers premium of 7.5% on top of the $140K - so another $10.5K.

Also is an auto, so add about $20K for a manual.

The original car mentioned is also being sold via a dealer - so they will be including about $14.5K GST. Which means they must've picked it up for somewhere in the $120K to $130K range (my guess).

With all the questions on the Mach1 provenance etc. I suspect they bought low knowing all those items are an issue - i.e. not concourse level, but now hoping to find someone who doesn't know what those details and will pay more of a concourse level price.  Still a very desirable car, and as Jiffy said, this knowledge is good bargaining power.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 09:03:59 pm »