A/F tester/monitor reading very rich

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: A/F tester/monitor reading very rich  (Read 3602 times)

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
A/F tester/monitor reading very rich
« on: October 20, 2021, 01:22:11 pm »
Wanted to get any opinions from folks who may have a lot more experience than me on this.
A couple of years ago I bought an older A/F Monitor to help me play with the Mach1 carb tuning- as an amateur! It is one of those that you insert in the exhaust and so I assume it has an oxy sensor in the pipe as there are wires coming out to the unit. It is pretty old and I can find no instructions online and cannot find any info on it.
So, when inserted in the mustang it reads extremely rich almost all the time, backs off a bit towards a leaner reading but bounces around all over the place and is really of no use due to the instability of the reading. Took it for a drive with the unit strapped in and it offer no additional useful info, bounced around and was not giving logical readings to acceleration and decel.
So we have tried it on a coupe of more modern injected cars and it reads very much stable and approximately where I would expect, 14.7 ish on one and a bit more lean on another. Richer while choke engaged then leaner. Did not do a driving test but idling seemed to be reasonably stable and probably fairly accurate.
Put it on brothers 352 Galaxie and same result as the mustang- all over the place and very rich.

So, are our carb vehicles very rich compared to modern ones, do they spit out rich fumes then more lean ones ?
Am I doing something fundamentally wrong in the way I have plugged it in? Or are specific testers needed for our cars?
Am I wasting my time and hence the unit goes to the bin? (this is my current thinking!)

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
Re: A/F tester/monitor reading very rich
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 03:28:04 pm »
Sounds like the equipment not being compatible, but the old 'in the back pipe' air fuel testers were around in the carby engine days so you think it would work.

An alternative which I'd love to do someday is this one from the AutoRestoMod boys:

https://youtu.be/m7jZJjk4n7I

Looks cheap and reasonably simple.

Offline scollist

• Worked
  • 65FB, 2017 GT
  • Name: Shane
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 03:32:19 pm »
... though read the comments about wideband vs narrowband AF sensors in the video comments before going down that path.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 03:41:17 pm »
What engine and carb? A lot of these old girls are over carbed, including mine even with 63 jets in the 600 Holley.

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 05:38:53 pm »
cleveland with 650 speed demon. The 352 Galaxie is whatever they come with I guess. Should add that both have been on the dyno and tuned probably 6 months ago so I suspect if it was that rich then it would have been picked up on the dyno.

Ahaa, the narrowband versus wideband might make sense.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:42:04 pm by seany-boy »

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 02:44:46 pm »
Dunno if the current sensor is WB or NB - because it did register 14.something in a modern car, right?

Implies it's capable of reading leaner mixtures, but isn't...
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)