Crate motor

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Crate motor  (Read 6253 times)

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate motor
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 08:50:47 pm »
OK Chris, you can have a go drivin h it too, but you need to practice by pressing your dip switch each time you change down and up for the week before I give you the car!
Cheers Bee

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
Crate motor
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 10:23:44 pm »
Bee - with that amount of torque (especially in a 'vert) you really should think about strengthening the chassis.  i'd recommend an export brace (you have one installed right?), a monte-carlo bar, and most importantly Global West Subframe connectors (i installed these on my 66 GT K-code convertible and they made a noticeable difference - will make more of a difference in yours with the chassis flex you're likely to get from a Roush engine)

http://www.globalwest.net/1964-73%20Mustang%20Subframes%20-%20export%20braces%20-%20monte%20carlo%20bars.htm

and of course, a positrac rear end (3:50's ought to be about right for that motor behind a toploader)

my $0.02
BrianE :o

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate motor
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 11:53:11 pm »
Thanks Brian,

I ordered the global west connectors last week (couldn't find them locally for a vert so had to get them sent from US) and also have the export brace, LSD on order and Shelby tooled traction bars coming. I ordered a negative wedge kit because the aluminuim heads and gear will be lighter and I don't want the front higher than it is so we'll do a Shelby drop too. What I don't have yet is the Monte Carlo bar which I guess I should do, I want a good quality chrome adjustable bar, global west make a good one but it's black, given it's a fully polished engine I think I should have a polished alloy or chrome one, any ideas of a local source and brand?

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline mistermustang

• Worked
Crate motor
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 12:06:18 am »
Originally posted by Bumblebee
Thanks Brian,

I ordered the global west connectors last week (couldn't find them locally for a vert so had to get them sent from US) and also have the export brace, LSD on order and Shelby tooled traction bars coming. I ordered a negative wedge kit because the aluminuim heads and gear will be lighter and I don't want the front higher than it is so we'll do a Shelby drop too. What I don't have yet is the Monte Carlo bar which I guess I should do, I want a good quality chrome adjustable bar, global west make a good one but it's black, given it's a fully polished engine I think I should have a polished alloy or chrome one, any ideas of a local source and brand?

Cheers Bee

dunno about that mate.  as you know i pretty much gravitate towards stock vs. performance/aftermarket.

that said, what i can Highly Highly Highly recommend is a set of 'rollerised' control arms, spring perch and strut rods from opentrackerracing.com

i have had these installed on my 67 GT500 and man oh man what a difference.  the car tracks incredibly straight.  the suspension has completely free movement and is highly precise.  worth considering given the mods you're doing...
BrianE :o

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
Crate motor
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
FYI, website for opentracker is www.opentrackerracingproducts.com :)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Crate motor
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 10:00:33 am »
I wonder how long the roller bearings will last, Jag rear ends use rollers and timkens for all privot points and the bearings brinel and chop out because they don't rotate just rock and get shock loaded.

Offline victorypark

• Worked
Crate motor
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 12:58:08 pm »
Bee is this engine a straight fit or do u need to make a few mods???  Engine mounts etc? Re-locating of or???

Cheers. :(

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate motor
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 01:37:52 pm »
According to Roush, you need to order the front sump option (no cost), and for originality the normal water pump, not reverse (no cost).  The rest should fit, but from my own investigation there is no hole in any of these new 302 based engine blocks (Dart, Motorsport Sportsman) for the clutch equalizer bar to mount to the block, as it does on the original 289.  Sacramento Mustang make a bracket for US$54 that takes care of thjis relocation (which I've ordered).   If you can believe all that then the proof will be in the pudding when we drop it in, so I can assure you I will report on any "issues" that arise to save other punters from the same hedaches (if they happen, which they probably will somehow!).

The rest is just about securing the integrity of the car in strengthening, managing the increased heat etc.

I'll keep you poset but I reckon it will be 6 weeks before it lands:-

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline victorypark

• Worked
Crate motor
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 02:46:07 pm »
No dramas mate.  Good luck with it all.  Really looking forward to the reports and feedback.  :2

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Crate motor
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 06:27:32 pm »
The crate option sound good but don't you guys want to build them yourself, you know measure the bearing clearance with plasti gauge so you know it's right, grind the notches in the bores so the rods don't hit when you stroke them, that's part of the fun of old cars or any car for that matter, putting them together.

