New to Importing, Please Help

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New to Importing, Please Help  (Read 37190 times)

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Tim
New to Importing, Please Help
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:51:21 pm »
Hey so I am looking at importing a Mustang to AUS from the US and I am currently looking at going with "American Muscle Cars" (http://www.americanmusclecars.com.au/).
So as a complete first timer I would not say no to some guidance.
First, is that service safe to use? I have heard about dodgy people doing this stuff and would like to avoid it if I could. If you have any suggestions of trusted places or people that do this
stuff let me know please! (:
Second, how would the pricing compare to just buying what is already on the Australian car market? Cause I see this rusted out shells on classifieds here and people are asking, and getting
heaps of money for them. At this stage I am looking in the realm of $25,000 AUD for the car to my door, is this high or low as far as averages go?
Finally, what kinda of trouble should I expect when it comes time to get a roadworthy and register it, or is that process different?

Cheers,
JonRules12

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
  • Name: Brian
  • Car: '71 M code auto
Re: New to Importing, Please Help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:39:19 pm »
Hi Tim and welcome!  :hi:

You have asked quite a few questions there and the answers to some of them will depend on the year and model of Mustang you are looking to buy.  With your budget, I would expect you are after a coupe rather than a fastback and  probably not a highly optioned one with show quality paint and interior.

There are many pitfalls in importing a car from the US, regardless of whether you are doing it yourself or having an agent handle it all for you.  I have no personal experience with American Muscle Cars neither have I heard anything good or bad said about them so you'll have to wait for others to comment.

Other possibilities for you to consider are Shermatt (a US car finding business run by an expat Aussie) or to contact barnett468 (an active forum member here based in the US who has been known to sell a Mustang or two) to see if he has any prospects on the books at the moment.

Good luck!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:43:20 pm by BAC »
Cheers,
Brian

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:01 pm »
For a good coupe ,rust free and is  a good car it will cost around  $13-$15,000 US or more   = about  $18,000 - $20,000 Australian dollars or more . That's before any other costs and there are plenty of those and freight on top . Closer to $30 grand  Aust  I would say ,then on road costs and you own it and haven't even seen it ,touched it ,driven it . $25k Australian just doesn't work anymore for a good classic mustang at a landed price . Buy one hear is my advice .

Offline 69candy

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:47:38 pm »
I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I searched and ended up at AMC talking to Graham. He made the whole thing painless and kept me informed through the whole process. He was prob a bit dearer than some of the others but it was one price!! No hidden extra's. Bit daunting handing over cash to somebody you don't know, but have no problem recommending AMC. Gave him the name and number of the guy in the USA He picked the car up and paid for it. Next  call was when it was leaving the USA, next one was for the GST payment, and then a call to come to Adelaide to pick up my car!!. He also bought in all my parts that I needed. Have been using him over the last 8 years to bring motorbikes etc in with no problems. Totally recommend him and his crew. I will declare we have become friends with him over the years, but that was purely a bonus from our dealings. This is my personal Experience With American Muscle Cars. ( Pity he is a mopar guy ) LOL PS His containers are Asbestos free when they come into Australia now as he has it organized in the USA

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:49:14 pm »
Hey, and thank you!

Yeah it will most likely be a 1966 coupe. Nothing special, inside and out most likely.

Alright! I will see what happens in the near future and if I get any good leads on the reliability of different services.

Thanks for the help, man!

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:50:35 pm »
I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I searched and ended up at AMC talking to Graham. He made the whole thing painless and kept me informed through the whole process. He was prob a bit dearer than some of the others but it was one price!! No hidden extra's. Bit daunting handing over cash to somebody you don't know, but have no problem recommending AMC. Gave him the name and number of the guy in the USA He picked the car up and paid for it. Next  call was when it was leaving the USA, next one was for the GST payment, and then a call to come to Adelaide to pick up my car!!. He also bought in all my parts that I needed. Have been using him over the last 8 years to bring motorbikes etc in with no problems. Totally recommend him and his crew. I will declare we have become friends with him over the years, but that was purely a bonus from our dealings. This is my personal Experience With American Muscle Cars. ( Pity he is a mopar guy ) LOL PS His containers are Asbestos free when they come into Australia now as he has it organized in the USA

Oh really? That is great news, I will probably give him a try then! (: Thank you for your recommendation man!

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:58:01 pm »
Maybe a good idea to have a read though this first. 'Massive Asbestos Problem Brewing'
Just based on not knowing where the rules are from state to state in regards to this problem, I would be inclined to look in Australia for a decent car, even if you have to pay a bit more for a decent one.

