starter motor problem after conversion to manual

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: starter motor problem after conversion to manual  (Read 1737 times)

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
starter motor problem after conversion to manual
« on: August 09, 2020, 09:48:05 am »
I converted my 70 351C back to manual a while ago and have had consistent issues with the starter motor 'missing' and not engaging about every 3rd time I try to start. I used the auto starter motor I already had  with a spacer. I have played with it to see if I could get a tighter fit to the flywheel but no change.
Should I get a short throw manual starter or am I likely to have another issue, I don't believe the flywheel teeth were damaged but will check when I get next get it on hoist.
Just wondering if this is a typical issue or if I have an issue with my car?

Offline 6t9m1

• Thoroughbred
Re: starter motor problem after conversion to manual
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 12:10:44 am »
 :thumb:
You have done everything right so it sounds like the pinion gear on the end of your starter is freewheeling as it is attached to a one way clutch.
But in saying that if you hear a screech it may be a clearance issue as you mentioned.

I will also add that some spacers need a small relief area ground out of them to sit squarely on the starter.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:16:26 am by 6t9m1 »

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 08:01:33 am »
I can’t remember but I don’t think you need the spacer . That’s for Aussie starter motors for manuals not autos . American starters are different but I’m not 100% sure now

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 08:29:34 am »
thanks I will take another look at how square it is on the spacer. Definitely need it Glenn as the auto and manual ring gear is located differently.

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 04:35:40 pm »
US cars had two different starters for auto and manual but when they started putting 289's in XR Falcons they only used the auto one and developed the spacer for the manuals. So the spacer will be needed in this application.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 05:41:19 pm »
What I was trying to say was the American starters were different to our Aussie ones . The US ones had 2 different starters for auto and manual transmissions . Aussi starters were the same but a manual needed the spacer .  You might have an aussi starter .

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 09:50:56 am »
What I was trying to say was the American starters were different to our Aussie ones . The US ones had 2 different starters for auto and manual transmissions . Aussi starters were the same but a manual needed the spacer .  You might have an aussi starter .

Ill put my money on this one.
luvheV
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:52:37 pm »
lol, a bit of confusion coming into the thread. As per the initial post, I have a spacer in the car. It is a US auto starter motor from when the car was an auto and never had this issue but now it is a manual (with a spacer) I am having the issue about every 3rd or 4th time I try to start it. I will check how square the motor is if the spacer sometimes need modification as per suggestion from 6t9m1.

Cheers everyone for your replies.

Offline Daz 67GTA

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 12:12:19 pm »
I've got a couple of spare "aussie" starters you are more than welcome to try out (remote soloniod). Give me a call  - I've sent a PM.
Daz
'67 GTA Coupe
Mick Webb 351C
C10 w/2700 Hi-stall
Strange 9" w/Eaton Truetrac

Offline 6t9m1

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 09:36:20 pm »
Picture of Spacer Cut Out