Technical & General Discussion Area > Importing Cars & Parts - General Freight

New to Importing, Please Help

<< < (2/20) > >>

jonrules12:

--- Quote from: 69candy on November 29, 2017, 07:47:38 pm ---I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I searched and ended up at AMC talking to Graham. He made the whole thing painless and kept me informed through the whole process. He was prob a bit dearer than some of the others but it was one price!! No hidden extra's. Bit daunting handing over cash to somebody you don't know, but have no problem recommending AMC. Gave him the name and number of the guy in the USA He picked the car up and paid for it. Next  call was when it was leaving the USA, next one was for the GST payment, and then a call to come to Adelaide to pick up my car!!. He also bought in all my parts that I needed. Have been using him over the last 8 years to bring motorbikes etc in with no problems. Totally recommend him and his crew. I will declare we have become friends with him over the years, but that was purely a bonus from our dealings. This is my personal Experience With American Muscle Cars. ( Pity he is a mopar guy ) LOL PS His containers are Asbestos free when they come into Australia now as he has it organized in the USA

--- End quote ---

Oh really? That is great news, I will probably give him a try then! (: Thank you for your recommendation man!

unilec5544:
Maybe a good idea to have a read though this first. 'Massive Asbestos Problem Brewing'
Just based on not knowing where the rules are from state to state in regards to this problem, I would be inclined to look in Australia for a decent car, even if you have to pay a bit more for a decent one.

mcarnage59:
Hey Tim,

Welcome to the forum, you will find many knowledgeable people on here that will be of enormous assistance. I am certainly no expert but for your budget I would be having a very solid look at what’s available in Australia. Sure there’s got to be some excitement and intrigue in importing your own car but there is also an opportunity to take advantage of the $$ someone local has put into a car that was previously imported and restored in oz. When I purchased my car most told me that general resto work in oz is of a higher standard than the US. With the added bonus that you are probably only a cheap airfare away from inspecting the potential purchase yourself. Many local cars are known to members of this forum and most will provide candid opinions so the risk of purchase becomes much less.
Anyway Just my thoughts, good luck whichever way you go. There are no doubt many success stories from importing as well. Guys like Glenn70, BAC and 69candy have heaps of experience and are a great resource.
Cheers

GLENN 70:
I have owned mustangs since 1981 and imported plenty since 1988 , and plenty of other cars from the USA . I have been to the USA plenty of times on buying trips , with my mates and the way things have gone this year with new laws and the Aussie dollar around 76 cents at best and even lower when you buy it , and the prices of classic mustangs in the USA ,I would be having a real good look here 1 st .  Ask questions on here and we will answer them the best we can for you . By the way welcome to the forum . :thumb:

jonrules12:

--- Quote from: GLENN 70 on November 29, 2017, 09:58:13 pm ---I have owned mustangs since 1981 and imported plenty since 1988 , and plenty of other cars from the USA . I have been to the USA plenty of times on buying trips , with my mates and the way things have gone this year with new laws and the Aussie dollar around 76 cents at best and even lower when you buy it , and the prices of classic mustangs in the USA ,I would be having a real good look here 1 st .  Ask questions on here and we will answer them the best we can for you . By the way welcome to the forum . :thumb:

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: mcarnage59 on November 29, 2017, 09:38:20 pm ---Hey Tim,

Welcome to the forum, you will find many knowledgeable people on here that will be of enormous assistance. I am certainly no expert but for your budget I would be having a very solid look at what’s available in Australia. Sure there’s got to be some excitement and intrigue in importing your own car but there is also an opportunity to take advantage of the $$ someone local has put into a car that was previously imported and restored in oz. When I purchased my car most told me that general resto work in oz is of a higher standard than the US. With the added bonus that you are probably only a cheap airfare away from inspecting the potential purchase yourself. Many local cars are known to members of this forum and most will provide candid opinions so the risk of purchase becomes much less.
Anyway Just my thoughts, good luck whichever way you go. There are no doubt many success stories from importing as well. Guys like Glenn70, BAC and 69candy have heaps of experience and are a great resource.
Cheers

--- End quote ---

Thanks man! Yeah I have had a look around australia and most of the cars are rusted out project cars with no engine and trans that people are still firm on like $15,000 for. I guess for me it's more about getting something that is a solid starting ground being new to mustangs and restorations as a whole. Potentially as time goes on my budget will slowly go up and up so if I ever considered importing I might have more funds to achieve a solid goal. For now just still looking for direction and of course keeping an eye on my local and interstate classifieds.

Yeah I am trying to scour something on Aussie soil first. Just keeping an eye out for whats happening don't wanna miss something good!

Thanks for both the comments guys (:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version