New to Importing, Please Help

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New to Importing, Please Help  (Read 37182 times)

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
Re: New to Importing, Please Help
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2017, 07:50:11 am »
The happiest car owners are the ones who buy the cars they like, not the cars they expect to make money on. 

It's a car ffs, although I do totally understand the appeal of making money on a car, it's not my motivation for owning one. I expect their value to die in the arse when electric cars take over so those that want to make money should sell before that happens.

s

Why would the value of classic cars drop with the introduction of electric vehicles? I am interested in your logic.
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2017, 10:46:04 am »
The happiest car owners are the ones who buy the cars they like, not the cars they expect to make money on. 

I probably didn't make myself clear. I always loved the shape of the 67 - 68 Fastbacks, but instead of buying a base model car for less momey, I opted to keep looking until I found a factory GT S code.
This allowed me to enjoy a car that I always wanted for 5 years and sell it for $18K more than I paid for it.
I also don't see classic cars becoming cheaper with more electric cars coming onto our roads unless somehow Sarah Hanson-Young becomes Prime Minister who then bans all non electric vehicles from our roads.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2017, 11:39:55 am »
Why would the value of classic cars drop with the introduction of electric vehicles? I am interested in your logic.

Look at the prices of vintage cars these days, the ones with wooden wheels.

I think that the ultra rare models, race specials, cars with provenance will still hold some value but not as much. Our generation will get older and look at what cars the kids are favouring today, those will be the models most in demand in the future.

When electric motors take over I suspect petrol will become more expensive as petrol stations close down and many will restomod their old cars with electric engines. It's all about moving with the times.

s

Offline Bucks

• Worked
  • Name: Dave
  • Car: 66 Fastback 289 4 speed
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2017, 03:43:11 pm »
I wouldn't care if petrol was $10 a litre i would still find the money to fill up the 289 before i could ever drive an electric car as a classic.
bit like cigarettes, people will still pay $200 dollars a carton if they enjoy a smoke.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2017, 03:46:24 pm »
I wouldn't care if petrol was $10 a litre i would still find the money to fill up the 289 before i could ever drive an electric car as a classic, bit like cigarettes, people will still pay $200 dollars a carton if they enjoy a smoke.

Yeah true but you are one of the rare ones.  After seeing this Mustang I wouldn't say no to throwing in an electric motor if it performed like this. Mine doesn't have original engine, it's a C code so I'm not that precious about originality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwIsKC7ROQ

s
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:49:27 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »
Yeah true but you are one of the rare ones.  After seeing this Mustang I wouldn't say no to throwing in an electric motor if it performed like this. Mine doesn't have original engine, it's a C code so I'm not that precious about originality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwIsKC7ROQ

s

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1504-this-electric-1968-ford-mustang-kicks-out-a-shocking-800-hp/
fred

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2017, 08:21:25 pm »
All the above comments are sensible advice to the OP but the strand is getting off track. The OP is wanting to get into the Mustang scene for the first time but limiting himself to $25K or less which as a budget makes his options very constricted, and, not wishing to be rude, but I think it's unrealistic. The simple reality is that the cheaper the car one finds the more $$$ one is going to have to throw at it subsequently, probably sooner than later; that coupe he posted a link to is a good example as it needs a whole lot done up front. It makes better financial sense to up the budget and buy a good condition sound driving car in the first place. Personally I'd be off to the bank for a small loan of a few $Ks more and taking a serious look at that '68 coupe for sale by one of the forum members on here.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:30:52 pm by 67FBGT »

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2017, 08:46:19 pm »
Personally I'd be off to the bank for a small loan of a few $Ks more and taking a serious look at that '68 coupe for sale by one of the forum members on here.

Think that one got sold...
Cheers,
Brian

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2017, 09:31:42 pm »
The OP is wanting to get into the Mustang scene for the first time but limiting himself to $25K or less which as a budget makes his options very constricted, and, not wishing to be rude, but I think it's unrealistic.

How about one of the early 70's Mustangs (71-73)? I think there'd be better bang for buck with those or even a 6 cylinder, those tend to be cheaper too.

s
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:06:14 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:21 pm »
On carsales there is a ‘72 mustang at $21000 (QLD) and a ‘66 mustang at $25000 (WA)
fred

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2017, 11:24:41 pm »
On carsales there is a ‘72 mustang at $21000 (QLD)

I'd rather that 72 over the OP any day.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1972/SSE-AD-4862167/?Cr=9

For a few extra grand there's this which also presents much better than the OP:

Good luck with bargaining him down to $25k

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1969/SSE-AD-4738010/?Cr=26

I'd rather set a 30k budget and try bargaining down a few advertised at just over.

If you're patient something much better than the OP will come up.

s
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:27:41 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Tim
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2017, 12:29:52 am »
All the above comments are sensible advice to the OP but the strand is getting off track. The OP is wanting to get into the Mustang scene for the first time but limiting himself to $25K or less which as a budget makes his options very constricted, and, not wishing to be rude, but I think it's unrealistic. The simple reality is that the cheaper the car one finds the more $$$ one is going to have to throw at it subsequently, probably sooner than later; that coupe he posted a link to is a good example as it needs a whole lot done up front. It makes better financial sense to up the budget and buy a good condition sound driving car in the first place. Personally I'd be off to the bank for a small loan of a few $Ks more and taking a serious look at that '68 coupe for sale by one of the forum members on here.

