MSD Coil Gone Bad?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: MSD Coil Gone Bad?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Azz67

• Thoroughbred
MSD Coil Gone Bad?
« on: November 13, 2021, 01:31:52 pm »
hey all,
I was doing some testing of suspected ignition coil problems (MSD blaster 3) and pulled the dizzy lead off the coil top only for the whole cap to come off. Inside was surprised to find it like this, is this ting toast.??
I multimetered it while I was there and got 5.45 k ohms, I stuck the probe down into the coil centre with the cap off ?? I dont seem to be able to get the cap back on properly so wtf knows !!
I have been having intermittent misfire and general running issues of late and now as of couple weeks ago I cannot get the engine to crank.
So I'm hoping I've found my gremlin.
Appreciate your advice before I go run out buying a new coil.

Cheers
Aaron
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 01:33:29 pm by Azz67 »

Offline P8TRIOT

• Worked
Re: MSD Coil Gone Bad?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 11:57:24 am »
Yes, pretty crappy design. There should be more of that mesh stuff inside the coil hole. You  could try to fish it out and rewrap around that screw thing and try to re insert it that way.
If not they do make them with a female plug. You'll just need the male type  lead if you want.to go that way.
Do you have a 12v relay feeding your dizzy ?
They need full 12v at all times to run properly.
If that all gets sorted and you still have issues it's probably the magnetic pick up in the distributor.. They're cheap enough at around 80 bucks.
Ive had to replace mine recently in a ready to run msd.
Symptoms were number 1 plug fowling, no spark when cold. I had to crank it a fair bit and it would eventually wake up.
It was a pain in the arse to replace in that model but since my options were buying a new dizzy versus 80 bucks i had a crack at it anyway and so far so good. Knock on wood.