New engine rebuild- Radiator, fan,shroud advice

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New engine rebuild- Radiator, fan,shroud advice  (Read 2057 times)

Offline sjsb1965

• Pony
  • I'm new here
New engine rebuild- Radiator, fan,shroud advice
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:07:39 pm »
I'm almost at the end of a full restoration and need help regarding keeping my engine to keep it cool. it will have anywhere between 300 to 320 hp with alloy heads.
My question is will a standard 3 row radiator a fan shroud and a 5 or 6 blade fan work and a 180 t.stat work ?
As stated the whole car has been painted so cutting a bigger whole in the radiator support is not what I'm out do.
Or is it possible to fit a slightly wider radiator I've measured the opening it's approx 18" wide ( 450mm) with 25mm on each side left for a slightly bigger radiator but still want to keep it looking stock(if that's possible ) to an untrained eye
Thanks in advance for all your help

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: New engine rebuild- Radiator, fan,shroud advice
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 12:52:31 am »
Is the engine broken in yet?

How far is the block bored?

If it is only .030 over or less, and you do not have a/c, a true high efficiency (high density) 3 row will cool it if you use a high flow pump like a flow kooler and high flow brass t stat from milodon and a good fan and a 13 lb cap.

Leave around 20 mm of air space in the rad.

Also, a mix of 25% to 30% anti freeze and the rest water (preferably demineralized), and 1.5 times the recommended amount of DEI radiator relief will work far better than straight 50/50 anti freeze.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:18:47 am by barnett468 »

Offline sjsb1965

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:31:20 am »
No not run in , almost finished being built
He has put in a hi flow milodon  189 t stat
Block is bored to .030 over
Also what I didn't mention is that it's got power steer (with saginaw pump) air con (putting in new sanden compressor)and it's automatic.
Will a 3 or 4 row rad from mustang parts supplies be ok ?
I went to a radiator shop and they said they can get me a 103 or 128 tube radiator but can't remember the size of the tubes in the same width as the stock one

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 08:42:22 am »
You can fit a 67 rad in its a bit wider if you dont want to go all the way to a 24"

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:43:47 am »
No not run in , almost finished being built
He has put in a hi flow milodon  189 t stat
Block is bored to .030 over
Also what I didn't mention is that it's got power steer (with saginaw pump) air con (putting in new sanden compressor)and it's automatic.
Will a 3 or 4 row rad from mustang parts supplies be ok ?
I went to a radiator shop and they said they can get me a 103 or 128 tube radiator but can't remember the size of the tubes in the same width as the stock one

stock tubes are 1/2" x 1/8". You could get a 4 row but then you should have an electric fan and there may not be enough room, however, you can mount a pusher fan to the front of the ac condenser if it will fit or possibly 2 small pushers etc.

at the very least i would use a 3 row high density rad with stock size tubes and a good mechanical fan and shroud, but i'm pretty sure you will still need to add a pusher fan to the ac condenser.

there should also be at least 1" between the ac condenser and the rad, and a little more clearance would be better.

also, a cross flow rad will cool better and you can use the passenger side outlet pump with a flex hose to connect the rad to the pump if you want.

the 67 rad shaunp mentioned in a 3 row cross flow high density big tubes will work without a pusher fan in front unless you live in darwin. i think you can mount it without adding holes to the core support by making four 1 1/2" long x 3/4" wide flat metal brackets to mount it to but shaunp knows for certain.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:52:58 am by barnett468 »