Generation 6 - S550 Discussion Area > Wheels & Tyres

More Grip Please

<< < (2/2)

Hammer:
Thought I'd give an update - it's been a while.

Spoke with a few performance shops and the first thing each said was "Coil Overs" and lower the centre of gravity.
Looking around, like everything else, you can thousands for a kit and hundreds more for installation and the very necessary alignment.

In the end, I opted for the Pedders SportsRyder eXtreme XA Adjustable Coilover Shock Absorber Kit  - supplied and installed for $2.5K (I'm sure the price has gone up a bit since).

I'm not looking for track performance, just good, predictable street driving.

As these are height  adjustable, I requested a 25 - 30 mm drop.  Lower, fill the wheel arches but don't go OTT.

My first impression is that the car is flatter (25mm drop front, 30 mm drop rear).
It's a little bumpier - but only on the bigger bumps - hardly noticeable on regular roads.
Braking is flatter, cornering flatter and tighter and off the line seems to have improved too.

Service out of Pedders Burwood was great - and they offered a check up after the first month.

Car looks better too - much better stance.

Overall I am very happy with the result and would recommend this set if anyone is just looking to get the bit better performance out of their standard S550.

Anyone else fitted this set ?  what do you think ?

Sharkierulz:
Anybody have any experience with Toyo R888Rs? I need more grip (having gone the whole suspension, bushes and bits path already) and at 400kw/600NM (still NA) I have next to no grip. Even mildly hot hatches makes a mockery of the Mustang off the line

Looking at 285-35-19s for the Toyos on the rear and my question really is, how long do these take to warm up? Not fussed about the wear as I only do 5000km a year in the Stang.

gbader:

--- Quote from: Sharkierulz on December 21, 2021, 02:52:51 pm ---Anybody have any experience with Toyo R888Rs? I need more grip (having gone the whole suspension

--- End quote ---

I have sticky's on my 65 for track but I couldn't live with them on the road, they pick up and flick up too much loose crap

I am just replacing the ones on my 16 now, have Potenza S001 on the rear @ 295/35/20 but switching to Pilot Sport 4s (never had them before but seem to be a popular choice in the S550 crowd)

Hammer:
A few weeks after fitting the Pedders, I had a 'noise' from the rear.
Jacked the car up and noticed that the adjustment lock nuts were loose on both sides.  I tightened them up and had another trip to Pedders Burwood to check evertthing was tight.

With Lockdowns etc. I've not driven the car a lot and certainly not long trips - it's a 2017, bought in June 2018 and has just under 30K on it.

After my second visit to Pedders it's been fine.

However, recently there's been a clunk at the rear - a different clunk than when the lock nuts were loose and when driving around residential streets - school runs etc.
Highway is fine - no clunking.

So, checked the locknuts were still tight - they were and booked into Pedders Ferntree Gully (Burwood is closed).  They reported all the Pedders stuff was good but the rear sway bar end links need to be replaced - that's the clunk.

They suggested they might be covered under warranty but could not say.

Called my Ford dealer and it;s booked in for an assessment - in 3 weeks.

I fully expect ford to turn down any warranty claim as the car is lowered and so have ordered a set of replacement end links - they seem easy enough to fit but, I guess will need a little adjustment.
Saw a couple of youtubes - one is to fit at the same length as the OE.  But another shows fitting and then refitting the wheel, rolling the car in and out of the garage, and then adjusting to a neutral position with the car on the floor (jack it back up, wheel off to tighten).

Anyone else had to replace end links as a result of lowering - is this normal ?

Hammer:
and more.....

Saw Pedders shop again and replaced the factory rear sway bar end links.

But, still getting the noise – more of a clank than a clang so don’t think it’s exhaust banging about.
Can’t get into my dealership for another week and a half so trying to figure out what it might be.
Wondered if you guys might have any suggestions.

I have no idea what it might be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version