Fuel Tank Lining Breakdown

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Fuel Tank Lining Breakdown  (Read 2928 times)

Offline MachDave

• Thoroughbred
Fuel Tank Lining Breakdown
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:28:45 am »
The photos below were taken with a mini camera, and they are of the inside of a drained 7 year old repro fuel tank.  The tank was fitted new in 2010 in the USA.  Since I imported the car in 2011, I have only used either Ultimate 98 or V-Power, with the occasional Nulon additive, and no, have never used E10 or ethanol based fuels.

Currently looking at options:
- New steel tank (ie. no lining ???)
- New stainless steel tank
- Relining the tank (there is a kit available) - cheaper than a new tank but not sure of quality here

Just wondering if anyone else has has similar experience with the fuel tank lining breakdown?
Happy to hear some constructive feedback.

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
Re: Fuel Tank Lining Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:58:05 am »
Lining? I didn't know they had a lining? Surely the tanks are just plain galvanized steel? Well, I've fitted two new reproduction ones to my Mustangs and that's all they have been, from what I could see when I peered inside them.
If there is a coating of some sort in your tank then I strongly suspect it was once one of those 'tank treatment' products, meaning that the tank was not in fact new but an older tank that had been 'reconditioned'. ??? It looks very rusty now with some kind of black coating in part which is bubbling and detaching, and the zinc coating which is the protection to the steel has been largely eaten away. Not at all good.

I once tried one of those 'tank treatment' systems - it was a 3 step process - in a '67 Mustang tank with internal surface rust but couldn't be 100% confident of the result. But I never used it as the then-new (this was in NZ in mid '90's) no-lead fuels arriving on the market already had a reputation as being chemically aggressive (numerous owners of older vehicles had problems with fuel lines and carby parts rotting from the inside out, some cars caught fire) so I didn't know whether the proprietary coating would stand up to them. And in any case the tank's exterior - the visible surfaces - didn't look that great (a scrape, a dent, and weathered appearance). So I eventually opted to just fit a shiny new tank, after all it is quite visible at the back. Did the same with my next Mustang.

I think you should ditch yours and fit a new one for peace of mind, it looks pretty far gone. My 2c worth anyway.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:09:38 am by 67FBGT »

Offline Husky350

• Worked
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:35:00 am »
For what it's worth, there are two types of replacement tanks going around.
There are the spectra ni-terne steel ones made in Canada, which is sold under a few different names(scott drake, etc). Then there are the asian(tawain) made ones.
I have had both sitting in my garage. The difference was night and day, including the welds. The asian one had a coating that looked like it was chipping already, like a real crappy galvanized coating. You can tell the difference by looking at them. The ni-terne will look have an appearance similar to roofing gutters, a little shiny. The asian tank was just a flat bland looking galvanized piece.

I would replace your tank and get a good ni-terne steel one. Most mustang shops in australia stock them, however some of the shops stock the asian tank. Pm me if you want to know who.

You should probably replace your fuel lines at the same time too.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:37:09 am by Husky65 »

Offline MachDave

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 05:54:19 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys
I now have the tank out of the car, so can provide a little update.
The tank is definitely a repro, it has a "Made In Canada" sticker on the top, presume this is the ni-terne steel type.
Top of the inside of the tank has plenty of surface rust, and no lining at all.
The sender unit is rusty as.
Seems I was wrong on the lining thing - the black deposits in the first photo, I can only put down to old fuel perhaps.

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:34:25 pm »
Just get a stainless steel tank!  Whilst it is only 304 grade stainless steel, I would think it is more durable than any galvanised treatments.  When I changed my tank I did a lot of research and went Stainless Steel purchase from CJ Pony.

Rgds

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:05 am »
only 304 grade stainless steel
Nothing wrong with 304 grade! Your kitchen sink is most likely 304, not a marine grade like 316.
I didn't know you could get them in stainless, excellent.

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 03:25:07 pm »
There are some options on CJpony and other merchants
http://www.cjponyparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fuel+tank

Dont forget to get some flexible caulk strip also!

Did you check your fuel line also?  Mine was the orignal one and was full of crap - changed it for a stainless steel line, not easy to change as I got the line in 1 piece ( suitable for the early 67 models)  but managed to get it in via the rear of the car.

Rgds