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
Crate motor
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 07:07:16 pm »
Hi Shaun,

I'm taking advantage of the feedback from those that have well worn the road before us, and the message was loud and clear,uncertainty of finish time, potential unknown issues, mechanic distractions to finishing, performance and reliability in the long term is based on the block you start with so it better be good, lack of warranty (Ross Hughes from Melbourne who represents the engine factory in Oz/fordcobraengines.com will have your own mechanic honour the 20,000klm warranty, Roush do 40,000 klm) , dyno'd set up prior to shipping, no final price confirmation, just too much upside for me but purchasing a crate.

On the other hand, there would absolutely be great pleasure in building your own and if you have the situation where this fits your interest, resources and approach I'm sure it would be really rewarding, I guess I just am not in a position to follow this path, but there are many more really good engines out there built the way your suggesting, than bought as a turnkey.  From an originality sense, this is clearly superior too.

Different strokes for different folks and I'm just an impatient bugger and like concrete concepts!

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Crate motor
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 07:09:34 am »
Yeah look I understand, I just like to bolt them together myself, I don't enjoy just taking them out of a box.

Offline blackbox

• Worked
Crate motor
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 07:23:45 am »
I think you summed it up.
"different strokes for different folks"
Do what makes you happy. Isnt that why we bought these cars to begin with?;)

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Crate motor
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 02:27:30 pm »
Originally posted by shaunp
Yeah look I understand, I just like to bolt them together myself, I don't enjoy just taking them out of a box.

maybe we are not as gifted as you and its just cheaper to buy from the us at the moment i would love to build my own engine but i don't have the know how  or the space and to pay someone to do it well you might as well buy a crate motor its the same thing some one else has built it and its cheaper.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Crate motor
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2008, 12:36:26 pm »
Originally posted by 68pony

maybe we are not as gifted as you and its just cheaper to buy from the us at the moment i would love to build my own engine but i don't have the know how  or the space and to pay someone to do it well you might as well buy a crate motor its the same thing some one else has built it and its cheaper.

My dad was Diesel fitter, so I grew up building engines,and cars. Spent my youth building hot Red motors 6/v8 and SBC for Torana's and other Holdens etc, and them moved on to Jag XK & V12 engines.  I kind of take it for granted I guess, that anyone can do it, cause I don't give it a 2nd thought. Don't know about gifted though that's a stretch, just grew up with it, in stead of playing cricket of a weekend. I'm crap at Cricket!

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Crate motor
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 05:08:51 pm »
Originally posted by 68pony

My dad was Diesel fitter, so I grew up building engines,and cars. Spent my youth building hot Red motors 6/v8 and SBC for Torana's and other Holdens etc, and them moved on to Jag XK & V12 engines.  I kind of take it for granted I guess, that anyone can do it, cause I don't give it a 2nd thought. Don't know about gifted though that's a stretch, just grew up with it, in stead of playing cricket of a weekend. I'm crap at Cricket!

If its any consolation, I am also crap at cricket, But my life story goes something like this.......I was born of a very young age and soon after was introduced to this....

Well then I grew up with it.........Ahhhhhh sorry gotta go....it feeding time......coming dear!:+
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Crate motor
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2008, 05:50:40 pm »
Hey heven, can you refresh my memory where you got that insulation from?

I have used up all that you have given me in the boot area and under the back seat. I would like to do under the rest of the carpet.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Crate motor
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008, 05:53:18 pm »
Jump in your car tomorrow morning and come to my house and get as much as you like>> you can have mine if you want..Just call me on the mobile..you have my number?
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
Crate motor
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2008, 08:34:55 am »
Thanks for the offer but I have home duties to complete today.:_:-:*:[;w;]

Offline victorypark

• Worked
Crate motor
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 09:14:35 am »
Originally posted by 2233
Thanks for the offer but I have home duties to complete today.:_:-:*:[;w;]

Ouch!!  Think because of the rain here in Melbourne I may have wangled my way out of my home duties.  Well the outdoors ones anyways. ::

Oh and love your avatar too 2233.  :+