Hooker Headers

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Hooker Headers  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Darren Dorcich

• Worked
Hooker Headers
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:07:36 am »
Hi

I bought a set of Hooker Headers for my 1970 Boss 302 motor.  We tried installing them yesterday and there is a fitment issue.  On one side the header is up against the steering box and the other is right up against the rail.  It actually wont let us fit the header correctly as it is that hard up against it.  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so how did you sort this out?  I have checked the code on the headers and they are they correct part number for the motor and car.

Thanks

Darren

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
Re: Hooker Headers
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:51:01 am »
Hi

I bought a set of Hooker Headers for my 1970 Boss 302 motor.  We tried installing them yesterday and there is a fitment issue.  On one side the header is up against the steering box and the other is right up against the rail.  It actually wont let us fit the header correctly as it is that hard up against it.  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so how did you sort this out?  I have checked the code on the headers and they are they correct part number for the motor and car.

Thanks

Darren

what is the part number?

Offline Darren Dorcich

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 09:52:31 am »
Part Number is 6209HKR

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 10:13:30 am »
LHD presumably? Engine mounts in good shape?

Offline Darren Dorcich

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:14:48 am »
LHD presumably? Engine mounts in good shape?

Yes LHD and engine mounts are brand new.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 03:49:17 pm »
Talk to Seany-boy (you've met him) about the challenges with Hooker Headers.

Suffice to say he's pulled them out again. NFG. In fact, maybe you should try his 351C headers on your B2?
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 08:17:49 pm »
Darren, this was my latest post on the topic- https://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,33697.0.html
then I pulled them and skinned the knuckles again installing my original manifolds. Folks on this forum told me not to bother but I decided to try them. What a heap of sh@t. I have read other posts on other forums about the challenge of trying to fit Hookers to 351C and I sadly confirmed they were correct.
It may be that the 302 fit is just as challenging. From my reading, everyone ends up dinging the headers to miss steering box, idler arm, clutch etc. Good news it apparently it makes no difference to performance.
the Headers were exactly the right length to hit on the chassis connecting to the crossmember - 2 inches shorter or longer would have been much better- it is almost as though Hooker decided to make them the most difficult fitment possible. In the end the driver side was simply too low for my liking no matter what modification I contemplated.

If it is an option then return them and get some different ones. Read quite a lot of good comments about http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Mustang1.htm
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:20:43 pm by seany-boy »

Offline Daz 67GTA

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 11:33:51 am »
Good old Hooker headers....NOT.
Had the same issue with my '67 when I swapped a 351C into it...no amount of "slight bashing" would make them fit and not hit the body or Pitman Arm..after pulling the motor 8 times to do mods to the headers I gave up.
Ended up getting refund for half the cost of the Headers (as I didn't want to pay for postage back to US).  Installed Patriot Headers.....fitted perfectly...first time...and give me back the clearance under the car.
Daz
'67 GTA Coupe
Mick Webb 351C
C10 w/2700 Hi-stall
Strange 9" w/Eaton Truetrac

Offline aussie trev

• Worked
  • you must have toys
  • Name: trevor
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 08:12:56 am »
So Darren, how did you go fixing the hooker headers.

Offline Darren Dorcich

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 05:28:22 pm »
So Darren, how did you go fixing the hooker headers.

No good.  I contacted Hooker and they were no help.  Basically told me they should fit and they clearly dont.  I have gone back to the original manifolds.

Offline Edz

• Worked
    • Checkout my car builds
  • Car: 66 Convertible V8 AODE
Hedman rather than Hooker Headers
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 01:44:47 pm »
No good.  I contacted Hooker and they were no help.  Basically told me they should fit and they clearly dont.  I have gone back to the original manifolds.
After reading the bad reviews on Hooker headers I bought Hedman mid-length heavy wall headers from the US for my 351W into a 66. They guaranteed they would fit and they 'sort of' fitted. Had to dent them around the front of the tower as they hit both sides and grind a bit off the tab on the block on the drivers side but no major clearance issues around the steering, starter or chassis rails. I'm fairly happy with them. Bugger to get in and out, have to lift the motor on the side you want to put in or take out and bolts are fiddly and need to be done in a certain order; had to make a 45 degree thin open end spanner for no 6 bolt on the drivers side. The passenger side has to go in first and come out last.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re: Hedman rather than Hooker Headers
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 01:50:11 pm »
After reading the bad reviews on Hooker headers I bought Hedman mid-length heavy wall headers from the US for my 351W into a 66. They guaranteed they would fit and they 'sort of' fitted. Had to dent them around the front of the tower as they hit both sides and grind a bit off the tab on the block on the drivers side but no major clearance issues around the steering, starter or chassis rails. I'm fairly happy with them. Bugger to get in and out, have to lift the motor on the side you want to put in or take out and bolts are fiddly and need to be done in a certain order; had to make a 45 degree thin open end spanner for no 6 bolt on the drivers side. The passenger side has to go in first and come out last.

To make them fit you must have 66 + engine mounts you can not use 65

Offline Edz

• Worked
    • Checkout my car builds
  • Car: 66 Convertible V8 AODE
Re: Hedman rather than Hooker Headers
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 02:44:52 pm »
To make them fit you must have 66 + engine mounts you can not use 65
66 convertible with brand new 66 engine mounts. Still hit shock towers, had to dent 10mm in on each side on headers
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 04:17:47 pm »
No help to you now but you can get the arp 12 point header bolts with a 5/16 head. Allows you to get a ring spanner on them and gives you twice the amount of angles to get the spanner on.