Offline mcarnage59

• Worked
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 65 Convertible Honey Gold
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 09:38:20 pm »
Hey Tim,

Welcome to the forum, you will find many knowledgeable people on here that will be of enormous assistance. I am certainly no expert but for your budget I would be having a very solid look at what’s available in Australia. Sure there’s got to be some excitement and intrigue in importing your own car but there is also an opportunity to take advantage of the $$ someone local has put into a car that was previously imported and restored in oz. When I purchased my car most told me that general resto work in oz is of a higher standard than the US. With the added bonus that you are probably only a cheap airfare away from inspecting the potential purchase yourself. Many local cars are known to members of this forum and most will provide candid opinions so the risk of purchase becomes much less.
Anyway Just my thoughts, good luck whichever way you go. There are no doubt many success stories from importing as well. Guys like Glenn70, BAC and 69candy have heaps of experience and are a great resource.
Cheers
Always dreamed I'd have one!

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:58:13 pm »
I have owned mustangs since 1981 and imported plenty since 1988 , and plenty of other cars from the USA . I have been to the USA plenty of times on buying trips , with my mates and the way things have gone this year with new laws and the Aussie dollar around 76 cents at best and even lower when you buy it , and the prices of classic mustangs in the USA ,I would be having a real good look here 1 st .  Ask questions on here and we will answer them the best we can for you . By the way welcome to the forum . :thumb:

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 10:01:49 pm »
I have owned mustangs since 1981 and imported plenty since 1988 , and plenty of other cars from the USA . I have been to the USA plenty of times on buying trips , with my mates and the way things have gone this year with new laws and the Aussie dollar around 76 cents at best and even lower when you buy it , and the prices of classic mustangs in the USA ,I would be having a real good look here 1 st .  Ask questions on here and we will answer them the best we can for you . By the way welcome to the forum . :thumb:
Hey Tim,

Welcome to the forum, you will find many knowledgeable people on here that will be of enormous assistance. I am certainly no expert but for your budget I would be having a very solid look at what’s available in Australia. Sure there’s got to be some excitement and intrigue in importing your own car but there is also an opportunity to take advantage of the $$ someone local has put into a car that was previously imported and restored in oz. When I purchased my car most told me that general resto work in oz is of a higher standard than the US. With the added bonus that you are probably only a cheap airfare away from inspecting the potential purchase yourself. Many local cars are known to members of this forum and most will provide candid opinions so the risk of purchase becomes much less.
Anyway Just my thoughts, good luck whichever way you go. There are no doubt many success stories from importing as well. Guys like Glenn70, BAC and 69candy have heaps of experience and are a great resource.
Cheers

Thanks man! Yeah I have had a look around australia and most of the cars are rusted out project cars with no engine and trans that people are still firm on like $15,000 for. I guess for me it's more about getting something that is a solid starting ground being new to mustangs and restorations as a whole. Potentially as time goes on my budget will slowly go up and up so if I ever considered importing I might have more funds to achieve a solid goal. For now just still looking for direction and of course keeping an eye on my local and interstate classifieds.

Yeah I am trying to scour something on Aussie soil first. Just keeping an eye out for whats happening don't wanna miss something good!

Thanks for both the comments guys (:

Offline Cadd

• Thoroughbred
  • 06 GT - 71 Mach 1 - 88 Foxbody GT - 17 Ecoboost
  • Name: Chris
  • Car: 71 Mach 1 + 06 GT
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 11:34:41 pm »
Interesting that I have the opposite problem I have a nice solid 68 coupe for sale(25K) and all I am getting is people who phone talk then say they can get one cheaper overseas  or from an importer  :ouch:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 11:47:34 pm »
Interesting that I have the opposite problem I have a nice solid 68 coupe for sale(25K) and all I am getting is people who phone talk then say they can get one cheaper overseas  or from an importer  :ouch:

In case the above was a little too subtle for the OP, here's the link to Cadd's car:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1968/SSE-AD-5016167/?Cr=2

Pretty much on budget and looks nice from the pics!
Cheers,
Brian

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 11:57:01 pm »
In case the above was a little too subtle for the OP, here's the link to Cadd's car:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Mustang-1968/SSE-AD-5016167/?Cr=2

Pretty much on budget and looks nice from the pics!

Thank you for the simplification. It's a smidgen ($2,000) over what I anticipated spending within the next few months. But, if Cadd still has the ad up in a while I might check it out!
Money and all that ;p

Offline Cadd

• Thoroughbred
  • 06 GT - 71 Mach 1 - 88 Foxbody GT - 17 Ecoboost
  • Name: Chris
  • Car: 71 Mach 1 + 06 GT
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 12:05:58 am »
 :grin: subtle me  :grin:

