How do i remove plate on steering column see attached image

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: How do i remove plate on steering column see attached image  (Read 1898 times)

Offline dkc

• P Plates
  • Name: Dave
  • Car: 65 Fastback
Need to replace the spring contacts near the indicator storck but can't work out how to remove the section just above it?
Have attached photo 

Offline sms777

• Worked
Two ways to remove it. The recommended way or the brutal way. The recommended way is with a steering wheel puller which you can buy at Supercheap for around $20. The brutal way is to mount your steering wheel back on it tight with the center nut on about 3-4 threads. Now...seat firmly in the drivers seat, place both of your feet under the pedals against the firewall. Grab the steering wheel with both hands at 3 o'clock and 9o'clock and slightly wiggle it side to side while pulling it hard against yourself. With any luck it will pop against the center nut so you can remove it as a unit. Good luck.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: How do i remove plate on steering column see attached image
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »
If you do it the old way ,yes make sure you have the nut on by a few threads because otherwise you might loose some teeth . I also use my thighs /legs to put pressure on the steering wheel when pulling and rocking on the wheel . You will feel and hear it pop .

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
 If you go the 'old brute way' spray a bit of WD or Penetrine on it (on the splines) and let it sit over night...,

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
Re: How do i remove plate on steering column see attached image
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 11:59:29 pm »
Just get a puller: cheap as chips and you're bound to get extra use out of it in the future...
Cheers,
Brian