What options for 14" tyres these days?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: What options for 14" tyres these days?  (Read 8350 times)

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
What options for 14" tyres these days?
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:17:53 pm »
The very old 205/70R14 tyres on my currently laid-up '67 FB with 14"x7" alloys are well past any use-by date and must be replaced. But not many options left these days in wide 14" are there? Even BFGoodrich T/A radials seem to be limited in availability, I was thinking a set of 195/70 on front and say 215/60 on back to better fill the rear wheel arches but not sure if I will be able to even get any in Brisbane.
I could bite the bullet and buy new alloys but there's hardly anything in 16" so I'd have to go to 15", little change visually from 14" but at least there are some tyre choices, although how much longer for I do wonder.
I like the Torq-thrust design, similar looking to the Cheviot 5-spoke I currently have. I see a couple of suppliers on eBay namely BCI and Showster with sets of 7" & mixed sets of 7" & 8" x 15 alloys in the region of $700-800. Are they American-made or Chinese made, and what sort of quality are they? Has anybody here used them?

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: What options for 14" tyres these days?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:30:48 pm »
Nearly all alloy and steel wheels are Chinese made.

The quality is good as long as you avoid OEM replica wheels (often poor quality alloy to cut costs).

We have independent quality inspectors at each factory we use, plus random testing once they arrive. They are often made in the same factories as OEM and the biggest brands out there.

Offline Cadd

• Thoroughbred
  • 06 GT - 71 Mach 1 - 88 Foxbody GT - 17 Ecoboost
  • Name: Chris
  • Car: 71 Mach 1 + 06 GT
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:25 pm »
There are some good 14 inch tyres still around (ebay gumtree and most tyre dealers ) I looked for myself recently and found a fair few in 215/60-225/60-235/60 and there are some good brands too
Toyo Coopers yokohama sumitomo even Nexen make them
I got the toyo 225 for the rear (wish I went bigger) and they are fine.
Cadd

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 09:19:16 pm »
Nearly all alloy and steel wheels are Chinese made.

The quality is good as long as you avoid OEM replica wheels (often poor quality alloy to cut costs).

We have independent quality inspectors at each factory we use, plus random testing once they arrive. They are often made in the same factories as OEM and the biggest brands out there.

I used to import alloy wheels from Taiwan to supply Ford and Holden in
Australia. I visited the factory in Taichung many times. That was 15 years ago and the quality will have only got better. There are some magnificent factories over there making high quality products.
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 09:36:28 pm »
Cadd, were your new tyres for your '68? Would you really go much bigger than 225 on the rear? (Thinking light car, limited traction...)
I think what scares me when I look online at tyre retailers and eBay vendors are numerous tyre brands I've never even heard of.
But thanks for the input, I'll dig around.
If I go for 15" then the Showster TorqThrust II or US Mags U102 take my fancy..... a set of 4 for around $800 seems very reasonable.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:44:20 pm »
When I owned my 68 GT fastback I ran 215/65 x15 front on 7 inch rims  and 255/60 x15 rear ,looked great and it was lowered 2 inches all round and no problems and I didn't touch the guards . Magnum 500 rims .  What ever you buy stay old school looking wheels .  If your happy with 14s you will find the right tyre .

Online fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:55:26 pm »
The very old 205/70R14 tyres on my currently laid-up '67 FB with 14"x7" alloys are well past any use-by date and must be replaced. But not many options left these days in wide 14" are there? Even BFGoodrich T/A radials seem to be limited in availability, I was thinking a set of 195/70 on front and say 215/60 on back to better fill the rear wheel arches but not sure if I will be able to even get any in Brisbane.
I could bite the bullet and buy new alloys but there's hardly anything in 16" so I'd have to go to 15", little change visually from 14" but at least there are some tyre choices, although how much longer for I do wonder.
I like the Torq-thrust design, similar looking to the Cheviot 5-spoke I currently have. I see a couple of suppliers on eBay namely BCI and Showster with sets of 7" & mixed sets of 7" & 8" x 15 alloys in the region of $700-800. Are they American-made or Chinese made, and what sort of quality are they? Has anybody here used them?

on my standard 14in rims I have P205/75 Maxxis (MA-1) with whitewall. Probably not the best tyres ever but they do the job on a daily driver car.
https://maxxistyres.com.au/product/ma1-ma1-whitewall/
fred

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
  • Name: jimmy hatziv
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 03:44:10 pm »
What nobody mentioned Radial T/A they look great limited traction on dry, no traction on wet, many sizes available no traction in the wet but they look great!!!!!!!!

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 03:46:47 pm »
Great look.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 04:41:15 pm »
Well I agree there, they do look great!
What nobody mentioned Radial T/A they look great limited traction on dry, no traction on wet,
Yes that's been mentioned before on this forum which puts me off the T/A and compounds my uncertainties.
The only reason for considering 15" is better availability of tyres compared to 14", otherwise I wouldn't change just for 1"; a 16" would be a more worthwhile upgrade but strangely none of these Torq Thrusts etc come in 16", dunno why.
Am digging around now to find out more about these other tyre brands which I in many cases have never heard of.
Your input and wisdom is appreciated, I've been agonizing over this for such a long time.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:51 pm »
Last year in parts for sale section Ausfox had brand new Torque thruster 16 x 7 and 16 x 8 for sale

His last post said one set still for sale. Take a look.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 04:52:32 pm »
What nobody mentioned Radial T/A they look great limited traction on dry, no traction on wet, many sizes available no traction in the wet but they look great!!!!!!!!

Traction for drag racers isn't it.

Offline J.hatzivalsamis

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 04:55:28 pm »
Nice.

Offline Cadd

• Thoroughbred
  • 06 GT - 71 Mach 1 - 88 Foxbody GT - 17 Ecoboost
  • Name: Chris
  • Car: 71 Mach 1 + 06 GT
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 05:45:30 pm »
68 had 7 inch rims 215 60 14 fronts (toyo's) 235 -60- 14 rears (sumitomos) damn nice tyre too and never even looked close to touching rear guards the 225's are on my 71and look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too skinny  :grin: so will get bigger next tyre change.
Dont be afraid of different tyre brands most are made in the same factories with the same moulds just SLIGHTLY different compounds and (I know as friend supplies heaters to them) so if you like them do the research and they look good go for it i say.
Cadd