Expressions of interest : Purchase or rectify?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Expressions of interest : Purchase or rectify?  (Read 4848 times)

Offline shedguy

• Pony
  • Name: Keith
Expressions of interest : Purchase or rectify?
« on: February 24, 2022, 11:05:16 pm »
 1968 Mustang Coupe – 302w / 4 sp toploader / 8”
Complete, very solid car... with some issues.  Car was imported/converted to RHD late 80’s or early 90’s.  I purchased the car 11 years out of a shed in Vic, got it engineered in NSW and then drove it daily! I only took the car off the road about 5 years ago with the intention of fixing the very average conversion and some suspension issues.  Work completed to date includes:
Rear End – factory 8”, housing stripped/cleaned/POR-15 painted, 3.0-1 centre (used), new outer bearings, new leaf springs (reverse eye,  -1.5” from memory), new Shelby-style solid mount traction bars, new slaves/springs/shoes in brakes, all new brake lines. Zero km on all.
New drive shaft and uni joints done <1000km.  New driveshaft loop at trans
Engine: 302w of unknown build (as purchased).  Was and is a great runner/cruiser – never failed. I have added : Brand new Holley 650;  New elect. Dizzy ( had a Mallory twin point!! Which I still have)  and coil; new Al water pump; oversize radiator with twin thermo fans; Complete polished alloy accessory drive kit from ‘Wheels within Wheels’ including p/s pump (still unused). Transmission: 4 speed Toploader which works fine! Clutch: works!?  Engine and trans had a 2-can rebuild while they were out of the car!  New 3/8 fuel hard-lines run length of car.
Front suspension:  XC Falcon UCAs rebuilt (new bushes and hardware) with Arning (Shelby) drop, new Whiteline spring saddles, new XY Falcon LCAs, new T&B ball joints, new strut rod bushings and hardware, XC Falcon stub axles with new bearings, XF Falcon alloy callipers (Girlock) rebuilt with new DBA discs and pads and all new brake lines. ‘RetroRack’ power steering rack. All with zero km. Lowered springs, 1 1/8” sway bar/bushes/hardware, new shocks, ‘export brace’ and Monte Carlo bar all done <5000km
New reco’d XB brake booster and new master cylinder.  New steel brake lines throughout the car.  New clutch master and slave cylinder and new clutch line. Zero km.
Completely, professionally rewired. New fuse/relay box and hidden wiring. Battery relocated to boot.  Rebuilt tail light buckets with new rear lenses and amber turn signals. Not a “kit” loom – quality bespoke build by renowned auto electrician.
The Body! I’m pretty sure this car was imported as a “wreck” (as they did back in the 80’s) and fixed up/sold on.  It has had a hit in the LH rear at some point but the car was repaired and resprayed and is very solid - including the 80’s flared rear guards!  Yes it has bog – no it isn’t perfect! But there is ZERO bad rust.
 In order to fix the dodgy conversion and a damaged cowl, I paid to have a bunch of new sheet metal installed including – complete dash panel, upper cowl, lower cowl and complete RHD firewall ....I  then decided to also replace the RH rear inner fender apron (recessed for brake booster), RH front inner fender apron (battery tray), LH front inner fender apron and radiator support panel,latch brace and grille supports. Most, if not all, of these panels are Dynacorn brand.   
Thinking this was all awesome, I then sent the car to another shop to have the steering ‘sorted’ and they : replaced a damaged rear frame rail, added torque box bracing, added apron/firewall bracing (behind guards), installed fully welded chassis connectors, installed a rear firewall (plated behind rear seat) and fabricated adjustable and removable down-bars in the boot ... and a lot of other things have been “customised” by the shops who did the work – the falcon pedal box; the falcon steering column; the firewall where it all passes through; the handbrake set up ....  this is not a “buy a part and bolt it in” conversion.   
Now for the bad ..... the front hanging sheet metal no longer “fits” on the car.  The people who worked on the car rejected my constant offers to bring them the hanging panels ( I stripped the car initially ) – insisting “it’ll be right”. However - now the RH guard and bonnet will not go close to bolting back on and lining up. And there are other ... small issues. 
At the moment the front sheet metal is well beyond my skill set to fix so I have two options – offload the car and move on .... or find someone who can help me fix it.  So I’m actually here looking for EOI of either.  If you would be interested in buying the car OR taking my money to rectify it – feel free to get in touch with me!  And please .... I don’t need to be told what I did wrong – I’m well aware! 

Offline RocketScientist

• Worked
Re: Expressions of interest : Purchase or rectify?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 12:56:09 pm »
Sorry mate, no help and no advice and maybe some poor wisdom.... Got into a similar situation and I found myself with a car that I poured obscene amounts of money into and I reached the point of having to decide whether to scrap it for parts or fix it as the professional work was so bad. I came to the conclusion that no one will pay good money for a car with issues and I would take a bigger financial hit if I sold the car as is. It took me six months to find someone that would fix the car (I live in Perth) and though it wasn't cheap it puts me in a better overall position - though I doubt I will never recover the money spent on it. So my poor wisdom, is to take the emotion out of the problem and look at it from a purely financial perspective (even though no one ever has the money to do it) and I got through it in the end but my wife wouldn't talk to me for six months.
Brad

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 03:28:26 pm »
Unfortunately doing resto’s you will very rarely if at all get your money back, maybe if it is something quite unique you may have a chance,
The question is how much more are you willing to put in for your desired result, and that is something only you could answer, is what you have gone through so far worth the extra effort?

Offline shedguy

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 04:27:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate the feedback!  I know plenty of people have been through similar ( and worse! ) than this ...but it feels OH so much worse when it's personal lol.  I'll just leave this here ....and keep looking for a good tradie!
Thanks again!
Keith

Offline jbb

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 06:11:48 pm »
Hi, sounds like a lot of businesses just telling you what they want to do to get more money off you.
 a number of things you listed didnt need to be done unless your building a high HP car.

Ya cant change whats already happened though.

where abouts in NSW are you located? 
if not to far from me I will  come and look and give some advise ( FREE of charge)

I agree it would be worth putting on chassis aligner to get dimensions checked !!!
I may - again depending on where you are be able to give advise on someone good to do that part.

thx john

Offline shedguy

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 08:25:03 pm »
G'day jbb ... yep - all of the bracing and chassis-connectors are WAY over the top for a street car .... and they were also done without consulting me! But - as you say ...ya can't change what's already happened! 
We are in the Jervis Bay area and I appreciate any and all input or referrals - I also totally understand any reservations you might have with referring me anywhere without knowing anything about me!  I have no problem supplying pics or answering as many questions as it takes to get a result .... and if you happen to be close by - I would have no problem with you viewing the car!
Thanks for the reply mate.
Cheers,
Keith