Old school penetrating fluid / leaf spring changeover 66 coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Old school penetrating fluid / leaf spring changeover 66 coupe  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Micks66coupe

• Stallion
  • Name: Mick
  • Car: 66 coupe
I picked up a set of reset leaf springs from AussiePhil for our 66 coupe, then read up and watched Youtube for a bit of extra advice. I noted how the front spring mounting bolt could be a pain to get out with some people having to cut out the old bolt. There was a link in one article about the best penetrating fluid was a home made one consisting of 50% Acetone & 50% Auto trans fluid mixed together. I mixed my own and for three days prior to me changing the springs I used an old metal oil can to spray all the front mounting bolts and bushes and rear shackles, diff U bolts etc.                      Today I changed the springs over and everything came apart easily including the front eye mounting bolts, I could even see traces of where the fluid had gotten into the centre of the front bush. Up until now I'd been a fan of WD40 & Inox for dealing with rusted fasteners, not anymore I'll just make my own  :flag: As far as the springs went the five leaf springs I got from Phil are great, was a little concerned about ride height and ride harshness after being used to the original four leaf springs with perished rubber bushes and fifty plus years of on road service. Both of my concerns were unfounded, the ride while firmer isn't uncomfortable and the ride height is only 15mm higher than the old springs (measured from the centre of the wheel arch to ground level) I drove the coupe to nearby Adelong and back when I finished the changeover this afternoon on a road that is rough in patches from the B double log trucks in my area. I will recheck the measurement again next week after I get more miles up as I believe it may settle down a little further. Special thanks to AussiePhil for his after sales service, Phil chased up the whereabouts of the springs on my behalf after the TOLL tracking number was telling me nothing. Thanks mate I'll be shouting you a beer if you are down In Tumut or I end up in Bathurst or where ever else we might cross paths in the future  :cheers:

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Hey Mick,
That’s great news!
I’m really glad they fitted as well and you’re happy with them!
The Toll transport thing was very frustrating, but funny when I finally got an answer that they where being delivered on that day, and very much a relief!
Glad your home made penetrating oil works so well.
As well as clearing old some old gear I’m trying to raise a bit extra cash to convince my wife I should update my dirt bike.
After a bad crash in May 2020 she was going to burn or sell my bike, and in Orange hospital I agreed!
But the good news is I’m off again today for a ride the Hill End via the Bridle Track, but a lot more careful though puddles, that was the problem, I got caught in a rut and the bike went one way and I went the other with the bike finally loading on top of me!
We will definitely keep in touch!
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 06:46:04 am by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Old school penetrating fluid / leaf spring changeover 66 coupe
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 07:59:23 am »
[quote author=AussiePhil link=topic=36212.msg338042#msg338042 date=1642879995
The Toll transport thing was very frustrating, but funny when I finally got an answer that they where being delivered on that day, and very much a relief!
[/quote]

I had a pickup with Allied scheduled for 4th Jan, they finally picked it up on. Fri 21st Jan after chasing them up and having it rebooked multiple times.

All the transport companies are getting slammed at the moment.

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
[quote author=AussiePhil link=topic=36212.msg338042#msg338042 date=1642879995

I had a pickup with Allied scheduled for 4th Jan, they finally picked it up on. Fri 21st Jan after chasing them up and having it rebooked multiple times.

All the transport companies are getting slammed at the moment.

Hey Dwayne,
Tolls problem was according to them was it’s unusual shape, so was it was not a track-able item!
For $105 freight you would expect it to be track-able.
We’re sort of disadvantaged out here in the sticks? Toll is really Bathurst couriers acting as an agent for Toll, as for TNT etc.
When you say slammed at the moment, do you mean with Covid.
That is what I’m hearing with all industries. So many having to isolate!
My son caught it at Xmas, he was pretty sick, couldn’t smell or taste, self isolated at his home.
Sorry to hear about your Allied experience.

Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!