Now you've finished your Restomod.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Now you've finished your Restomod.  (Read 4452 times)

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Now you've finished your Restomod.
« on: July 01, 2020, 12:22:51 am »
Congratulations you've finished your Restomod.

It's taken you months, years of planning, gathering enough money, sanding, grinding, fitting, machining, welding, getting busted knuckles etc.

Now you sit down, sit back and enjoy it!

But is it the car you want now! Would you have done something different?

I have and guess what, it evolved, rolling along costing my wife extreme amounts of money and I look back and wonder is this the car I intended,  I made my car into a hot rod, It sure gets lots of lookers and I like that, It goes like hell, I like that, but I can't  do that, it sounds great and gets a lot of lookers, I like that, but it's a bit stiff, It's a bit uncomfortable, need to be gentle with it, I can't drive it as much as I'd like to, it seems a waste.

Even though you have finished your Restomod you are looking for the next mod and it seems never endless!

It seems now I only wanted a cruiser that I could drive every day.

Is it worth it, Bloody oath! I'll just drive my wife's car.

Cheers and good restomoding.
I wish you the best of happiness!

Phil.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:47:33 am by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline nickd

• Worked
  • MOCA Vic Member 924
  • Name: Nick
  • Car: 1965 Coupe
Re: Now you've finished your Restomod.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 03:40:04 pm »
You make some very valid points there.

When we started the journey over 20 years ago, we decided that we would build a car that was sound, looked good, and could be driven long distances. We ended up with a mild 289, extractors, 4 barrel, gas shocks and 15 inch wheels.

It has now done in the order of, 2 trips to QLD, 6 to SA, 3 to NSW and lots around Victoria.

It still looks great (we did a bare metal 2 pak in 1998), get lots of lookers and is comfortable to drive.

Whatever you build, enjoy the ride and the attention.

Offline frenchy68

• P Plates
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 01:28:10 pm »
All,
Very good discussion, i'm just coming to the end of a long term (12 years!) on and off build and naturally in that time you change your view and potentially wants and each build you improve the process.

Personally a restomod is making the car how YOU want it, for me it is the classic lines of a 65 mustang with modern refinements while keeping the original theme of the car.

For most people resto modding is a challenge for us to design/ build with pride and learn along the way with something we cruise in with like minded people.

Enjoy the challenge!

Cheers

Offline Haggspeed

• Pony
  • Name: Jeff
  • Car: 67 Mustang Fastback
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 09:55:28 pm »
I've never owned a stock standard car in my life.  Any machine can be improved, so if you want to, why not?  The only advice I'd give is: Have a PLAN, a BUDGET and a REALISTIC EXPECTATION of what the end result will be.  Having said that, with my project, I didn't follow any of those rules...

Offline Tempest

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 08:51:28 am »
Agreed.

I love driving mine. sounds tough, goes quick, handles well, better clutch and gear shift than my daily driver, great paint job, the double pumper carb is cool.
But its stiff around town, has no choke so needs babying in the morning, I get nervous when its parked out places and I didn't have anywhere that interesting to take it for a drive.
I had a plan, and a budget, but at every stage it was easy to spend that "little" bit extra to get the something better, shinier,  bigger cam, bigger brakes, better paint, it snowballed, and I'm always a little conscious of how much i spent on it.

But saying all that; I just moved to Tassie and now I have hills and twisty roads and its reminded me why I built it. It goes hard, sounds great, handles the turns. It's not built for town, that's why I have a daily drive.
It's about to tick over 10,000miles since the rebuild and Every time I take the mustang out of town it puts a smile on my face  :burnout:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:53:14 am by Tempest »