Flooded Car

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Flooded Car  (Read 7294 times)

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
  • Name: Glen
  • Car: 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
Flooded Car
« on: March 01, 2022, 02:58:33 pm »
Hi all,

Very disappointing that my 69 Mach 1 went underwater on Sunday.  Shannon's have been good to deal with so far and will send someone to assess the car.  It has a market value on the insurance of $72k probably work a bit more in reality.

Has anyone had experience like this in the past and is there anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks

Glen  :cry:
Cheers Glen

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
Re: Flooded Car
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 04:23:55 pm »
That's really bad luck Glen.  So sorry to hear.

I'm definitely no expert, and I expect that it was fresh water flooding rather than saltwater (which has to be better).

Check that you have the option of salvage on the vehicle (I'm pretty sure that is a standard Shannons policy inclusion) - best to know your options. As you think that it is underinsured for current value, there is a higher chance that they will write it off rather than repair.

If you do get the salvage vehicle I expect that you would need to do the following:
- Complete strip out of vehicle (not strip paint) and somehow get the body dried out - the quicker the better to ensure that any water in the seams can be dried before it starts to rust.
- Seats striped and foam /hessian replaced
- Headliner removed and replaced
- Carpets - might be salvageable with a good dry out
- Complete rewire of all electricals - loom, plus alternator, headlights and tail-lights etc. (though maybe alternator is waterproof given it is subject to water in the engine bay - other experts might chime in here
- Complete strip and rebuild of motor (again, sooner rather than later as the cylinders will be full of water and start rusting straight away)
- Gearbox service?
- Carby rebuild (I expect due to water ingress)

You might like to seek expert advice on the body - if it is left for a while and rust forms in the seams, then I would expect the only way to get rid of it would be full chemical dip. Then you're talking a lot more money for bodywork and paint.  Hopefully you would be able to avoid that.

Best of luck.

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 05:09:47 pm »
Thanks some good information there. I was hoping all that work might be about the $30k mark (with no body work) and avoid a write off.
Cheers Glen

Offline russ68

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 05:43:13 pm »
Sorry to hear that Glen. A few years ago my daughter parked my old Camry in South Brisbane while she got her hair done. A freak storm came and when she got back a couple of hours later it was under water. Shannons wrote it off and paid full agreed value no quibbling. In reality it was worth a lot less than the agreed figure. Good luck with it though you should be quite confident with Shannons.

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 09:11:27 am »
Hi all,

Shannon's continue to be good to deal with.  They are going to come and assess the car today.  If they deem salvageable they will take it away for repairs - I think the issue is being able to provide a life time warranty on the repairs rather then being able to get them done and the car back on the road again.  If the car is considered a write off they will cut me a cheque for the value $72k and leave the car with me as is.  I'm hoping for $70k I would be able to get the car back on the road with some improvements.  Any suggestions on who to use in Brisbane.

Thanks

Glen
Cheers Glen

Offline 289 vert

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 09:33:59 am »
Will Shannons re-insure a car they have previously written off?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 10:53:29 am »
If the car is considered a write off they will cut me a cheque for the value $72k and leave the car with me as is.  I'm hoping for $70k I would be able to get the car back on the road with some improvements. 

Thanks

Glen

I thought they cut you a cheque and take the car. Shannons would then auction the car to try and recover some of the funds.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 01:13:09 pm »
I thought they cut you a cheque and take the car. Shannons would then auction the car to try and recover some of the funds.

