Freight Forwarders for Parts

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Freight Forwarders for Parts  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Dingo80

• Worked
Freight Forwarders for Parts
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:00:11 am »
I know this topic has been spoken about before but seems most threads are old. I wanted some feedback on freight forwarders being used for parts. I mostly buy in Aus but have had to go to US for some headers and a couple of other bits and pieces. I have used my american shipper a few times over the years but their prices seems to have risen a great deal. Any one have any good experiences?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:15:39 am by Dingo80 »

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Freight Forwarders for Parts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 11:24:26 am »
Locally I use transdirect.com.au and e-go.com.au

Offline cc1509

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 01:43:49 pm »
Hi

I have used myUS.com never had a problem with them you choose how much you want to pay for freight etc

Can hold items for 30 days and they put all together which makes it cheaper too

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:48:49 pm »
I have used myUS.com never had a problem with them you choose how much you want to pay for freight etc

I assume they add 10% GST onto the total value of the shipment?
Cheers,
Brian

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 09:40:32 am »
How does this work?

I'm assuming you buy from the supplier like any transaction but you designate your address as the address of the freight forwarder?

Then you notify the freight forwarder that they'll be receiving parts and where to send them in Aus.?

s

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:09:37 am »
How does this work?

As you postulated, just set up an account with the forwarder (free) and have your purchases addressed to yourself at the forwarder's US address.  From memory they are set up so you pay no US domestic sales tax and also offer a purchase service for retailers that insist on payment via a US credit card and/or billing address.

Then just let them know the details of your purchase(s) and they will consolidate and re-pack your goods for shipping to Australia.  The other good thing about MyUS compared to most other freight forwarders is their shipping charges are based on actual weight rather than volumetric weight, which is good for large/bulky items that don't actually weigh that much (e.g. spoilers, decal/stripe kits, etc.)

Only downsides I'm aware of are their per kg  shipping rates are higher than some others (in spite of what they tell you) and I'm pretty sure you will be paying GST on everything you buy where that's not always the case when you ship direct from some of the smaller US retailers.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:57:38 am »
Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of leaf springs and shocks, are freight forwarders in general, cheaper for postage than having the supplier post it directly to Aus.?

I'm assuming the supplier has free postage within USA.

s

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:38 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a pair of leaf springs and shocks, are freight forwarders in general, cheaper for postage than having the supplier post it directly to Aus.?

Hop on to MyUS.com and check - you can do a freight quote without having to sign up for an account.

In my limited experience, the freight forwarders are competitive for lighter items but once you get into the heavy stuff like springs and shocks you most likely will be better off with shipping direct  from the supplier.
Cheers,
Brian