Under new Federal import laws after December vehicles may never get full rego

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Under new Federal import laws after December vehicles may never get full rego  (Read 11046 times)

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
What an amazing bunch of crap you guys have to put up with.

Don't you live in the country of California?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Don't you live in the country of California?

oh yeah, you have to have wear special underwear here so when you fart, it can catch the green house gas coming out of your ass, HOWEVER, they will in fact register anything here as long as you have enough money, and they couldn't care less if it has huge holes in the floors irregardless of the year, or no fenders as long as it is a vintage car, which includes the early mustangs. They also don't care how modified the engine is as long as it will pass the emissions test which is only applicable for 75 and newer vehicles.

Also, we can drive to Arizona around 3 hours away, and get a car registered there and not pay any sales tax, and the plates and tags for 1 year are only around $50.00.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 12:54:41 pm by barnett468 »

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
they will in fact register anything here as long as you have enough money, and they couldn't care less if it has huge holes in the floors irregardless of the year, or no fenders as long as it is a vintage car, which includes the early mustangs. They also don't care how modified the engine is as long as it will pass the emissions test which is only applicable for 75 and newer vehicles.

Also, we can drive to Arizona around 3 hours away, and get a car registered there and not pay any sales tax, and the plates and tags for 1 year are only around $50.00.
Love it!  :cheers:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
I bought an 88 Corvette from a guy in Cleveland which was on Historic plates, and from memory I think he told me he only had to pay a one off 20 dollar fee.
Wish we had the same system here.

Offline sms777

• Worked
We will never have the same system here. Think about it. Australia is not only a country...it is a continent also with vast distances between major cities and population less than 10% of mainland USA we simply don't have enough taxpayers to fund millions of kilometers of roads.
USA mainland has 50 states. Australia has 8 to cover the same distance of roads......     

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
What an amazing bunch of crap you guys have to put up with.

The log book thing is just you can get cheap rego  Barnett, in some states on old cars, limits how many times you can drive them. Not sure what full V8 reg is in other states but in Queensland it would be over $1000 a year. I get scammed here on my Ford Ranger, its 5 cyl turbo diesel, so because there is no 5 cylinder reg format I have to pay for a 6 cylinder.

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
Just got my rego renewal for the 67.  It's a tad over $1100.

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
Just got my rego renewal for the 67.  It's a tad over $1100.
Just got my Concessional for Frankenstang in QLD. Its gone up from $183 to $223 for the year
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline grodgers1972

• P Plates
  • 1965 Coupe - 289, 3 spd Manual Vintage Burgundy
  • Name: Geoff
  • Car: 1965 Coupe - Manual
I am a Australian Army officer in the USA. I have been driving my 65 Coupe for the last three years as a daily driver, had the asbestos removed this year, ready for shipping home. I know of at least three others that are doing the same as I am with cars returning to Australian sometime in December 2019 to February 2020.
From your post, it appears that we need to ensure that I need to have the car back in Australian before 01 Dec 19, so any further updates would be appreciated.

Geoff

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
OK Folks, lets make this a bit more interesting, this is the log book questions from the RMS as to see if they close the it or change it. only clubs can answer it as they had the idea to let owners but then changed it  NSW only on this.