Most classic car insurers offer salvage rights - Shannons does for cars over 35 years old and call it out prominently on their website (you have to elect salvage rights option though when insuring) - see https://www.shannons.com.au/insurance/car-insurance/key-features#:~:text=With%20our%20Comprehensive%20Car%20Insurance%2C%20if%20your%20vehicle%20is%20over%2035%20years%20old%2C%20or%20you%20have%20the%20Salvage%20Rights%20optional%20cover%2C%20and%20your%20vehicle%20is%20a%20total%20loss%2C%20you%20will%20keep%20the%20unrepaired%20vehicle.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 01:33:25 pm »
Most classic car insurers offer salvage rights - Shannons does for cars over 35 years old and call it out prominently on their website (you have to elect salvage rights option though when insuring) - see https://www.shannons.com.au/insurance/car-insurance/key-features#:~:text=With%20our%20Comprehensive%20Car%20Insurance%2C%20if%20your%20vehicle%20is%20over%2035%20years%20old%2C%20or%20you%20have%20the%20Salvage%20Rights%20optional%20cover%2C%20and%20your%20vehicle%20is%20a%20total%20loss%2C%20you%20will%20keep%20the%20unrepaired%20vehicle.

That's pretty cool, wonder if it's registerable afterwards or can just be used for parts.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 03:14:50 pm »
... wonder if it's registerable afterwards or can just be used for parts.

Not sure. Would depend on how the insurer reports the write-off to the registration authorities. You would hope it would be reported as a repairable write-off, so would be registerable.  But maybe when salvage is given to the insured person they don't report it at all?

@Glen Mach 1 - would definitely be in your interest to ask Shannons what reporting they would do if it is written off.

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 02:18:50 pm »
Hi all,

Still waiting for assessment.  I have salvage rights so will be left with the car as is and the $.  If a statutory write off then it is very difficult to get registered again, if an insurance write-off you can repair and get re=registered once you get the car back up to scratch to pass a road worthy.

I'll keep the thread updated.
Cheers Glen

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 06:12:24 am »
once repaired, if you sell it out of the country (NZ, US, UK etc) then the written-off history will likely not follow it for insurance purposes.

However, it will always be written off/repairable car in Australia, believe standard practice is that - once repaired - they'll only offer 3rd party on it again so they don't ever have to pay out on the same car a second time. Could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 12:39:21 pm »
So how does 'salvage rights' work? Do they apply a value to the 'wreck' then deduct that from the insured value that they would otherwise pay you in full?

If a write off they will pay out the full amount of the insured value and then leave the car as is with me.  I would expect that I would be able to sell the car as is for $25k even for parts???

Thanks

Glen
Cheers Glen

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 01:09:35 pm »
That's really bad luck Glen.  So sorry to hear.

I'm definitely no expert, and I expect that it was fresh water flooding rather than saltwater (which has to be better).

Check that you have the option of salvage on the vehicle (I'm pretty sure that is a standard Shannons policy inclusion) - best to know your options. As you think that it is underinsured for current value, there is a higher chance that they will write it off rather than repair.

If you do get the salvage vehicle I expect that you would need to do the following:
- Complete strip out of vehicle (not strip paint) and somehow get the body dried out - the quicker the better to ensure that any water in the seams can be dried before it starts to rust.
- Seats striped and foam /hessian replaced
- Headliner removed and replaced
- Carpets - might be salvageable with a good dry out
- Complete rewire of all electricals - loom, plus alternator, headlights and tail-lights etc. (though maybe alternator is waterproof given it is subject to water in the engine bay - other experts might chime in here
- Complete strip and rebuild of motor (again, sooner rather than later as the cylinders will be full of water and start rusting straight away)
- Gearbox service?
- Carby rebuild (I expect due to water ingress)

You might like to seek expert advice on the body - if it is left for a while and rust forms in the seams, then I would expect the only way to get rid of it would be full chemical dip. Then you're talking a lot more money for bodywork and paint.  Hopefully you would be able to avoid that.

Best of luck.

Hey Shane - what do you think the cost would be high level before any body work?  I think the general rule of thumb is 65% of the insurance value before a write off so would give them $45-$50k to play with...
Cheers Glen

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2022, 02:21:46 pm »
Hey Shane - what do you think the cost would be high level before any body work?  I think the general rule of thumb is 65% of the insurance value before a write off so would give them $45-$50k to play with...

