Anyone know the correct clutch pedal adjustment spec for a 2001/2002 Cobra

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Anyone know the correct clutch pedal adjustment spec for a 2001/2002 Cobra  (Read 4126 times)

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
I have been shagging about with the adjustment on my clutch ever since I got the car - I starting playing with it in about 2006/7 and that's when the trouble started.
I've been through about 5-6 clutch cables and probably a similar number of the horseshoe shaped clutch cable clips (these were fitted to most XC/XE manual trans cars and used to be about $6...)

The reason for adjusting was that the low-rev gear change was not as smooth as I'd like, and the high-rev was much smoother but you couldn't change gear quickly - too fast a movement and it would baulk.

I have the same experience with the T-56 behind my 03 engine, and I'm wondering if there is a spec/method to adjustment that I'm missing.

Talking to the guys on US forums, the thrust bearing should be permanently engaged and therefore little-to-none freeplay in the pedal is probably the case, however I'm not convinced and hoping to find a spec for it that will be unique to the Australian cars as they had a completely different cable/pedalbox setup - anyone?
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline MYSNKE

• Pony
  • 1965 Coupe 1970 Mach 1 2002 Mustang Cobra
  • Name: Rob
Remember the US cars had a clutch self adjuster mechanism under the dash that they threw away in Australia and gave us the worlds longest clutch cable!!

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
Ok, correct adjustment appears to be zero free play in the pedal and the thrust bearing gently engaged. Our clutch cables have a collapsible rubber bush on the firewall that allows a token amount of ‘give’ when the pedal is depressed to the floor.

With the pedal setup this way, gear engagement is good.