Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 4682 times)

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Greg
Shocks
« on: September 09, 2019, 06:45:21 pm »
Hey
Got the 67 coupe with 302W and needing new shocks. Ive been looking at shocks like the Koni, KYB, Pedders and Monroe.
Car is only a weekend cruiser dropped 1" at the front.
Would like nice sporty and firm ride.
What do you guys suggest?? Which option would be a good budget option for a firm sporty ride??
Cheers

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Shocks
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:48:18 pm »
Koni if you can afford them and adjust them to suit, or KYB Gas adjust.

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 06:56:51 pm »
Got a quote to supply and fit Konis for $1150. Good price??

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44:36 am »

For what it sounds like your intended use is, I would use the KYB Gas Adjust shocks and save a ton of money.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 01:25:48 pm »

Shop around and watch Ebay you'll get them for maybe $800, you can fit them your self.

Offline Gallop

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 03:01:06 pm »

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 03:08:17 pm »
Thanks heaps for the info and suggestions.

Offline USA066

• Worked
  • Robbo
  • Name: Colin
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 03:12:26 pm »
I have new Bilsteins on my 66 front and rear. Very happy.
2007 GT Convertible
2008 Bullitt
1966 Coupe

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 09:07:21 am »
so many choices of brands and level of performance

Offline 68Coupe

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Andrew
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 12:52:25 pm »
+1 for Bilstein shocks. Swapped the KYB gas-a-just shocks out of the '68 coupe as they were way to firm/hard. Replaced them with Bilstein street valved shocks front and back and it was a huge improvement, still nice firm handling but a much more comfortable ride. Perfect for a street car/weekend cruiser. One of the easier jobs you can do yourself as well to save on cost. Bought them from Opentracker who were excellent to deal with. :thumb:

https://opentrackerracing.com/product-category/products-all/front-suspension/shocks/

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 08:56:09 pm »
+1 for bilsteins on street ( and dealing with John @ Opentracker or Shaun @ Street or track.)

I have had both on current vehicle and the Konis definitely worked better - but I was doing some track and autox days when I originally upgraded to the konis. Both were great on street obviously.

We all have varying budgets and definitions but I feel if you are really keen on a "firm and sporty ride" you should find a car with a panhard bar or watts link out back and atleast go for a spin in it. Totally transforms these cars.

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 07:43:04 am »
Thanks for all the info, suggestions and experience with the varying brands.
decided to have a look under the back of the car to see what shocks the car came with when i purchased it. i found that the back has KYB Excel G shocks and will assime the front has as well, as couldnt see much of the shock and spring.
ive bounced the car up and down at both ends and its not sloppy and comes to a stop instantly.
ive had fitted a 1" lowered spring on the front.
the handles well on the road and comfy ride but does no feel firm.
are these KYB just a good standard replacement for the originals and i would have look at another shock if i want a bit more firm ride?
the front drivers (LHD) tends to bottom out and scrub the 225z17s when i hit a dip in the road.
and the car feels a bit soft when going around a roundabout at normal speed.
would the Gas A Just or Pedders Sports Ryder be the next best choice to uograde the firmness?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 09:07:54 am »
Xcel G are very soft shock, what springs did you use? King KFFL-0?.  I personal think there are only 3 choices in order of cost, KYB gas adjust,  Billy's or Koni. Koni you can adjust yourself to the feel you want
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:10:09 am by shaunp »

Offline gregi66

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 09:26:06 am »
ive got Lovells springs 1" lowered
that explains why the suspension feels nice comfortable soft and not much of a firm ride.
ive never use KYB Excel G or any other KYB so didnt know if thats how the Excel G is supposed to feel.

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 08:42:02 pm »
I'm with Shaunp on Koni's if you can afford them. I purchased KYB's for the rear and found them more harsh than firm so banged some Koni Red in the rear and they are a 5 minute job to adjust to how you like. They recommend full soft from memory out the box, I went firmer but then reverted to softer. They are not soft even on softest setting for street.
Not sure about fronts but assume changing the setting would be a bigger task.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 07:39:03 pm »
I've got KYB Gas Adjust shocks on my '67 and they seem way too stiff, over-controlling the springs. I very much want a softer ride up front, light street use only.
Noted the feedback on Bilsteins. What about other brands - eg Monroe, Gabriel, and Scott Drake?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 02:03:24 am »
I've got KYB Gas Adjust shocks on my '67 and they seem way too stiff, over-controlling the springs. I very much want a softer ride up front, light street use only.
Noted the feedback on Bilsteins. What about other brands - eg Monroe, Gabriel, and Scott Drake?

If your springs are stiffer than stock then the blue monroematics will work or the kyb g shocks.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 08:41:05 am by barnett468 »

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 06:53:05 am »
Good point, thankyou; as the car was in bits when I bought it I don't know whether the springs are original '67 FB spec or not.
Best I review both springs and shocks then, start afresh. Stock spec will be fine for my purposes, just have to find the correct match in both cases.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 12:57:33 pm »
Can someone please tell me how the King KFFL-0 springs compare to stock 67FB springs? They have been recommended in previous threads, & seem to be an easy to obtain item. But are they intended as replacements, or are they intentionally stiffer for more 'performance'? TIA

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 02:17:02 pm »
Can someone please tell me how the King KFFL-0 springs compare to stock 67FB springs? They have been recommended in previous threads, & seem to be an easy to obtain item. But are they intended as replacements, or are they intentionally stiffer for more 'performance'? TIA

Lower and progressive rate. They are higher rate with heavier wire to start with, and the progressive design means the loaded spring, will up rate further under cornering load etc, for flatter handling.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 07:48:05 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Shaunp. I'll try a set on my car & see how they are.