LOG BOOK TRIAL REVIEW 2019
The RMS is undertaking a review of the Classic Vehicle Log Book Trial. Clubs are able to have
input into the review in two ways, through a survey and/or by participation in Focus Group
Sessions.
The survey is designed to collect feedback from RMS recognised Historic Vehicle clubs and
Classic Vehicle Scheme Approved Organisations that are participating in the Log Book Trial. Clubs
are asked to collate feedback from members and submit ONE response per club.
The objective of this survey is to identify:
1. Stakeholder experience with the use of the log book.
2. Whether stakeholders support the log book being made a permanent feature of the Historic
and Classic Vehicle Scheme.
3. Any safety risks associated with the additional road access enabled by the log book trial
and how these should be mitigated.
4. Whether there are appropriate compliance and enforcement measures in place to identify
misuse/non-compliance of the log book
Survey Questions:
1. Please provide the name of your Club
2. How would your members rate the experience with RMS through Service NSW when
obtaining or renewing a log book and responsiveness to questions/concerns relating to the
log book trial? (1-5)
3. Why did you provide this rating? What could be improved?
4. Has your club experienced additional administrative burden as a result of the log book trial?
5. Please provide further information regarding this administrative burden.
6. Has there been an increased interest in club membership since the log book trial
commenced?
7. Has your club membership grown as a result?
8. Please provide further information regarding club membership levels.
9. Is there a need to enhance eligibility and compliance of the Historic and Classic Vehicle
Log Book Trial to deter misuse?
10. What additional actions can be taken by RMS to enhance the Historic and Classic Vehicle
Log Book Trial and prevent misuse?
11. Have your members had any difficulty complying with conditions or using the log book?
12. Please provide further information regarding the difficulties experienced.
13. Has communication from RMS to update clubs on the status of the log book trial been
effective?
14. How could RMS manage this better? (i.e. email, forums, surveys, mail)
15. How easy has it been to manage the physical log book?
16. Please provide your reasons for this rating.
17. Would a digital or other option be preferred? (e.g. a mobile app)
18. Should Roads and Maritime Services make the log book trial a permanent option?
19. Why? What alternatives could be considered?
20. Please select all registration types that apply to your club:
21. If you selected other, please indicate the type of vehicle:
22. Where is your club based? (Metro is considered Newcastle to Wollongong to Katoomba)
23. Are you happy to participate in further RMS questionnaires or to be contacted further
regarding the Historical and Classic Vehicle Schemes?

Offline dead66

• Thoroughbred
Reply to Geoff, that was the last I have heard so far but I would get it here by November.Takes 8 to 10 weeks to ship so take that into account.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
I think there is a lot of misinformation flying around on this topic.  Just had a bit of a wade through the actual implementation of the new legislation (Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2018) and came across this section:

"36  Eligibility criterion—older vehicles
             (1)  A road vehicle satisfies the eligibility criterion set out in this section if the Minister is satisfied that:

(a)  the vehicle is in one of the following vehicle categories:
                              (i)  Passenger Car (MA);
                             (ii)  Forward‑control Passenger Vehicle (MB);
                            (iii)  Off‑road Passenger Vehicle (MC);
                            (iv)  Moped ‑ 2 wheels (LA);
                             (v)  Moped ‑ 3 wheels (LB);
                            (vi)  Motor cycle (LC);
                           (vii)  Motor cycle and side‑car (LD);
                          (viii)  Motor tricycle (LE);
                            (ix)  Light Goods Vehicle (NA); and

(b)  the vehicle has a relevant build date that is at least 25 years before the date of the application.
"

Based on the above, any passenger car more than 25 years old should be eligible for private importation, just as the current situation is for vehicles manufactured before 1989.  I also read somewhere that the registration requirements for such vehicles will be left in the hands of the states, again as is the case currently.

Can't see what all the fuss is about...  :shrug:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline SMH00N

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Stephen
  • Car: 70 Sportsroof Grabber pac
I think there is a lot of misinformation flying around on this topic.  Just had a bit of a wade through the actual implementation of the new legislation (Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2018) .......

I agree. I've read the legislation and it doesn't actually state rego requirements that I can see... Happy to be corrected however. As this Act replaces the current Act in full it's hard to comprehend and to see if this Act covers registration. Without spending hours I don't have dissecting it all, I think this Act covers bringing the car in and the States will determine what can and cannot be registered.
I just spoke to the NSW RMS and they advised me (Colin was the bloke if it goes to court) that the Federal Government has no say in States determining rego. So as I suspect, the new laws are dealing with the ability for people to bring in new cars that are not offered here, rather than us hoons bringing in old cars for fun.
As long as your Mustang complies with the section quoted above by BAC you then have to comply with the State you are registering it in laws.
For me and my '70 I need to have the indicators changed to the reverse lights (you must have 2 x stop/brake lights showing when in use) and VSCC certification for the seat belts.

I did find this however:
What's new
Extension of commencement of Road Vehicle Standards legislation
The Australian Government has extended the commencement date of the Road Vehicle Standards legislation to ensure that governments, manufacturers and importers have sufficient time to prepare for the transition to the new arrangements.

The Government will continue to work with all affected stakeholders to agree on and set a new commencement date, which will be no later than 1 July 2021. Further updates on matters related to the Road Vehicle Standards legislation will continue to be posted on this website.

This was off https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/rvs/index.aspx so I gather we are safe for a few years yet?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:01:00 pm by SMH00N »