Technical & General Discussion Area > Restomods

69 Convertible Project by HRTZ65

(1/17) > >>

HRTZ65:
Hi

Introducing myself and my latest project. I'm a little Mustang crazy. I own 4 Mustangs, a 65 Hertz GT350 fastback replica, 2019 Bullit, 2017 Lightening Blue GT coupe and my latest purchase 69 Convertible. I've had the 65 Hertz replica for 8 years. 

The project car is a 69 convertible. This car will be the focus of this thread. It is a Californian car that was imported to Australia 2 years ago by the guy i bought it from. It was garaged for 20 odd years. It is currently an I6 200ci 3 speed manual. Drums all round. Original colour was meadowlark yellow with deluxe white trim inside. Its build date was 13 Nov 1968 which i believe just gets this car in before the Australia ADR date of 1 January 1969.

As the car is not a valuable low volume or rare car i'm going for a Restomod build.

Plan is to do the following
302 V8 with rebuilt iron heads, holley striker EFI
AOD 4 speed transmission
8 inch diff with disc rear
Coil over disc front end (looking at RRS)
Back to metal body restoration looking at the Lexus Infra red as the paint finish
Interior i think i will go a custom job rather than TMI
Dakota Digital instruments

One outstanding item is the steering. I was originally thinking rack and pinion from RRS but the local muscle car guy says to go the Borgeson Power Steering pump. What is everyone's thoughts on this.

I want the car to drive not trailer around. For example i just did a road trip in the 65 up through the Snowy Mountains. had a great time but the engine gets hot going up hills and the drums overheat going down hills. The original steering is OK but vague and you need to really concentrate otherwise it goes off line quickly. I want the 69 to drive like a modern mustang but have the charm of a classic mustang so road trips are more comfortable.

I will post lots of photos of the car as is. The best thing is the car is very straight and has no rust (not that anyone can see yet).

I know it's not going to be cheap but hey, we only live once!

fredm666:
G'day and welcome!

it looks like an interesting project and I think you definitely need a power steering.
I don't have one on my car, but mine is a stock V8, so a power steering is not really needed at this stage. I saw the Borgeson a lot in all the parts stores.
Definitely someone more experienced than me will give you some advice.

Dwayne:
Borgeson is for LHD.

Are converting it to RHD?

mwizz:
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

HRTZ65:
Here are photos of the car before work begin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version