Hi Glen. Sorry - I'm no expert on that.  I'd more work it on an guesstimate of min $30k if full dip/strip and repaint is required.  Other experts or those who have recently had this done might be able comment better here.  That would leave $40k or so max for the other work.

I'd suggest arming yourself with information.  Find a trusted shop who could do the body work and start talking to them.  As your a Brisvegas boy maybe Shaun Power might worth trying to contact - at least for a quick chat.  Shaun used to be very active on here as Shaunp (https://forum.mustang.org.au/index.php?action=profile;u=431), but now I think is more active on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/shaun.t.power).  I think he has a setup in Wynnum, but looks like he is currently in Stanthorpe (going by his most recent post).

Anyone else got any Brisbane based car builder recommendations?

The more info you know the more informed discussion you can have with the insurer.

Cheers
Shane

Offline pgold

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul Gold
  • Car: 69 sportsroof
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2022, 05:24:45 pm »
I think classifying a car unrepairable right off is to stop the VIN # from a unrepairable car being used to rebirth stolen cars.

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2022, 09:53:15 pm »
Hi all a Statutory or unrepairable write-off is the end of the road for the car as it will be very difficult to get registered again or repaired with the VIN number being effectively removed.  If a repairable write off for insurance purposes it can be re-registered and insured again once it passes a much higher level of "roadworthiness" review to reactivate the VIN.
Cheers Glen

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2022, 04:21:16 pm »
Hey Glen, sorry to hear about your bad luck, real set back, and heartache,
I would have thought that it would be hard to classify a flood damaged car as an unrepairable, apart from the water invasion to all the nooks and crannies of the body and the long term effects that could have, the car is still structurally sound and straight, to me the biggest pain would be completely gutting the car and starting again,
Good luck with it all,
Andrew..,

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2022, 07:58:44 pm »
Hey Glen, sorry to hear about your bad luck, real set back, and heartache,
I would have thought that it would be hard to classify a flood damaged car as an unrepairable, apart from the water invasion to all the nooks and crannies of the body and the long term effects that could have, the car is still structurally sound and straight, to me the biggest pain would be completely gutting the car and starting again,
Good luck with it all,
Andrew..,

Thanks Andrew I tend to agree but at the end of the day I guess the $ will decide.  Still in being assessed so I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers Glen

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 04:19:04 pm »
Hi all,

So car had been deemed a total loss and treated as a repairable write off.  I will get paid out the policy amount and then the car 'as is' returned to me.

If I'm going to sell the car 'as is' what do you think a fair amount would be?
Cheers Glen

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 06:20:46 pm »
That’s a good question that I can’t answer . You have a lot of people wanting it already I see . Maybe auction it and see what happens .  Sooner the better tho . For what you got paid out and what buyers have offered your doing ok ,BUT if you want to replace it your going to pay $80,000 plus for another one .

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2022, 06:11:28 pm »
that sucks mate. my understanding is over 15 years old there is no recorded  written off register. It would be a matter of representing it for a roadworthy. That is the case with motorbikes in SA. My Shannons policy has salvage writes which my understanding is I get the wreck back even if they pay out, at no expense to me. Mine is also insured for agreed value. Very different for my BT50.. good luck and keep us in the loop

Offline Glen Mach 1

• Stallion
  • 69 MSTG
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2022, 03:39:05 pm »
Hi all,

Do you think $35k to get the car back on the road is about right?
. Flood related mechanical works including rebuild differential and new wiring
. Flood related interior works, including door cards and installation of new headlining.
. Panel alignment, to Ford delivery standard
. Repaint and clean up engine bay
. New windscreen
. Realign windows and for new rubbers/seals
. Tidy overspray areas
. Rust removal of visible areas and rust treatment of sill, plenum, doors and cavities
. Sound deadening
. Reinstall concourse stickers, paint and detail boot area.

Thanks

Glen
Cheers Glen