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 09:40:22 am »
At the moment with the asbestos inspections, I would be to worried about the hidden costs of removing anything that might have asbestos in it.
Brake shoes, clutch plate, head gaskets, exhaust gaskets.
Could be a drawn out process.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 02:45:25 pm »
Unless you are really tech savvy buy one here in OZ. I have been subsequently involved in a few imported mates' cars that were not much more than chicken wire and bog when they arrived here. Shiny paint hides many flaws in a lot of ex USA based cars. If you have somebody , who you trust absolutely implicitly inspect the car in the US, then perhaps take the risk but I would not. Photos alone and a "glowing" report are often proved to be total bunkum. I personally reckon $25K for a car delivered to your door ex USA is a pipe dream unless you are prepared to do a fair bit of work and bank raiding. Either way there are plenty of bods on here happy to help if things do go awry. Good luck, but do not go into this without doing lots of due diligence.    :thumb:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 03:04:44 pm »
Unless you are really tech savvy buy one here in OZ. I have been subsequently involved in a few imported mates' cars that were not much more than chicken wire and bog when they arrived here. Shiny paint hides many flaws in a lot of ex USA based cars. If you have somebody , who you trust absolutely implicitly inspect the car in the US, then perhaps take the risk but I would not. Photos alone and a "glowing" report are often proved to be total bunkum. I personally reckon $25K for a car delivered to your door ex USA is a pipe dream unless you are prepared to do a fair bit of work and bank raiding. Either way there are plenty of bods on here happy to help if things do go awry. Good luck, but do not go into this without doing lots of due diligence.    :thumb:

Mmmm I guess I have a lot of thinking to do. I guess the good thing is that there are never a shortage of Mustangs in America so bound to an import ready to go if I decide to go down that road. Thanks for your help! (:

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 07:19:37 pm »
I guess the good thing is that there are never a shortage of Mustangs in America
Only true if you have a decent and realistic budget to start with and deeper pockets.
It's getting very hard to find decent Mustangs at hopeful budget prices because they are so popular over there too, the vast majority of owners are up with the play and know what they have.
And the current US-AUS $ exchange rate has made things tougher this end.
Do your homework on import costs which include import approval, shipping, insurance, local freighting both ends, GST, inspections, customs and quarantine clearances, plus engineering assessment here, repairs/upgrades for local regs, and state registration, and perhaps asbestos removal.
The reality is that this is 2017 not 2007 and just AUS$25K won't get you much of a usable driving car in reasonable condition by the time it's imported, complied and registered, if anything at all. I suggest you hold off and save a bit more.
My 2c worth is that if you don't know your Mustangs then best get local advice and buy local. Take advantage of others' risks and hard work, or you risk buying a polished turd from overseas that once here could cost you many thousands of $$$ to put right. Lots of people even those reasonably car-savvy have fallen into that unfortunate predicament.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:25:45 pm by 67FBGT »

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
  • Name: Greg
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 08:09:44 pm »
I have to agree with the general jist of what the guys are saying here . A friend imported a 66 last year , through a dealer, had it sighted in the states , got photos .
Photos looked great .
Bucket of crap when he went to pick it up from Adelaide
Car never went home with him.
. Unless you have the knowledge to ask all the right questions And trust the guy looking at it it’s a massive risk.
I would take advantage of the ones in Australia for sale and save all the trouble.
Good luck anyway with what ever track you choose to go with  :smile01:

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 09:28:11 pm »
If I was you with $25K to spend and I liked the look of Cadd's car listed at $27K, I would seriously think about having a chat with him to see if we could work something out.  As mentioned several times in this thread, you will save hassle and money in the long run if you can find something locally.

The idea of bringing something in from the US is a romantic notion but the reality is a hard slog with a big chance of massive disappointment.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline bigmal

• Worked
  • A never ending project
  • Name: Mal
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 08:06:44 am »
I paid $25,000US for my car. After shipping, taxes, GST and agents fees it cost $50,200U landed.
The inspection wasn't worth a pinch of ..... Major chassis rust (holes) which was easilly visible if he bothered to look. I am fortunate that I can do repairs myself. If I had to pay for them it would have cost a fortune. There are some real horror stories out there about imports so if you go down that path make sure you have good refernces for the broker.
69 Mach 1

Offline jonrules12

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 06:05:46 pm »
If I was you with $25K to spend and I liked the look of Cadd's car listed at $27K, I would seriously think about having a chat with him to see if we could work something out.  As mentioned several times in this thread, you will save hassle and money in the long run if you can find something locally.

Yeah at this stage buying locally is probably the best move. But also not really an option, considering I live in the ACT and there are not really very many cars like that here. Even less for sale. So locally is more like 'in Australia already'.

Offline BAC

• Supercharged
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 07:31:55 pm »
not really an option, considering I live in the ACT and there are not really very many cars like that here.

With the size of the pool of vehicles in Australia you have to be willing to travel.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 07:49:41 pm »
The key is to get knowledgeable people to inspect the cars as they know what to look for so you don't get any nasty surprises later on (like I did).

If you see something, post it up and there may be someone who knows the car, can inspect or knows someone who can inspect it for you.

We have a guy down here in SA that has told us about some nightmares on the market (ie tonnes of bog, no VIN'S, no import approval etc).

Offline Greg H

• Stallion
  • No idea
  • Name: Greg
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 07:56:29 pm »
I’ve done Brisbane to Adelaide twice for car deals ,best part of the whole thing is the journey back home with your newly purchased car . A couple of plane tickets with a mate and it’s a nice little holiday.
For what ever reason cars and utes seem to be dearer in S.A and a good deal requires traveling.
Our power is pretty dam expensive too haha , but best find another forum to winge about that !