Thanks for all the advice despite how off topic some of it was. Yeah it's unrealistic for right now, but like was said very early I am not gonna rush into it unless it's a nice car that someone is urgently getting rid of. My budget will increase over time as I can save more and more. I don't want or need to take any money from a bank, as the budget will increase anyway.

Also worth noting, I am not looking for the absolute cleanest example and don't plan to take it to shows etc. This car is very much more of a learning experience hence the low budget. I have worked on cars for a while now and just want an experience on an older car to see how it stacks up with the newer ones.

Daily driver that I can spend money on over time to make it look pretty. Incorporating the skills I already to learn new ones. That's kinda the idea.

I was looking at the 70+ but something about the roof going into the rear and the rear in general I don't like. I understand that this means limiting my options even more but it's like a bunch of you said, the most popular are the 64-68s. I believe StephenSLR said it best

s

Thanks again for the advice everyone (:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:35 am »
Also worth noting, I am not looking for the absolute cleanest example and don't plan to take it to shows etc.

Just to let you know, not all shows are about the 'cleanest example'. Many are just get-togethers and you often get 'survivors' showing up. 

My car's not a daily driver and I prefer meets and cruises to get the blood flowing. They're informal, you don't have to stick around long, you get invaluable advice from others just like you do here and it's easier to absorb when they're pointing to the parts while telling you what they did, etc.

s

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2017, 09:29:50 am »
Just wait and keep looking as one will turn up .

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2017, 10:34:18 am »
Just to let you know, not all shows are about the 'cleanest example'. Many are just get-togethers and you often get 'survivors' showing up. 

My car's not a daily driver and I prefer meets and cruises to get the blood flowing. They're informal, you don't have to stick around long, you get invaluable advice from others just like you do here and it's easier to absorb when they're pointing to the parts while telling you what they did, etc.

s

Oh well I meant like formal car shows. Car meets happen all the time where I am and I would probably take a mustang there anyday due to the the lack of them in this city.
Yeah very true!

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:23 am »
Well to kinda reboot this thread a bit how about this

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1966/SSE-AD-5163292/?Cr=19

I just kinda saw it when considering what car I was actually gonna buy. Over Christmas however I secured myself a great job working for the government which means I will have to buy a car for daily transport making my decision a bit of a rushed one. This one looks a fair bit more tidy than the last one. The only thing that stands out is the hood ornament I have never seen and the exhaust mounted like that. Thoughts? (:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2018, 12:35:00 am »
This one looks a fair bit more tidy than the last one. The only thing that stands out is the hood ornament I have never seen and the exhaust mounted like that. Thoughts? (:

- Hood ornament is cheesy (personal taste)
- Aftermarket front grille
- Don't like the chrome/stainless trim at the rear painted over (personal taste)
- Engine block is painted orange/red (personal taste)
- Car may have been lowered (King springs box in trunk pic)
- Front bumper doesn't appear to be mounted straight/square (could just be camera distortion)
- LHS trunk shut line is not great
- Seat inserts look dodgy
- Slight warp in dash pad on driver's side
- Shifter obviously isn't original
- Would guess floors have been replaced at some stage as they look too new/clean
- LHS front frame rail looks pretty beat up
- Lots of dents in the transmission pan
- Not sure what that red cable is running along the LHS of the transmission tunnel
- Obviously a 302 is not the original engine in a '66

Hard to tell the condition of the paint from the photos but if the seller is volunteering that it's not showroom then probably pretty ordinary (looks like an issue on LHS C pillar).  Looks to be more solid than that '69 coupe but hard to tell how good just from those pics.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:46:28 am by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2018, 12:46:48 am »
Well lowering isn't too much of an issue. He does claim it has shocks and a B&M shifter. Mmm I have had bad experiences with engine swapped cars in the past.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2018, 12:50:22 am »
Lowering by itself is not necessarily an issue - just something to be aware of if you have the car inspected to make sure it's been done right. 

Engine swap from a 289 to a 302 isn't a big deal unless you're keen on an original drivetrain.  The paint colour on the engine block would have to go back to Ford blue though if I was buying it.  :thumb:
Cheers,
Brian

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2018, 12:56:01 am »
Yeah I wanted to get it inspected anyway before I commit heavy on it.

Well again, unless it's done incorrectly. And yeah dw it would if I buy it

Offline dolsonlelan

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Lelan Dolson
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2020, 02:06:35 pm »
The regulations for importing used and new foreign cars, motorcycles, scooters and other non-commercial vehicles into Australia are quite strict. Importing a non-commercial vehicle can be a costly affair because of the heavy customs duties imposed by the central government. They must also be tested for compliance with the government’s requirements. You might want to check ACC customs clearance agents in Brisbane to help you with your shipment.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 07:22:17 am by dolsonlelan »

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2020, 12:37:23 pm »
yup - no stress other than expect to be slugged a little more "just 'cos"
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)