S550 Suspension

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: S550 Suspension  (Read 6909 times)

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
  • Name: Tim
S550 Suspension
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:59:55 pm »
Had the car almost 6 months and with new tyres required in the next few months have been thinkin about other modifications.

On tyres, seems Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are THE preferred purchase.

Next would be wheels or suspension.

On suspension, considering coilovers as next change.  Has anyone installed the Shockworks coilovers?  Or any other coilovers?  Cheaper option suggested was Steeda progressive springs.

Grateful advice or comment on shocks and springs.

I now see forged alloys (or carbons) are candidates after suspension.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
Re: S550 Suspension
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 04:05:15 pm »
Yes seems the michelins are the go . I just had kings low springs fitted to mine and I'm very happy . Sits around 35 mm lower all round . Does ride a bit harsher tho ,but I run my tyres  at 38 psi and not the factory 32 psi as the say ,I want them to last longer and handle better . 7,000 klms on the clock now and the tyres still look new .

Offline CDINOZ007

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Craig
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:55:21 am »
I have the Shockworks coilover set.

Ride is slightly less soft than stock, but boy the difference when throwing the car round a twisty road is astounding. Stock shocks are very bobbly. More than happy with Shockworks set.

Offline booah

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:29 pm »
I have a set of MikeMaierInc coilovers on the front, JRI internals and JRI shocks on the rear. Love em.

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:23:31 pm »
For ...007

What setting to you apply to your shocks?

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:29:27 am »
Went with Steeda progressive springs.  Lowered the car circa 25mm front and about the same at rear (though Steeda says 13 front and 15 rear).  But is 'flat' not nose high.  Clearance still good - no contact with speedhumps or tarmac on my usual daily drive.  Stance is better. Flatter in corners (as expected).  Ride not different that I can tell - no harsher.

Offline GT4951

• GT 4951
  • P Plates
  • On the learning curve
  • Name: Aubrey
  • Car: 2017 GT manual
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 08:43:25 pm »
Massively happy with the Ford Track Handling Pack, FR3M8.
2017 GT, Magnetic, manual: XForce headers and 3” exhaust * GT350 CAI & TB, Lund tuned * FP Track Handling Pack * FP Strut Tower Brace * FP Short Throw Shifter * FP GT 350 Steering Wheel * FP Gas struts * 2018 Rear Deck Lid * JL Audio amp & subwoofer * Focal Flax Component and rear speakers * BlackVue 650 front & rear * Steeda clutch spring * JLT Oil catch can * LED & HID upgrade and side markers * Window and lens tint * CQuartz paint treatment * G2G stripes * Carbon Fibre dash wrap * Front light tinted covers * TriboTEX * EPM v3.3 Rear brake sequencers * Genuine spare wheel.

Offline Blacksally1

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Bill
  • Car: FM GT Fastback
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 08:15:55 am »
I have H and R suspension, springs and shocks and 20's fitted with Dunlop Sports Maxx. Tickford have taken 25mm out of the ride height.  Ride is firm, not harsh, goes around corners like it is on rails. 265's on the front and 295's on the rear fill the guards nicely. The stance is perfect, it really turns up the muscle car look. Tickford say that they have done a lot of R and D to get the suspension suited to our roads and it is very very  good.  I must say that the Speedo is not right and indicates a faster speed than what you are actually doing. This is slightly annoying as you double guess what your speed is all the time. Probably saved my licence a couple of times though!

I have had this since the vehicle was new and the only comparison I can give is from limited test drives at the dealership in a factory GT. There is no rubbing and the ride height clears speed humps easily. Just have to watch when nose-in parking. The Mustang would benefit from  front parking sensors so usually I reverse park to avoid damaging the front splitter. I would suggest to see what deals Tickford can give you.
2017 FM GT, Tickford Build: Tune, 20' wheels,H&R Suspension, 3' exhaust, diffuser, CAI and Tickford air box with TBS.

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 12:23:48 pm »
Just received a set of Ford Performance springs from the US. Part of the Track Handling Pack.

Any suggestions on who in Brisbane (preferably North Side) can do a good job in fitting and setting it up?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 01:18:21 pm »
Sharkierulz , I would call Paul at elite automotive  ,Archerfield ph 327 42445 and tell him I sent you . Or try east coast customs at Northgate .

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 09:23:21 am »
Thanks Glenn, had the suspension fitted on Friday (at East Coast Customs), just in time for a test at Lakeside on Sunday  :smile01:. Due to traffic and other events, not much space/time for a full test, but it certainly did make a noticeable difference in handling (almost zero body roll, much reduced squatting under power and nosediving under braking) and no noticeable decrease in comfort.

Question to follow on then. Conflicting reports suggest the Aussie Mustangs (with the performance pack) already have uprated sway bars from the factory, so are they the same as the Ford Performance uprated sways available or not? That's the next thing to do for me before I start messing with a tune.

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 09:41:43 pm »
As I understand it, Australian Mustangs came standard with what is termed 'Performance Pack' in the US they already have uprated sway bars.