Common Spare Parts from the USA

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Common Spare Parts from the USA  (Read 6358 times)

Offline grodgers1972

• P Plates
  • 1965 Coupe - 289, 3 spd Manual Vintage Burgundy
  • Name: Geoff
  • Car: 1965 Coupe - Manual
Common Spare Parts from the USA
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:01:47 am »
Hi all,
I am interested to hear your advice on what parts to stock up on from the USA. I am currently in Virginia for another 8 months and driving my 65 Coupe daily...My plan was to fix what needs fixing (done) and then stock up on some parts that otherwise may be harder/cheaper to obtain back home in Australia....I was thinking about the following parts:

Remanufactured Carby
Carby gasket kit
Turn Signal switch
Ball joints
control arms

Thanks for reading and providing input

Geoff

Geoff

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Common Spare Parts from the USA
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:14:39 am »
Anything big and bulky that would cost you a lot in freight to Australia, or stuff that's already looking pretty worn on your car.

I'm thinking a heidts pro-g rear suspension kit, one piece hood lining ... and that's just what I want you to chuck in your container for me  :grin:

Offline bigmal

• Worked
  • A never ending project
  • Name: Mal
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 11:22:45 am »
I have a spreadsheet where I list all the parts I need and the price in Australia. In the next column is the price in the US converted to AUD. Some items are very similar prices in Australia so I by at home.
I'm currently in St Louis and have an extra bag for the parts I've ordered. The most expensive is a Retro Sound Long Beach radio. $349 from CJ Pony parts. Plus a few parts I haven't been able to get in Aus.
69 Mach 1

Offline HAMBURGLAR

• Worked
  • I NEED MORE MONEY
  • Name: mark
  • Car: 66 A code fastback 6R09A
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 03:04:38 pm »
Just remember that you should declare any parts or gifts over $900 in value. I just come home from the states and didn't declare all my f100 parts I bought from NPD to the value of $2000 US in my bag. Just clean forgot about them. Makes you think do they even check for these items. They pulled my wifes bag apart because she had a few bottles of bath salts , then left a document in there to say they had inspected her bag. Maybe I just got lucky , but hey I saved a heap on GST and duty and freight ! :elefant:
66 A code fastback 289w , t5 , 3.8truetrak.
56 F100 Deluxe custom cab. Major frame off resto. 347w , AOD , Custom 9inch , 3.7 powertrax , IFS , Parallel 4 link rear. Airbags , Low enough to kill ants. Still in progress.

Offline bigmal

• Worked
  • A never ending project
  • Name: Mal
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:26:49 am »
Just remember that you should declare any parts or gifts over $900 in value. I just come home from the states and didn't declare all my f100 parts I bought from NPD to the value of $2000 US in my bag. Just clean forgot about them. Makes you think do they even check for these items. They pulled my wifes bag apart because she had a few bottles of bath salts , then left a document in there to say they had inspected her bag. Maybe I just got lucky , but hey I saved a heap on GST and duty and freight ! :elefant:

Good point. I will be below the $900 so OK. A few years back I was ferrying an aircraft from Kathmandu to Sydney. I had two bottles of spirits in an overhead locker I hadn't declared and got them confiscated for not declaring them. I wouldn't want my parts confiscated.
69 Mach 1