After market exhaust

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: After market exhaust  (Read 13994 times)

Offline BRUMBE

• Stallion
  • 2017 GT convertible
  • Name: Tim
After market exhaust
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:04:23 pm »
Hello all.

I know there has been some chat about after market exhausts but seeking views now.

I have a GT convertible.  My first V8 - but its too quiet (common complaint).

I do not want loud but do want deep grumble under acceleration.

Have been listening on YouTube and am keen on Borla S-type axle back.  Not going for the Roush axle back.  Dealer has also suggested Hurricane but can't find a video (to listen) on this.

Grateful comments and suggestions for axle-back system.

Offline booah

• Worked
Re: After market exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »
Ive got the Borla Atak and its not drone loud, but it is loud. As far as a deep rumble, its not that. Its raspy more than rumble.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:56:31 pm »
I fitted some aftermarket mufflers on mine ,not axle back just the mufflers and no drone .  I left the rest of the exhaust system std .  The only time it drones a little if you can call it that ,is when the automatic changes into 5 gear to early when driving slowly ,so I tap it back by the paddle .  It's not the exhaust it's the early gear changing causing the problems ,the revs are to low for the speed to car is doing and  the engine is  under load . I can't remember the brand of the mufflers but will find out tomorrow and let you know . I fitted a K&N panel filter also .

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:49:46 am »
I'd highly recommend the MBRP exhausts. Available from CJPony and if you wait till Black Friday sales (soonish Nov?), then likely landed in Aus for less  than $1200. Fitment can't be easier too.

I have the race, which is LOAD with awesome rumble and even at idle it has a real muscle car throb thanks to the H-pipe. For the same effect, just a bit less loud, I'd go the street version.

Offline GTA302

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: pete
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:29:19 pm »
Hi brumbe,
I did exactly what you are doing before I did my exhaust, You Tube & forums etc looking opinions on the Invidia Q300 sport cat back , to cut a long story short I went Invidia and ended up putting a Borla touring resonator in after two weeks, peoples opinion of loudness and drone vary greatly as I found out. some people do long trips and some short around town driving. best listen to the exhaust your thinking of going with on a car and for more than a few minutes if you can, if your in Sydneys west I'd be happy for you to have a listen mine.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:27:04 pm by GTA302 »

Offline JasonK

• Worked
  • On first name terms with all Petrol Station staff!
  • Name: Jason
  • Car: 2015 GT Convertible
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:57:00 am »

I have a GT convertible.  My first V8 - but its too quiet (common complaint).

I do not want loud but do want deep grumble under acceleration.

Have been listening on YouTube and am keen on Borla S-type axle back.

I have a GT convertible as well, I had experimented with having the factory resonator deleted, and then bit the bullet and got the Borla S-type cat-back installed. And I love it. It is quite loud, but that is the point.

Offline peter1950

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 05:15:10 pm »
I put a cat back exhaust (with quad chrome tips) on mine from Windsor Exhaust at Richmond NSW. I have always had my exhausts done by these guys and they do a fantastic job.
They have been in the industry for a long, long time and are renowned for their workmanship by hot rodders, truckies, car enthusiasts and they will build you system to your specs.
In my case I hate "drone" and loud but not too loud. My end product is fantastic!

Offline Sharkierulz

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 01:03:12 pm »
MBRP Stainless exhausts on special at CJPony for Black Friday.  Either Race or Street cat-backs for less than AUD $1100 landed (in Brisbane). THIS IS A BARGAIN!!!

The build quality is excellent and the sound is simply awesome, I highly recommend this. Absolutely love mine ... see my thread for photos of what the race version looks like.

Offline POPS 67

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 02:27:31 pm »
GLENN 70 are you able to advise the brand of muffler you installed on your car as per a previous post of yours, thanks.
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 03:15:29 pm »
Anyone tried fitting a cross pipe with resonator removal?
Was wondering what change there is.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »
Pops ,the exhaust shop I used closed and I can't see a brand name on the mufflers .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 04:36:22 pm »
Clubman 7 ,I just changed the rear mufflers and left the rest . A   H pipe will give a deeper sound over a X pipe to my understanding of exhaust systems .

Offline mach1969

• Pony
  • Welcome to the Mustang Forum
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 04:48:29 pm »
hi if you want to hear what the Hurricane exhaust sounds like ring Liverpool exhaust speak to Chev they fit all the hurricane systems which they fit to the dealers cars have seen looks great sounds good Cheers :event:

Offline Clubman7

• Worked
  • Cruising.
  • Name: Brett
  • Car: 1966 coupe, 2016 GT.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 05:17:25 pm »
Happy with the muffler change Glenn?
Don’t want to go to too much modification, but just want to hear some engine noise.
And not from the sound generator thingy under the bonnet.
What mufflers did you go for?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 07:21:28 pm »
Yes all I did was change the rear mufflers with 2.5 inch straight through mufflers ,but not sure the brand and the shop has gone . I also fitted a K&N panel filter off e bay for around $100 at my door .At a good guess it's picked up around 30 HP  plus at the wheels ,no tune just those done .. Why I say 30 HP + is at willow bank drags at 1/2 track stock was 82 mph , now 86 mph , so that means close to a 40 HP gain . Has not done anything with the top end tho ,stock was 108/109 mph ,now 109/110 mph . Total spent ,   $600 with chrome tips all fitted . I have seen some with headers ,full twin 3 inch exhaust ,cold air intake and tune only do 86 / 88 mph half track ,but 114-116 mph if they were luckyat the finish . $600 vs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ big bucks  =  :shrug: not in my books . I also get 8.1 lt per 100 Klm at 100 kph on the hwy .

Offline POPS 67

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 01:37:15 pm »
Has changing/modifying exhausts had any effect on the cars insurance premium. I note that one of the questions on the application for insurance is "has the car had any modifications" if the answer is yes do they bump up the premium?  :sick:
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Offline MikeG

• Forum Sponsor
  • Pony
  • Phone: 1800 985 925
    • Best Exhaust
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 08:10:30 am »
Best Exhaust is offering 20% off all Mustang Borla exhausts in March.  Voucher code MUSTANG20.

Now is the time to buy...

Free shipping, and some systems are in stock in Australia so you can get it next day if you're on the east coast.

http://www.bestexhaust.com.au/store/borla-ford-mustang-2015-back-type-p-14174.html

M

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 11:43:11 am »
Im really surprised you dont want the roush axle back, I fitted the roush to our S500, as an axle back, its quite when in the driveway, has a nice deep rumble under acceleration, does not drone when cruising, and has zero raspiness, very happy with it, I didnt fit it for performance, only to give it a little bit extra sound, I like the belnd of quiet at idle and deeper note under acceleration, its great for what I wanted.

I agree with others comments, exhuast note is a personal choice, what one likes others dislike, so get what feels right for you, try attending a club event, where you can talk to owners and listen to the cars first hand, it will help in your decision.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 10:16:47 pm »
I've got the Borla Touring cat back which has a nice deep sound but not too loud.

Offline MikeG

• Forum Sponsor
  • Pony
  • Phone: 1800 985 925
    • Best Exhaust
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 02:30:11 pm »
The S-Type is just the  Touring with a centre xpipe rather than a resonator.  If the S-Type is too loud for you, you can buy the x-pipe to replace it separately.

Offline Old guy

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 11:34:51 am »
Here's 438,000 youtube clips. All sorts of Stang exhaust sounds.

Enjoy......

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mustang+v8+exhaust+sound+