Use in film shoots?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Use in film shoots?  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Stevew

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Use in film shoots?
« on: November 19, 2020, 03:51:32 pm »
Hi there
I have a ‘67 convertible and was approached by an advertising agency to use it in a shoot. It didn’t go ahead but got me wondering about offering the car for future ads.

Anyone got any experience in this? How do you make sure insurance is not affected?

Would obviously want to make sure the car is safe!

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: Use in film shoots?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 04:17:16 pm »
Unless you ticked the "business use" box on your insurance I reckon you'd be taking a risk of no cover if anything happened during such a shoot, or on the way to or from it. Damage to your car could be the least of it, damage to other cars or property or worse still public liability would be the big ones.

Do an online quote with your current insurer and answer the use question as "business and private" and see what happens.

If your car is on a club permit you'd be in breach of the conditions I reckon, which apart from the probably remote risk of a hefty fine could also have some insurance implications.

About 40 years ago I worked with an 18 year old kid who didn't have his car insured. He ran into a reasonably upscale Merc one night and was at fault. Both cars were written off. The $30K bill ruined his life. A couple of years before I had borrowed that much for my first house so this was serious money to an 18 year old kid.

The risk of there being an issue taking up this commercial opportunity with your car may be low, but the consequences can be very big.

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 06:05:39 pm »
This is taken from the VicRoads Club Permit Commercial use page -

The Club Permit Scheme allows conditional use of classic and historic vehicles for recreation purposes. Vehicles operating on Club Permit must not be used for a commercial purpose. 

For Club Permit vehicles, commercial use includes using the vehicle for hire or reward, including carrying goods or passengers for hire or reward. Examples of commercial use includes using Club Permit vehicles for purposes such as carrying tools as part of a landscaping or gardening business or using Club Permit vehicles as wedding cars for hire or for tours.

It is a general condition of use for all Club Permit vehicles that they must not be used for hire or reward for the carriage of goods or freight, or to provide a commercial passenger vehicle service.

Where VicRoads can determine that a vehicle is being used in breach of the general conditions, Club Permit will be suspended and cancelled.     

VicRoads will also inform Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria and the State Revenue Office, as well as the permit holder’s club, for consideration of potential further action if Club Permit vehicles are being used commercially. 

So it looks like no but if it's a club car, call your club rep/s.

Offline Stevew

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 06:34:22 pm »
Good feedback, thanks Geoff & Robster. Looks like it’s no go unless I change from club reg and check insurance

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:55:53 pm »
I have an old Rodeo trayback on a club permit and was advised that even using this to take parts to a club swap and sell event was in breach of the conditions.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 11:38:14 am »
This is an old thread but I thought that I would bring it up again as a reminder for those on Club Permits in Victoria that the vehicle cannot be used in the course of trade, hire or reward as part of the allowances for the permit issued on the car.  It is well publicized on our site information, with VicRoads and is spoken about when the application is completed and your car inspected by our club inspection officers.

If you are ever in doubt, you can contact any of them for advice.  i