Shelby UCA Drop

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Shelby UCA Drop  (Read 9155 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Re: Shelby UCA Drop
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2022, 07:43:40 pm »
Hey Seany-boy,
Yes you are right, the roller carriers are double sealed and basically can’t be greased.
There has been a lot of conversation over the years on forums about coil spring roller vs bush (polyurethane etc.) perches / carriers.
Roller bearings are supposed to rotate, not rock back and forwards.
This is we’re pitting comes into it.

If your car lumbers along the road up and down the roller bearings will have reasonable rotation.
The stiffer and less travel you have the less rotation you’ll get and more chances of pitting.

I’m certainly not saying don’t use them, I have them!
I think there is a lot of extraordinary hype about roller perches.

Cheers Phil.

If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2022, 08:17:26 pm »
If you relocate the spring perches 1", it'll give you a better motion ratio, and give you back most of the height you lost to the drop.
It'll also increase spring rate, but roller perches will negate that.
Hey vert,
I had never heard of this relocation of the spring perch before but I’ve just seen it on the Opentracker website.
It gives you another adjustability to the suspension fine tuning.

One thing I’ve never driven a Mustang without roller perches, on the web site they give them a huge wrap!
Do they make that much difference!

Cheers Phil.

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2022, 09:35:55 pm »
Ha, I never noticed any difference on the road Phil, to be honest. Nice to say I have them but..... it may be different if you raced or thrashed around. I think with our Victorian roads, the bearing should rotate given the bumps and potholes everywhere!

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2022, 09:39:49 pm »
Hey all,
With all of this roller perch talk I thought I’d see what brand mine were and note it.
Do you think I could find them, for a start they are cadmium plated.
Only Prothane brand looked possible but they have a grease nipple and are slightly different.
I’ve handled these perches many times not taking particular interest and they just appeared to be roller perches.
It turns out after an hour googling they are POL Performance Online Polyurethane perches. :lmao:
They must have been fitted in the US before the car came out.
Hahaha what a goose!
Anyhow Cheers Phil.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:42:26 pm by AussiePhil »

Offline 289 vert

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2022, 10:03:41 am »
The first stangs used a bronze bushing, allowing them to turn freely. Poly and roller perches do the same. To me, they seem to make higher spring rates seem less harsh, making them feel like a lighter spring. Yeah, the relocation is another point of adjustability, can always go back to the original holes if you don't like the feel.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline ag71

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: ag
  • Car: 1966 hardtop
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2022, 03:49:09 pm »
Ag, I am sure someone has pointed you to Kerry's excellent document https://www.mustangtech.com.au/Content/pa=showpage/pid=10.html  is similar to the Dazecars but maybe a little easier to follow a couple of key steps in. I recently did the shims in the UVCA to increase the caster to over 5 deg and it made quite a difference to the drivability, better return to centre and a bette feel to the steering generally with a less light feel on the road. I did this with the engine and steering still in the car and not replacing the UCA bolt by using cone locknuts. https://forum.mustang.org.au/index.php/topic,36076
Might be worth considering just for street drivability.

thanks yes I will have a read