Plug for oil pan in Windsor motor

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Plug for oil pan in Windsor motor  (Read 1699 times)

Offline 65 Fastback

• Pony
Plug for oil pan in Windsor motor
« on: October 28, 2021, 12:57:32 pm »
Good morning all,

A question about oil pan and dipstick on a roller Windsor motor… if I swap to a traditional timing cover with dipstick, is there a plug available for the dipstick hole in the pan? I know some have had theirs welded up but I am looking for a cheaper/easier option.

Thanks

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Re: Plug for oil pan in Windsor motor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 06:06:28 am »
Hey Fastback.
When you say you have a hole in your oil pan.
My old dip stick hole is in the block.
I made a metal plug with a little interference and punched it in with a little Loctite 601.
Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline 289 vert

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 02:40:02 pm »
You could plug the dipstick hole in the new timing cover, and use the oil pan as is.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline 65 Fastback

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 08:45:25 pm »
I think that might be easier! Good idea. Thanks

Offline 289 vert

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 08:23:45 am »
You're welcome. Some more info.
I used an engine from a sn95 mustang as a donor. Kept the EFI and serpentine belt. Like Phil, it had a dipstick hole in the block. Used a 3/8 freeze plug to block it.
Unlike the fox body donors, you can't drill the brackets and timing cover for a front mounted dipstick. I was gunna use a Canton pan to get a pan mounted dipstick, then found out bout the Falcon pans with a dipstick. I don't think America has a similar pan.
I think a 3/8 freeze plug would seal either the pan or timing cover.
A word of caution, it's possible that hammering in a plug into the plate in the side of the pan could loosen the plate resulting in a leak, maybe cut a block of wood to support the plate from inside the pan. My donor pan came from a burnt out EB GT. the fire burned the gasket between the plate and the pan, making the plate loose. I made a new gasket outta gasket material, re-rivetted it with sealed rivets so that oil couldn't seep through the stem, used rivets with a steel stem, they pull tighter.
Lotsa choices. Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:34:31 am by 289 vert »
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline 65 Fastback

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 12:37:04 pm »
Thanks. I think I will just keep the pan dipstick and plug the timing cover. Cheers