Aftermarket HUD GPS Speedos / Speed cameras NSW

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Aftermarket HUD GPS Speedos / Speed cameras NSW  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
Aftermarket HUD GPS Speedos / Speed cameras NSW
« on: January 30, 2022, 05:44:39 pm »
Hi all, in my local area around the Snowy Mountains there has been an increase in the parking of speed cameras on the surrounding roads in the towns and open roads. Yes I accept that they save lives, slow drivers doing the wrong thing, and they are a fact of life in cities etc. What I do know from local drivers here around Tumut some are receiving fines for being just a few kilometres an hour over the limit. There doesn't appear to be any room for original factory speedo error at all, driving an early model first generation coupe I'm not 100% confident in my speedo's accuracy. A change in rim size, tyre profile or rear end final drive ratio can alter speedo readings. Has anyone used or using one of the Heads up display / aftermarket GPS speedos in their cars? Would appreciate any feedback if they work and are potential licence points saver or not. As I said at the start I accept that we should all drive to the posted speed limits and arrive safely to our destinations, what I am trying to avoid is losing points being just a few k's over the limit.                                                                             

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
Re: Aftermarket HUD GPS Speedos / Speed cameras NSW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 06:39:38 pm »
Hi Mick,

I use a GPS HUD in my 65 FB and it works great.  The only thing you need to be aware of is that the read-out isn't instant. But if you are able to drive at a constant speed on a highway / freeway it will give you an accurate reading, and you can then effectively calibrate what your speedo is saying for that particular 'accurate' speed.  E.g. get to know what you speedo is for 50kmh, 60kmh, 80kmh and 100kmh.

This the one I have - https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/gps-car-head-display-b/ .It sits on the dash and reflects as a HUD using a silver film attached to the windscreen. If I has the choice again I would get one that is just a a fully self contained box that sits on top of the dash (I have one of these in my 2017FB and my Mitsu Outlander daily, but they are an OBD11 version reading from the car computer, but I believe there are GPS equivalents).

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Shane

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 07:01:55 pm »
Hi Shane, thanks for the information mate just the sort of feedback I was looking for. I've seen the one with the film attached to the windshield and wasn't keen on it, have looked at a self contained unit since posting about GPS Speedos. It displays the speed without reflecting it up on the screen like a HUD. Pretty compact and unobtrusive I tried to post the link but couldn't get it to work. I like your idea of cross referencing the HUD's speed reading against the factory speedo.

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 07:02:52 pm »
Not a HUD but I use a Garmin Satnav in trip mode which shows a speedo over half of a 5 inch screen. Also shows trip details. As Shane said, it is a little behind but under normal driving is OK.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 08:44:57 am »
I wouldn't rely on anything on the original dashboard of an old Mustang. I have one like Shane's above, quite possibly after noticing his. I'd endorse what he says about them.

When my elderly Mum was still driving until about a year ago I got her one too for her Hyundai Tuscon. For her the advantage was not having to peer through the wheel at the dash and a much larger and easier to read speed display right in front of her.

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: jimmy hatziv
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 10:09:08 am »
I have been using the speedo app. on the phone with a phone holder and its great it also allows you to set an alarm and trip record.

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 10:12:18 am »
Has anyone used or using one of the Heads up display / aftermarket GPS speedos in their cars?                                                                         

I use one of the cheap magnetic phone mounts - allows you to run a simple GPS/Speedo app (and obviously NAV, track etc as you like)

Not as "in your line of site" as a HUD of course

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 04:14:35 pm »
Hey all,
I replaced my dash and cut out the dash to fit 5” AutoMeter gauges but went original MPH
How stupid was I!
I use a HUD from Polaris.
It works great, sits on my dash mate with and angle bracket and shines up on the windscreen.
But if you’ve got polarised sunglasses on it’s dim.
Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!