Technical & General Discussion Area > Members Cars

63.5 Galaxie

<< < (2/9) > >>

SXTY8:

--- Quote from: GLENN 70 on August 02, 2019, 07:36:31 pm ---This is why I tell people / buyers not to trust anyone when buying a classic without checking it out themselves .  You learnt the hard way ,but I hope it all goes well for you &#38;#128077;

--- End quote ---

Yeah I thought that having a 10 page report with nearly 100 photos was enough for me to outlay $55K for a car in the US. I now realise that I was incredibly lucky that body-wise it was everything the seller said it was......mechanically, not so much.
When I bought my Corvette it wasn't too difficult to convince 2 of my sons to accompany me on a trip to the US to look for a car. This time we were able to go over the car pretty well and it was everything it was supposed to be.

jiffy:
Making some progress...

Headliner is next, then front/rear windscreens.
Rear bumper is a tad too far left and the RHS rubs the passenger quarter trim. A job for another day....

mwizz:
Looking great

69candy:
I'm liking a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jiffy:
So - a while back I saw an advert for a '63 427 driveline "pulled from a wrecked galaxie in 64" and sat under a bench since.

Of course - another one of them. Yup...

So, I pulled the trigger and bought it - and unbelievably it was as described.
The shipping company 'lost it' en route, which was nice, but it eventually turned up in a warehouse in New York, so I got it in the end.

I opened the box, and there it was - a 63.5 dated 427 CO with twin carbs, T-10, long-tube cast-iron headers etc. So, I pulled the box apart and put it on a stand.

It was missing the distributor, valve covers and fuel canister, but it had the correct carbs, original fuel pump, original Autolite 'black-cross' plugs, there was no witness marks on the flywheel - so I was increasingly confident that it was actually as described, so I thought if I removed the heads, then I'd know:

So, the original head gaskets, bumper pistons and the condition of the bore suggests that it is indeed a very low mileage engine. I haven't tried to turn it over, so it can sit and wait until the Galaxie is on the road, and probably until the Mach1 is finished, then it can get looked at.
I found an internally balanced 428 crank and some nice H-beam conrods, so it'll get freshened up, compression lowered and stroked before it goes back in.

Should be able to get out of its own way after that...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version