Proposed EFI Fuel Pump for Holley Sniper EFI

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Proposed EFI Fuel Pump for Holley Sniper EFI  (Read 3966 times)

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Proposed EFI Fuel Pump for Holley Sniper EFI
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:45:44 am »
Aftermarket EFI in-tank fuel pumps such as from Holley, cost around $700. I have found the EFI in tank fuel pump module for a NL 5L Fairlane. I assume that if this can supply supply fuel to the Fairlane 5.0L, it would be able to supply the correct fuel to my 289W with the Holley Sniper EFI. These modules are no more than $150 so if they can do the job, why pay $700. The problem is that there is not much info on supply rate & pressure for OEM fuel pumps so I am asking if my assumption is not off the mark. Cheers Daz

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
Re: Proposed EFI Fuel Pump for Holley Sniper EFI
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:20:57 am »
Thanks Dwayne.
I assume the BA Falcon unit is the one to use? Have you installed one of these units? Cheers Daz

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:49:46 am »
Yup use the BA assembly with the mounting kit linked. You can replace the fuel pump supplied in the hanger kits with a walbro 255, which is a cheap and easy swap for peace of mind. I would be wary of the fuel pump in the kit if it's not a genuine oem ford product.

I was going to use a BA/BF fuel pump hanger prior to my current Tanks Inc setup. The length is pretty much perfect for a 69 20 gallon tank, as the hanger will hit the bottom of the tank and slightly compress like it's meant to. I'm pretty sure one of the boys has put one in an early tank, and it fits also, but the assembly is compressed a fair bit more.
A couple guys have installed them on the mustangtech website.

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:52:31 am »
I was going to install one, then I found out SA rules don't allow any fuel lines at all in the trunk unless it is completely sealed off from the cabin.

Instead, I'm now welding a rear sump onto the (new) tank and running an external pump just like ShaunP's:

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 10:00:22 am »
You SA boys  :nopity:

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 10:02:12 am »
At least we can finally change the car's colour now   :thud:

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 10:46:56 am »
I actually like this setup. It keeps the fuel pump in the fuel, which keeps it cool and quiet, easy to work with and neat. Just make a bolt on cover and you'd tick all the boxes. I'll do something like this in the future, just because of how neat it is.

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:12:55 pm »
Thanks.
Husky, when you say "the hanger will hit the bottom of the tank and slightly compress like it's meant to", does the lower section move up & down along the the 2 support rods? Cheers Daz

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 01:15:20 pm »
Thanks.
Husky, when you say "the hanger will hit the bottom of the tank and slightly compress like it's meant to", does the lower section move up & down along the the 2 support rods? Cheers Daz

Yes

Offline 1965muzzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 01:51:27 pm »
Husky, what's the reason for this? is it to ensure the pump suction is as close to the bottom of the tank as possible? Does the material fuel filter get pressed hard against the tank bottom?  Do I keep & connect the EFI pumps tank level sender unit or stay with the original? Just trying to get a handle on the concept & understand how this works. Cheers Daz

Offline Juanball mustang

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 05:39:10 pm »
Often wondered if the XG or XH falcon ute fuel tank pump and mounting hole could be used . Steel tank so could be welded onto a 69 tank . Haven't seen one cheap enough at a swap meet to buy and do the depth measurements. Like that trapdoor setup . Fuel lines exposed in the boot , sorry trunk , would be a safety issue. 

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 06:36:17 pm »
You can buy the mount holes to weld in

Offline cap70

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 09:54:39 pm »
I brought this complete tank for mine
https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/64-68-mustang-stealth-200-tank/
Haven't got around to fitting it yet.

Offline Juanball mustang

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 10:12:52 pm »
Yeah nice bit of kit. The ute tank idea was mainly because the pump mounting area is recessed and has rebates for the fuel lines so might look a bit neater than the other flange setup you can buy.  And cheaper.
Anyone got any clues about efi using a non return line setup?

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 10:56:25 pm »
Husky, what's the reason for this? is it to ensure the pump suction is as close to the bottom of the tank as possible? Does the material fuel filter get pressed hard against the tank bottom?  Do I keep & connect the EFI pumps tank level sender unit or stay with the original? Just trying to get a handle on the concept & understand how this works. Cheers Daz

Yes pretty much. No the fuel filter itself will be inside the module. The module itself acts as a swirl pot, which is why it's handy. The return line dumps fuel into the module also, which means even if the level of the fuel in the tank goes below the height of the module, it will always have fuel in it due to the return line dumping fuel directly into it. You can use the sender supplied IF you have an aftermarket fuel gauge that you can program to work with any sender. Otherwise, you can use the stock one and just plug the barbed fuel outlet.

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:45 pm »
Yeah nice bit of kit. The ute tank idea was mainly because the pump mounting area is recessed and has rebates for the fuel lines so might look a bit neater than the other flange setup you can buy.  And cheaper.
Anyone got any clues about efi using a non return line setup?

So a 'returnless' fuel system isn't actually return less as such. It more means that the regulator is not in the engine bay, and there is only one line going to the engine bay.
On some vehicles you have the fuel filter which also acts as a regulator, and has a an extra port to hook a return line to. This can be mounted close to the fuel tank, so you only have a short return line.
Other cars have the regulator in the tank as part of the fuel pump assembly. This dumps the excess fuel straight into the tank. I believe it's an emissions thing due to not heating up fuel for the sake of it and creating more vapor, but I'm not positive on that.

Either way we are lucky on our cars, 69-70 fuel lines fit 64-68 cars super easy, and you only have to take your rear wheel off to install it. And they are 3/8th, and they are cheap and durable. I installed two, one for feed and one for return. And unlike the early models, it runs no where near the exhaust or driveshaft now. Start and end points are exactly the same positionhowever.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:03:19 pm by Husky65 »

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 01:12:39 pm »
I'm using a C5 Corvette fuel filter which is also the pressure regulator and return,  I have the FiTech G Surge swirl pot with the pump in it, and 69 fuel line on my 67 coupĂ©.  I'm just using an el cheapo lift pump to feed the swirl pot as the return from the filter/regulator goes to the swirl pot.

This setup flows enough to feed more than 300Kw on multiple dyno runs.